My truck doesn't have an autodimming rearview mirror

I must be the only one on here that likes the auto dimming feature. My last Silverado, an LT, didn't have it so I put one in that had a rear camera in it as well. Never having another truck without auto dimming mirror again. It works just fine for me...

I also like the outside driver dimming mirror and wish passenger side dimmed too. Really helps with headlights at night and bright sunsets as dusk.

Edited by chuckl1218
  • Like 1

I must be the only one on here that likes the auto dimming feature. My last Silverado, an LT, didn't have it so I put one in that had a rear camera in it as well. Never having another truck without auto dimming mirror again. It works just fine for me...

I also like the outside driver dimming mirror and wish passenger side dimmed too. Really helps with headlights at night and bright sunsets as dusk.

I agree with you and had the autodimming mirror in my last two trucks. It is a lot better than my manual mirror and is a little bit bigger view. I could never get the manual mirror set right so my tailgate looked leveled. No issues with autodimming mirror and I don't know what people are complaining about. It works great especially for a regular cab. The only problem - to keep it original to the truck (stock equipment) you have to get the On Star autodimming mirror which adds to the cost. My came with the backup camera which I prefer as well because I normally look in the mirror anyways with a double view and one place to look. Just something I got use to and like it better after two trucks.

Edited by PMattras

When I was looking at silverados dealer tried to show me an LT. I told him id not be spending that kind of money on a truck without basic features i already have including auto dimming mirror. He tried to tell me none of them had it lol

Not sure if this will help, but... On my Chevy Cruze, I purchased an LT. The LT did not come with the dimming mirror. The LTZ does. Everyone I talked with said it wouldn't work. I ordered the Cruze LTZ Mirror and the plug from the mirror fit into the car wiring harness. But... the harness for the LT is missing a pin that is included in the harness for the LTZ. I think it was a power lead switched on/off with the ignition. I was able to run a wire to the fuse box and a pin into the mirror harness. It worked.

So if I had not gotten the Silverado 1500 LTZ, I would have at least ordered the mirror and figured out which pin was missing from the harness.

• 10 months later...

2016 Sierra

DD8 Mirror, inside rearview auto-dimming
base - Included and only available with (DPN) power camper mirrors.
SLE - Included and only available with (GAT) All Terrain Package or (DPN) power camper mirrors.
SLT - standard

I hate the auto dimming feature and actually cover the sensor with a piece of a post it. I don't like how it makes it hard to see what exactly is behind me.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

would you like to trade for an Onstar mirror without auto dim? If so, pm me.

would you like to trade for an Onstar mirror without auto dim? If so, pm me.

I got one I´d be interested in selling . Bought it for my 14 but chose to add tint rear window instead. Let me know .

• Like 1

My $41,500 MSRP sticker price LT supposedly has the auto dimming mirror because I have the heated side mirrors. At least from reading this thread. I think the heated side mirrors has something to do with having the rear window defroster since turning the rear defroster on turns on the heat for the side mirrors. It's not a big deal for me since I really don't use that mirror. I don't even use it when backing up because I got used to using my side mirrors only when I got my CDL A. Then this '14 has the backup camera so I really have no use for the rearview mirror.

But, I do remember my '98 Silverado having the auto dimming rearview mirror.

Edited by SouthernSilveradoGuy85

MY 2015

LS, 1LT - Included and only available with (DPN) power camper mirrors.

LTZ HC - standard

not available on 1WT, 2LT

MY2016, MY2017

WT, LS, Custom, 1LT - Included and only available with (DPN) power camper mirrors.
LTZ, HC - standard
2LT - not available

Auto dimming is great on a long highway drive at night where you still want the mirrors aimed where you can see traffic, but don't want to be totally blinded every time you look. I also like it when I back out of my dark garage into bright sunlight - easier on the eyes.

Yet another reason to keep my '07 around.