GMC lowered towing rating on my 2014 Sierra?

Update.

I wasn't getting much cooperation from GM, so I filed a complaint using the Better Business Bureau Autoline, and stated my issues and what I wanted and cited Florida Lemon Law statutes. It qualifies because of a condition that limits the intended purposes of my purchase which for whatever reason they can't fix. I'm over my GCWR by 200 lbs with my travel trailer since they changed the towing capacity (lowered GCWR by 800 lbs in September) via a recal letter.

I mentioned that my truck did overheat during a trip this summer, which I documented from my dealer visit when it happened. I had a weight slip from a Cat scale (loaded for a trip), along with pictures of my rig loaded, model information, picture of VIN and weight rating of TT, registration, insurance info, etc.

I settled for 105% of sticker price with GM paying for all my aftermarket purchases (window tint, tonneau, etc) while I chip in for the use of the vehicle by Florida Lemon Law standards (sale price from purchase contract X miles driven all divided by 120,000).

I submitted every receipt and document online and it was resolved quickly. Tomorrow I go pick up my new 2015 Sierra 2500 Diesel and move on with my life.

I bought the max tow 5.3l, 3.73 gear knowing full well what I wanted it for and the safety margins. Had I known they were going to do this to me, I would've sprung for the 2500 from the get go. I've been kicking myself, but now I'm not going to worry about anything.

I highly recommend familiarizing yourself with your state lemon laws, and get the BBB involved if your having difficulty. They seem to get your case to the right people quickly. I talked to my arbitrator today and couldn't thank her enough.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab, Standard Box, 5.3L V8 2WD with a 3.08 axle states in the owners manual that I can tow 8,400 pounds. I have the trailer package included standard, not the max trailering but I had an electronic brake controller installed. Is this different? I didn't receive any letter.

My 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab, Standard Box, 5.3L V8 2WD with a 3.08 axle states in the owners manual that I can tow 8,400 pounds. I have the trailer package included standard, not the max trailering but I had an electronic brake controller installed. Is this different? I didn't receive any letter.

Your manual must be the outdated one without the towing updates. My manual says your truck can only tow 6,700. Trailering package is in a sense just the hitch and trailer wiring, could be more but none of it allows more towing weight, just that it's equipped to tow. Also adding a trailer brake doesn't allow the truck to tow more, just to give a trailer with brakes the braking power for better stability and stopping.

Here's a link to the manual, I downloaded to my computer and phone in case I need to look something up and so I dont' have to go out tot he truck just to look up something:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2014-silverado-1500-owners-manual.pdf

I feel that the towing capacity in my printed owners manual trumps any change that was made to their online manuals and if I drive within those parameters and it faults, GM will have to cover any damages in accordance with my warranty. In the eyes of the legal system this is how it would work, sending a letter to me notifying me of a change would need to offer the option to return the truck or compensate me for potential damages. I have yet to receive this letter, I purchased the truck new at the dealership less then 4 months ago. Nothing is in my paperwork stating a change to this. If I want to tow a trailer that is under my manuals specified max of 8,400 pounds, I am within all guidelines. So in the sake of not trying to argue with you, I see the updated owner manual online, I just don't accept that change as it grossly affects my usage of the $50,000 truck I purchased. I'd hope no one else on here is willing to accept that either.

Your manual must be the outdated one without the towing updates. My manual says your truck can only tow 6,700. Trailering package is in a sense just the hitch and trailer wiring, could be more but none of it allows more towing weight, just that it's equipped to tow. Also adding a trailer brake doesn't allow the truck to tow more, just to give a trailer with brakes the braking power for better stability and stopping.

Here's a link to the manual, I downloaded to my computer and phone in case I need to look something up and so I dont' have to go out tot he truck just to look up something:

http://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Ownership/Manuals%20and%20Videos/02_pdf/2014-silverado-1500-owners-manual.pdf

In fact, my manual is still available and linked on the GMC website:

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals/01_Images/2014-GMC-Sierra-1500-Owner-Manual.pdf

It clearly states my towing capacity is 8,700 pounds. Correction for the 8,400 my manual says 8,700. So what is going on?

So in the sake of not trying to argue with you, I see the updated owner manual online, I just don't accept that change as it grossly affects my usage of the $50,000 truck I purchased. I'd hope no one else on here is willing to accept that either.

I don't think anybody has said that they are willing to accept it. Most people are asking for some sort of compensation mostly in the form of a buyback or trade in assistance. If you have the 5.3L 3:08 gears your tow rating changed, nobody needs to convince you of that, you can find out first hand by calling GM and asking.

There are two versions of the manual, the latest one has been corrected with the appropriate tow ratings.

Edit: well now I guess there are 3 versions (printings).

In fact, my manual is still available and linked on the GMC website:

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals/01_Images/2014-GMC-Sierra-1500-Owner-Manual.pdf

It clearly states my towing capacity is 8,700 pounds. Correction for the 8,400 my manual says 8,700. So what is going on?

The one you're looking at is still outdated. Go to the 1st page that says introduction (page iii). On the bottom left it says 1st printing, that's the old one. This is the link to the updated one for GMC and this one says 3rd printing which says 6,700.

http://www.gmc.com/content/dam/GMC/global/master/nscwebsite/en/home/Owners/Manuals/01_Images/2014-sierra-1500-owners-manual.pdf

• 2 weeks later...

What a bunch of jerks. Ill-informed jerks at that! It doesn't matter because he can't tow more than 6500 without going over his GVWR anyway? Somebody needs to buy these guys a calculator.

That is why I canceled my account and un-joined the site. I did take a pics of the stickers they were wanting (from both trucks), but after they were so rude I never posted them. But here they are is for anyone on here. Nothing on them were different.

post-42817-0-97188700-1414426542_thumb.jpg

post-42817-0-54935300-1414426631_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

I also have the 3:08 gear ratio and have been dealing with the dealer and GM for 3 months now. At first it seemed like it was going to be a easy trade to the 3:42s but they told me they could not just change the gears as there is much more involved with these newer tech trucks. My first offer from GM was going to cost me $17,000can for a mistake, that I didn't make. I told the salesman when I was buying the truck I needed a towing cap around the 7500-8000lb make for my camper trailer.

I'm not sure the dealership really knows how to fix this either, I think they should talk to an expert of some sort, it's pretty much beyond what a sales rep on average knows about the vehicle I think (not saying all, but I know some people don't need a huge amount o vehicle knowledge like this to get into car sales)

I think they are throwing you some BS trying to get you to buy a truck with a bigger profit margin to recoup some of the money they are going to lose over this towing recall

Archived