My truck doesn't have an autodimming rearview mirror

I love all the posts that start with "I paid $50k for my truck" and it should wipe my butt for me. LMAO

You're completely missing the point. The gripe is that a more expensive truck with more features took a step backwards with this mirror than the previous body style truck that cost almost $10,000 LESS. A feature that has become relatively standard among most manufacturers. I'm guessing if you're next truck came with only an AM radio, you'd still be happy paying $40k or $50k for it because at the end of the day, "its a truck maaaaaaan" right?

• Like 1

My SLE has auto dimming mirror. I'm not sure if it was part of the 'preferred package' that got me heated mirrors and a few other goodies. Truth be told, I don't really think the mirror works very well in my truck because of the tinted rear window.

It worked great on my last truck which also had a tinted rear window. I think it's just a crappier mirror now if you do have it. The one in my wife's Hyundai doesn't work as well as the one in my last truck and she has no tint on any windows. It's just typical GM cutting costs on the stupidest crap with cheap parts.

• 3 months later...

My SLE has auto dimming mirror. I'm not sure if it was part of the 'preferred package' that got me heated mirrors and a few other goodies. Truth be told, I don't really think the mirror works very well in my truck because of the tinted rear window.

I know this is a pretty late reply to your post, but I just recently got my truck.

If it doesn't appear to work very well, most likely you do not have the auto dimming mirror. Check behind the mirror for the flip lever. IMO, it's pretty awkward to operate since naturally you, at least I do, want to put your thumb right on the Onstar button to pull the lever down.

Two things that my 2011 Silverado LT didn't have that I really wanted and couldn't seem to find on the lot...auto dimming mirror and back up camera. Fixed it myself by installing a mirror/backup camera combo. Best mod I ever did on that truck...

This time around, I made sure the 2014 had both...but ended up with an LTZ with all sorts of stuff...oh well. Of course that's not the only reason I bought the LTZ, but the way they do packages had a lot to do with it. Nicest truck I have ever owned!

• Like 1

Since I install a backup camera (image - inside the mirror) it also came with GM (On-Star) inside rearview auto-dimming. This is real nice. It is about the same size as my regular mirror but the visibility (sharper etc.) is so much better. I like it very much. It matches 2014 Chevy OEM On Star rear view mirror equipment. Works very good with tinted windows.

Key Benefits:

Identical to the system available from your GM dealer with all On-Star functions

High quality, OEM approved components and construction

No loss of features in your current mirror or vehicle

Parking gridlines

Auto dimming mirror

I only saw this type mirror (inside rearview auto-dimming only with On Star functions) listed as standard equipment on the High Country, LTZ Z71, and LTZ. GM doesn't seem to offer it on the other models even as an option. If you want this mirror with On-Star functions maybe you can get the Chevy part number and order it directly through Chevy. It should be a plug and play setup.

Maybe someone could double check to see if the wire harness and plug going to the mirror that High Country, LTZ Z71 and LTZ has, is the same for all other trucks. If it is, it will only be a simple mirror replacement.

Edited by PMattras
  • Like 1

Since I install a backup camera (image - inside the mirror) it also came with GM (On-Star) inside rearview auto-dimming. This is real nice. It is about the same size as my regular mirror but the visibility (sharper etc.) is so much better. I like it very much. It matches 2014 Chevy OEM On Star rear view mirror equipment. Works very good with tinted windows.

Key Benefits:

Identical to the system available from your GM dealer with all On-Star functions

High quality, OEM approved components and construction

No loss of features in your current mirror or vehicle

Parking gridlines

Auto dimming mirror

I only saw this type mirror (inside rearview auto-dimming only with On Star functions) listed as standard equipment on the High Country, LTZ Z71, and LTZ. GM doesn't seem to offer it on the other models even as an option. If you want this mirror with On-Star functions maybe you can get the Chevy part number and order it directly through Chevy. It should be a plug and play setup.

Maybe someone could double check to see if the wire harness and plug going to the mirror that High Country, LTZ Z71 and LTZ has, is the same for all other trucks. If it is, it will only be a simple mirror replacement.

2015 Auto dimming is standard on both levels of LTZ (1LZ and 2LZ) and on High Country (3LZ)

It is available on LS and 1LT (but not 2LT), but only with DPN power camper mirrors (not the new DQS mirors)

Not available on Work Truck (1WT).

• 8 months later...

Are the dealers able to upgrade the mirror to an auto dimming rear view mirror? What is the build code for auto dimming mirrors? Thanks!

Yeah most likely. You can also go the aftermarket route which I'll probably do eventually. My dad added one to my mom's Honda from an aftermarket auto dealer. I want to say it was a couple hundred bucks installed.

This has to be one of the worst packaging decisions on the new trucks. Being forced to buy a top trim truck for an auto dim mirror? No thanks.

If I had noticed it when I purchased, I would have tried to negotiate adding one as a condition of sale. I refuse to be forced into higher trim levels for stupid crap like this. I maintain that a $43k truck should have an auto dimming mirror period.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't pay any where near the 43K that my truck was stickered at but I was disappointed about not having an auto dim mirror but have a crap load of buttons I do not want or will even use. I also have a Grand Cherokee Laredo which is the base model that cost about the same as my truck and it has more options including auto dim rear and side mirrors. It is what it is and was not a deal breaker when I bought the truck.

You're missing the point. I'm not that inconvenienced by operating a lever. It's the principle of it though this is a nicer and more expensive truck than my last one and it sucks taking a step backwards with some features when my payments are higher. And I want to wine about it.

They took a step backwards in '07 by replacing the red safety lights on the door panels with cheap reflectors. Then they left the cheap reflectors off my 2014 LTZ completely!! So GM's been "backing up" for several years!!

I was just thinking that yesterday when I was driving. I have those stupid worthless OnStar buttons all along the bottom of the mirror, a useless service I will never pay a dime for, but I don't have autodimming.

Ya, I agree. Why did they waste these buttons on the mirror for on-star. Three of them too!!!! Why three?

Also be happy about the auto dimming not being there, I hate the damn thing. There is no way to turn it off so I have to put a piece of paper over the sensor. It would have been nice if they used one of the on-star buttons as a manual off switch for it.