Def low gauge on 2015

DEF is PEE....did you know that? Processed PEE... Urea.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_Exhaust_Fluid

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urea

Not quite. Urea in DEF is created from synthetic ammonia and carbon dioxide. It is synthetic urea. Urea just happens to be a chemical found in urine, and it is only a 2-4% amount in urine. Urea concentration in DEF is 32.5%

• 4 weeks later...

The 2yr 24k miles covers the def. Max oil change is 4 times. However the def doesnt say anthing about the number of times. I can only assume when ever the light comes on to take to the dealer and they will top it off. Luckily for me theres 2 chevy dealers one each way north and south no more than 15 miles each.

• 2 months later...

My understanding is the dealerships are no longer being reimbursed for Fuel or DEF from GM.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back to mine to get the def tank filled under the 2 year/ 24000km program and was politely told they never heard of this being offered by GM, service writer said i needed to talk to my salesperson, what a joke. At 11% tank level my dic said i could only go 160kms. I filled the tank at this p[oint and it took 23.5 litres of def to refill the tank to the top of the filler neck. Still have to have a lil heart to heart with my sales person.

• 3 months later...

I read somewhere that you were not suppose to fill it to the very top b/c of potential freezing. the article said that when you get the def low (1000) miles left warning, to put in 31/2 gal and that will take care of it. My 1st warning came at 1600 miles. I put in 3 gal and it is probably gonna warn me soon. Oil change is at 17% and def is around 19 % level. I have a 2015 HD 2500. I live in Indiana.

• 1 month later...

Mine went 1600 miles before I got the message. I put 3 gal in it and the level got down to about 18% at my 1st Oil Change at somewhere around 6000 Miles. Def will freeze in cold weather so that may be why some dealer don't fill them until they sell them. The other possibility is that GM allows x number of dollars for dealer prep and by not Topping off the Def . That adds to the dealer's profit margin. I am betting that if you were to take it back to the dealer and called them on it, they would top it off with no questions ask. I am betting that most of us don't follow through with it and just buy our own. The dealers are like Obama. Spreading the wealth. :nopity:

• 2 weeks later...

Freezing def does not hurt it. The heater can thaw it fast enough to meet the engines needs.

Dealers not filling the tank at delivery is by far the most common complaint from new owners on the diesel forums.

As others posted, the dealer is supposed to fill it at time of delivery.

I asked my dealer today about this and they stated the factory only puts 2 gallons in before they ship them out. During the PDI, they do fill them, but are not required to, just like the gas/diesel. GM decided to stop paying for the fuel, so now it's up to the dealer to eat that cost or not give any fuel..

The Dealer is responsible for maintenance including up to 4 oil changes and the DEF for the first 24 months. I went round and round with a Texas Dealership. I wound up contacting Chevrolet and they confirmed the DEF was to be included.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked my dealer today about this and they stated the factory only puts 2 gallons in before they ship them out. During the PDI, they do fill them, but are not required to, just like the gas/diesel. GM decided to stop paying for the fuel, so now it's up to the dealer to eat that cost or not give any fuel..

GM techlink article would suggest they are supposed to fill def tank just before delivery.

Big difference between adding $15 worth of def and the cost of a tank of fuel.

Many dealers add (or try to add) some sort of service fee onto the deal. They have no good excuse for not filling it.

Archived