Cargo Lights on with Reverse Lights

I don't but you are correct. It works great!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Here... white stripes goes on the pink connector end. 1cb1fb709f84bb71e1e4ead3b8703a33.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Just did this on my 2018 Sierra after reading the thread with a little piece of burner wire to test it out.  i confirmed these:

1. When the light sensor is covered and you unlock the doors with the fob cargo and reverse lights come on (expected)
    • When you open the door after that you can see the cargo lights switch indicator light is also on (makes sense)
  2. With the truck off, and all the lights off (and the light sensor uncovered) when you turn on the cargo lights, the reverse lights come on as well. (expected)
  3. With the truck on, and in reverse, Cargo lights come on with Reverse lights (expected)
  4. With the truck on, and in park, (or neutral) hit the cargo lights switch and the reverse lights come on with the cargo lights. (expected)
    • ALSO back-up camera turns on. (makes sense, but unexpected)
    • ALSO you get the info center notice that the "cargo lights are enabled" (expected)
  5. Hit the switch again and the cargo and reverse lights turn off (expected)
    • Camera turns off (makes sense, and now expected)
    • info center notice that "cargo lights are disabled" (expected)
  6. Final unexpected condition (and I cannot confirm what's happening outside the truck as i am by myself at the moment)
    • In DRIVE, hit the cargo lights switch
    • get the info center notice "cargo lights enabled" but NO cargo light switch indicator light.
    • rear camera also does not turn on

I'm assuming that the lights on the outside will also not come on in this last condition as this is normal operation for this switch (at least in the 2018's) where you can enable the cargo lights and they are physically off in drive, and when you shift in to neutral or park they physically turn on as the switch sets the condition, but it is controlled/overridden by BCM depending on the gear shifter position.

This all makes sense to me and its a super easy quick mod to do, but i think i'll be doing it with the diode as i personally DO want the cargo lights on when i unlock at night and when i back-up, but I DON'T want the reverse lights on every time I put on the cargo lights.  It seems to me that the back-up camera will not be affected with the diode setup, although that is a nifty side effect i must say.

Thanks to everyone who figured this one out!

Edited by slide187
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, slide187 said:

Just did this on my 2018 Sierra after reading the thread with a little piece of burner wire to test it out.  i confirmed these:

1. When the light sensor is covered and you unlock the doors with the fob cargo and reverse lights come on (expected)
    • When you open the door after that you can see the cargo lights switch indicator light is also on (makes sense)
  2. With the truck off, and all the lights off (and the light sensor uncovered) when you turn on the cargo lights, the reverse lights come on as well. (expected)
  3. With the truck on, and in reverse, Cargo lights come on with Reverse lights (expected)
  4. With the truck on, and in park, (or neutral) hit the cargo lights switch and the reverse lights come on with the cargo lights. (expected)
    • ALSO back-up camera turns on. (makes sense, but unexpected)
    • ALSO you get the info center notice that the "cargo lights are enabled" (expected)
  5. Hit the switch again and the cargo and reverse lights turn off (expected)
    • Camera turns off (makes sense, and now expected)
    • info center notice that "cargo lights are disabled" (expected)
  6. Final unexpected condition (and I cannot confirm what's happening outside the truck as i am by myself at the moment)
    • In DRIVE, hit the cargo lights switch
    • get the info center notice "cargo lights enabled" but NO cargo light switch indicator light.
    • rear camera also does not turn on

I'm assuming that the lights on the outside will also not come on in this last condition as this is normal operation for this switch (at least in the 2018's) where you can enable the cargo lights and they are physically off in drive, and when you shift in to neutral or park they physically turn on as the switch sets the condition, but it is controlled/overridden by BCM depending on the gear shifter position.

This all makes sense to me and its a super easy quick mod to do, but i think i'll be doing it with the diode as i personally DO want the cargo lights on when i unlock at night and when i back-up, but I DON'T want the reverse lights on every time I put on the cargo lights.  It seems to me that the back-up camera will not be affected with the diode setup, although that is a nifty side effect i must say.

Thanks to everyone who figured this one out!

1.  I went into the settings on my '18 truck, and turned that particular feature OFF.  As I recall, it's in the "Convenience settings."  ALTHOUGH, my Puddle Lights fully work with the doors open, no MOD necessary, like was needed on my '15. 

1.  I went into the settings on my '18 truck, and turned that particular feature OFF.  As I recall, it's in the "Convenience settings."  ALTHOUGH, my Puddle Lights fully work with the doors open, no MOD necessary, like was needed on my '15. 

The auto light sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 6/18/2019 at 6:17 PM, slide187 said:

The auto light sensor?

with/without it being covered, you can go into vehicle settings and disable those lights.

The puddle lights on the mirrors? Ya lost me here. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ I’m talking about the cargo lights and the reverse lights. And I have no settings for any of the three.

• 2 months later...

It doesn’t. The computer still controls that part of it. This mod will allow the cargo lights on with reverse, OR the reverse lights on with the cargo lights depending on which way you put the diode in. And if you want BOTH, you just do it with a wire. Only side effect of that seems to be that your backup cam comes on when you hit the cargo light switch in any gear.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/3/2014 at 1:26 PM, jburch77 said:

Did this work? Were you satisfied with the result?

Hello:

I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab. I have tried over and over to get the diode to work and I just cannot get it. I connect one end of the diode into the blue wire and the other end into the  brown wire with the white stripe on it. On mines there is two brown wires in it. I just do not know what I am doing wrong, I have changed the diode around still nothing. I help someone can help me with this. For the brown wire with white stripe on it will this wire be for the cargo light.

Have anyone changed out the cargo lights and put led bulbs in the dealership said that it will not work cause of the current.

Thanks

On 11/10/2020 at 4:50 AM, donaldson55 said:

Hello:

I have a 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 crew cab. I have tried over and over to get the diode to work and I just cannot get it. I connect one end of the diode into the blue wire and the other end into the  brown wire with the white stripe on it. On mines there is two brown wires in it. I just do not know what I am doing wrong, I have changed the diode around still nothing. I help someone can help me with this. For the brown wire with white stripe on it will this wire be for the cargo light.

Have anyone changed out the cargo lights and put led bulbs in the dealership said that it will not work cause of the current.

Thanks

It should look like mine, in my previous post (June12).  Pink has 27 (27 is empty), Brown has 26, put the striped end in Pink26 (Brown/white), and the other in Brown26 (Brown/blue).  If you have it that way, please post a closeup of your BCM, so we can further help you.

Edited by Ravenkeeper