Cargo Lights on with Reverse Lights

For those of you that used a wire for this mod - what gauge solid wire did you use?

I'm assuming you used solid wire to be able to push it in?

Or did you just solder tin up some stranded wire?

I used 2 strands of solid cat5 wire twisted

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

only way will be to use an aftermarket switch. Buddy of mine, whom is also a member on the forum, did it on his 1500.

you'll need to use a momentary (or latching switch, whichever you prefer) and attach it to a power feed, use a diode to prevent back-feeding from the switch to power, then run the switch and again, diode to the cargo light circuit at the BCM, preventing any back-feeding from the BCM to switch. This should ensure that nothing can be back-fed and fried.

Mike 1220, do you think this technic would work on cargo lights as well?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mike 1220, do you think this technic would work on cargo lights as well?

yep, it will. I haven't tried it myself but see now reason why it wouldn't work. My buddy ultimately attached his to the reverse lights not the cargos, but the same principle should apply. For cargos just wire it the way I described earlier and it should work as you want.

Quick Question, needing to do this mod and I'm thinking of just using a wire to have them go on in reverse and when i hit cargo lights.

The thing is i have factory installed Max Trailer mirrors with the LED lights. will these go on in reverse and when i hit my unlock button?

Quick Question, needing to do this mod and I'm thinking of just using a wire to have them go on in reverse and when i hit cargo lights.

The thing is i have factory installed Max Trailer mirrors with the LED lights. will these go on in reverse and when i hit my unlock button?

If you use a wire, yes they will turn on at night when you click the unlock button. I wouldn't do it with a wire tho, because when you are parked and you click the cargo light button, the rest will power on because in a wire current can flow both ways. That's why everyone is using diodes, power only flows one way.

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

If you use a wire, yes they will turn on at night when you click the unlock button. I wouldn't do it with a wire tho, because when you are parked and you click the cargo light button, the rest will power on because in a wire current can flow both ways. That's why everyone is using diodes, power only flows one way.

2014 Silverado 2WT CC Summit White 4.3L V6

DROPKICK Edition

IG: jorge_dropkick_rangel

I figured that would be the case, was hoping they were on a different pin in the harness. I'm not trying to illuminate the entire parking lot overtime i unlock the truck with those things.

i just ordered the diodes off eBay. hopefully will have them by the weekend

yep, it will. I haven't tried it myself but see now reason why it wouldn't work. My buddy ultimately attached his to the reverse lights not the cargos, but the same principle should apply. For cargos just wire it the way I described earlier and it should work as you want.

I really hate to ask this but is there anyway you could sketch this setup down so it can be understood a little better. My electronics class in college was 30 some years ago and it's all just a little fuzzy to me if you know what I mean.

Kinda of not sure of how to wire the switch.

• Like 1

I really hate to ask this but is there anyway you could sketch this setup down so it can be understood a little better. My electronics class in college was 30 some years ago and it's all just a little fuzzy to me if you know what I mean.

Kinda of not sure of how to wire the switch.

Sure can. Send me a PM if you don't mind so I can remember to do it later after my test today

- Mike

IG: @BlackPearl_Edition

• 2 weeks later...

I may have missed it but did anyone figure out how to get the cargo light to come on in drive and reverse on the early 2015s when you push the button. I saw that you can get them to come on with the reverse lights and that seems easy enough but i don't want that much light every time I back up.

• Like 1

I'm with Derbaby, someone help us figure out how to get the towing mirror lights and the cargo lights to come on while in Drive without shifting to Neutral.

Thank you again to those who've figured out how to get the fog lights to stay on with high beams and the cargo lights with reverse lights, now, just this last missing piece of the puzzle.

• Like 2

So on a 15, can I do this mod and the reverse lights come on with the cargo light button? My truck will already let me use the cargo lights while in reverse but It would be nice to have the reverse lights come on when parked and loading up the back of the truck.

Also, do you guys know if I can change the cargo lights over to led? I changed the reverse lighting to led and like the color and brightness a lot better.

Edited by RhinoGuy

Yes, RhinoGuy. I that's what the 11 pages of conversation were about.

And yes, again, the same bulbs for the reverse lights are in the cargo lights, so change away, as I've done with both.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

If you were to put another diode in the opposite direction, then would it allow the reverse light to come on with the cargo lamps when you turn it on via the cab switch since the 2nd resistor would allow the electricity to flow the opposite way of the original?

I am curious becuase I am getting ready to add a VLEDs license plate frame light to add 3500 lumens when in reverse

If the second diode idea works, then I can hook up the light to either the cargo or the reverse, if it wouldn't work, then I would rather hook the light to the cargo lamps so I can use the light at night when I use the cargo lamps.

Mike 1220 I was interested to know if running a second diode the other way worked for turning the reverse lamps on via the cargo lamp switch inside the cab. I currently have the diode running the way El Conquistador showed above. This worked for having the cargo lamps activate when the truck was put into reverse. I have LED pods under the back bumper and wanted to be able to turn them on with the switch inside the cab, not just by putting the truck into reverse.

Thanks in advance

- John