My truck doesn't have an autodimming rearview mirror

• 1 year later...

Want an autodimming rearview mirror? Still a few new OEM ones for '16-'18 left at $35 shipped on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/310771934015

Only one wire needed to get it running.....tap into the #2 red wire on the mirror and connect the other end to a 12v switched power source.....easiest is to feed unbder the headliner and down the "A" pillar to the driver side fuse block and tap into the heated steering wheel, ign or spare fuses using a plug in fuse tap. No change to the OEM wiring harness and maintains all OnStar functions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Want an autodimming rearview mirror? Still a few new OEM ones for '16-'18 left at $35 shipped on Ebay

Only one wire needed to get it running.....tap into the #2 red wire on the mirror and connect the other end to a 12v switched power source.....easiest is to feed unbder the headliner and down the "A" pillar to the driver side fuse block and tap into the heated steering wheel, ign or spare fuses using a plug in fuse tap. No change to the OEM wiring harness and maintains all OnStar functions.

I do make a harness with the pins on each end to land this to their OEM locations. For the power, it has a dedicated spot on the X51L Fuse Panel (Driver Side Fuse Panel). Also, if you have upgraded to the DL3 Mirrors, there are 2 additional wires (Dimming signals) that come from the Rear View that feed the driver side mirror.

1edd026a225f6344f534b45bf1480995.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 5/31/2014 at 8:48 PM, Silverado-Hareek said:

I just realized that today after 4 months of ownership. It's my fault though. I should have checked closer instead of assuming a $44,000 truck would come with that like my $32,000 2007 truck did. Sometimes GM you really know how to stick it to your customers, especially the loyal ones. Anyway I'm done ranting. Now it's time to look for an aftermarket mirror.

Neither manufacturers nor dealers are very good at telling you what a vehicle doesn't have.

My $41,500 MSRP sticker price LT supposedly has the auto dimming mirror because I have the heated side mirrors. At least from reading this thread. I think the heated side mirrors has something to do with having the rear window defroster since turning the rear defroster on turns on the heat for the side mirrors. It's not a big deal for me since I really don't use that mirror. I don't even use it when backing up because I got used to using my side mirrors only when I got my CDL A. Then this '14 has the backup camera so I really have no use for the rearview mirror.

But, I do remember my '98 Silverado having the auto dimming rearview mirror.

Is this true? The rear defrost also turns on the side mirrors? I’ve had my truck two years and haven’t figured this out

• Like 1

Is this true? The rear defrost also turns on the side mirrors? I’ve had my truck two years and haven’t figured this out

Yep. It’s in the manual too. If you have manual adjust DE2 mirrors, they are not heated. But DL8, DL3, DPN, DQS (check your glove box for these RPO codes) are all heated.

4 hours ago, Thomcat said:

Are these legit? Did you buy one from this seller? That's a great price.

4 hours ago, pgamboa said:

I do make a harness with the pins on each end to land this to their OEM locations. For the power, it has a dedicated spot on the X51L Fuse Panel (Driver Side Fuse Panel). Also, if you have upgraded to the DL3 Mirrors, there are 2 additional wires (Dimming signals) that come from the Rear View that feed the driver side mirror.

1edd026a225f6344f534b45bf1480995.jpg

How much is your harness for this?

Hahaha.  My 17 has autodim which is alright but most would hate it..  the truck has heated 10 way dual power cloth seats, center console, Bose sound with the sub in the console, power pedals, homelink, power rear slider, 7" touch screen, command start... and.... manual climate control.  Yup.. no dual zone automatic in it lol.  Doesn't have fog lights either hahaha.  Its unique lol.

Has anyone done a in-depth write up about how they took it all apart and added it with the DL8 to DL3 mirrors? I want to do it and am decently mechanically inclined. I did the center console swap but this is definitely next on my list

• Like 1

Has anyone done a in-depth write up about how they took it all apart and added it with the DL8 to DL3 mirrors? I want to do it and am decently mechanically inclined. I did the center console swap but this is definitely next on my list

No write up, but I make/sell a DIY Kit to modify your factory harnesses when upgrading from DL8 to DL3 Mirrors. So if you have this as a future upgrade, I include the pre-terminated wires for the auto dimming side.

So... for $65 Shipped, you can make the modification now, and have it all ready for DL3 Mirrors. If you already have DL3 mirrors and functional harnesses, you’ll only need to add 2 wires on the driver side.

On 5/6/2018 at 2:19 PM, DEV1ST8R said:

Are these legit? Did you buy one from this seller? That's a great price.

It.s legit......real new GM part with correct part number..........bought and installed works fine. Tested by blocking photocell on the front of the mirror and shining a flashlight into the sensor...responds fairly quickly.

One wire hookup to pin #2 red wire on the mirror, grounds through the OnStar module. Pin #1 can be connected to the backup light if you wish to have the mirror lighten when backing up....no need for it if you have a backup camera or a sliding rear window. Might be better to go with a harness if you are also hooking up an outside driver's dimming mirror.

Easier and cheaper to go with a one wire hookup.....skin a little off the red wire and solder a length of wire and feed it to the drivers fuse box. Use a $6 fuse tap which provides space for the original fuse, add a 5 amp fuse for the mirror and that's it for a total of $40.99 plus a length of wire and a blob of solder.DSCN0269.JPG.c67a17f00ca466c466c512a0287323f4.JPG

• Like 2

On 5/6/2018 at 2:40 PM, SierraHD17 said:

Hahaha.  My 17 has autodim which is alright but most would hate it..  the truck has heated 10 way dual power cloth seats, center console, Bose sound with the sub in the console, power pedals, homelink, power rear slider, 7" touch screen, command start... and.... manual climate control.  Yup.. no dual zone automatic in it lol.  Doesn't have fog lights either hahaha.  Its unique lol.

Good grief what kind of a freak truck did you find? haha.  It's half High Country half WT

Doesn’t surprise me, way back in 1970 my dad bought a truck that was ordered not bought. It was a CST 402, two tone paint fully loaded. It even had black roof over hugger orange. Tack dash. It had a three on the tree, who does that? He get on it and the linkage would bind wouldn’t go into second. It even had drum brakes. He got a deal cause most people wanted an automatic.