Cargo Lights on with Reverse Lights

I only want the LED's to come on when I turn on the Cargo lights. I want to be able to turn them on manually which the cargo light switch when backing my trailer or when I need someone to dim their brights. So can I just hook them to the #26 spot on the pink plug? Do I still need the diode? Will the cargo light work when in drive or reverse? I have a 2014 SLT.

Which LEDs are you referring to, the ones in the bed or the ones that come on the new style tow mirrors like I was talking about? 2014 1500 and early 15 2500s they will not work when in reverse or drive unless you do the diode mod. They will come on with the cargo lights in park and neutral.

I am referring to the LED'S on the mirrors. What you said is what I thought. I am thinking about trying to find a power source that is always on and putting a toggle in so I can turn them off and on anytime I want.

you could also do as I am and add a toggle switch to the diode in the mod in this thread that would allow you to have the cargo lights (including rear facing mirror leds) turn on with reverse or not via the switch. This would save you trying to find an additional power source.

• Like 1

Hello,

Good idea, but I took your step little different. I have the puddle light and I tapped into that.

2014-11-26 16.22.17.jpg

This way, when vehicle is in "run" position, puddle lights and the cargo lights will be completely off (as would the cargo light switch would too)

I also have a overhead canopy light, so it HAS to be off when backing up.

I have attached the diagram, REMEMBER, the orientation of the diagram is with the plug out, and the plug end facing you with clip fastener facing up!

2014-11-26 09.01.06.png

**** TIP****

I have had trouble keeping the leads of the diode in the wire socket, I end up sanding it sharp so I can get it in deeper next to the exposed area of the wire. IT ALSO HELPS if you wiggle the wire to the opposite direction it is leaning on to and insert the leads in that side. Wiggle the wire to the other side allows it to push back and keep the leads of the diode in the pressured position to maintain a solid connection.

Hello I'm trying to connect my puddle lights to my cargo lights with a diode. I cannot see your picture well so could you tell me what is the slot of the puddle lights?

Edited by jlchavezz1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello I'm trying to connect my puddle lights to my cargo lights with a diode. I cannot see your picture well so could you tell me what is the slot of the puddle lights?

You have got to use the pinout diagram, it is hard to get a right picture with the spaghetti wiring there lol

• 3 weeks later...

I just wired the two together by splicing them with a piece of 18 gauge wire. I have LED's in the cargo and reverse and aux LED rigid knockoff backup lights mounted to my hitch. They all come on in reverse and I can hit the cargo switch when at the boat ramp at night or when tying down at night. The aux lights are powered by a waterproof relay triggered by the cargo light wire in the rear. This lets me avoid adding an aftermarket switch to run my lights and also prevents the battery from running down since the cargo switch will shutoff after 15-20 minutes.

Edited by RobZ71LM7

I just did this today, the reverse lights coming on with the cargo lamp switch. It was pretty easy but the cargo lamp socket was kind of a bugger. I have some diodes left, if anyone wants some just pm me and will send them out.

I just did this today, the reverse lights coming on with the cargo lamp switch. It was pretty easy but the cargo lamp socket was kind of a bugger. I have some diodes left, if anyone wants some just pm me and will send them out.

Use one to do your fogs with high beams

Is there a reason not to run a straight wire for this mod?