Where are you putting your accessory switches?

rmart

I have a 2014 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 with the buckets and console option.

As I look at my dash I don't see a whole lot of choices for installation of accessory switches.

I figure I need about four switches (under bumper backup lights, additional front lighting, possible sprintbooster, and one more for later)

The under bumper backup lights (rigid) are a round 3-way switch (on all the time/off/on when in reverse)

I expect additional rigid lights would use a similar style and size switch.

The sprintbooster switch I might have to use what it comes with. The pics show a hardwired almost remote looking switch. It should have 3 settings (stock/medium/high). I don't know if it can be replaced with a 3-way switch like the rigid backup lights use.

Can you share pics of your switch locations and installations?

Thanks much.

R

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking about the same thing.

My thought is maybe fabbing something up where the factory trailer brake should go. I kinda wish they did a flat spot there instead of that useless pocket for those of us who didn't get that.

Other option, if you have the full console, maybe take out one of the cig lighters or the usb connectors in your console and put them in that area?

My third option (and I really dont think I wanna do this) is to put them beside the radio in the black part of the bezel, OR down where the heated seat buttons go (if you don't have heated seats like I do)

Final location for me would be bottom of the dash around where your left knee rests. May wind up bumping them on bumpy roads though.

Good idea. Hadn't considered the roof console. I don't have homelink or moonroof, so there should be PLENTY of room.

Used to be to remove em you had to slide it toward the windshield and pull down. Don't quote me on that, but I know on older ones you removed a screw from the front center and then the entire unit slid forward to disengage from the bracket in the ceiling.

Routing may be a bit of a pain if you have a bunch of switches to run though.

Right now I'm looking at a couple of blank spots in the roof console. I need to figure out how to take it off to see if there's room back there.

That's the spot, or use the sunglasses holder (modified of course)

Personally I'm thinking the face of the flip down storage tray right below the T/C and bed light switches in the center console. For me it's pretty useless for anything else as it's still about the size of an astray. Access for running wires and fitting the switches is a breeze, the location is easily accessible and if I screw it up or decide to go back to stock later it's a comparatively cheap piece to replace.

*Comparative being the operative word here. When I called the dealer I was quoted 70.00 for a replacement tray. I called because I was originally going to try and hide my brake controller inside of the tray, but it's not deep enough by a hair.

• 8 months later...

maybe on or in that pop out drawer, coin holder, thing under neath the radio below the cig lighter.

Could you expand on this? Maybe a pic of it open? Thx.

Archived