Power Steering Fluid

I was getting my oil changed toady and had them change the power steering fluid as well. Truck has a 100K on it and I thought it was time. They replaced the power steering fluid with ATF. Doing a little reserach here I find that was a poor choice. I'd like to go back andf have them do it over and di it right, but I need more than a website as a good source saying don't use ATF.

Any ideas or can anyone point me to a source?

What's the difference between ATF and PSF anyway?

2007 Silverado Classic (GMT800)

OK - But lots of manufacturers says to use ATF for the power steering. I imagine they would have the same problem with their hoses.

ATF is OK to use in a pinch. I'm sure there will be many people tell you here that they have been using

ATF in their PS systems for millions of miles without any problem. Do what you want.

While its not a huge deal that's going to make your truck burst into a ball of flames it would be a good idea to go back and ask them to put the correct fluid in your power steering system.

GM recommends power steering fluid, just show them your owners manual where it says GM POWER STEERING FLUID under fluid recommendations

Maybe the reason they put in ATF was because they probably have more of it around than power steering fluid. I never understood the thought behind putting ATF in a power steering system since it's not the same type of system. Take it back and raise hell. Or drain it yourself so you know what's put in it.

"HHHhhhhMMMMmmmm I don't know do you?"

Well, obviously I don't or I wouldn't have asked. That's how asking questions works.

Well I thought that you might step back ask yourself that question. Why Gm would use two different fluid if they could only use one and save a lot of money in the process. Each one is designed to do a specific job. And I guess Gm feels (or should I say knows) that the transmission fluid can't do the job that they want it to do in their power steering systems. Also how much money do you think GM spent engineering and testing these systems? Sometimes they work on these designs for years before they go into production. And leave me add this. If Gm didn't want to save money then their accounting system wouldn't be based on a thousand of a cent.

So in closing my logic would be if GM doesn't want to use it then it would be a good idea if I didn't use.

<i>So in closing my logic would be if GM doesn't want to use it then it would be a good idea if I didn't use.<.i>

I don't disagree with anything you said. And I will change it out. That was never in doubt.

However, what is the difference between ATF and PSF. Viscosity? Flash point? Additives? Are they incompatible, or can they be mixed?

Is it the same as $80 dollar vodka vs $30 vodka, a $50 bottle?

There are others on other forums running ATF with no issues. I for one put in what the manufacture recommends. PS fluid is what is called for in your application. That is what needs to be in the system if you ask me.

Now GM is moving to dexron VI for PS system in the Acaida. They are having issues with the Acadia systems going bad with bad pumps. So the new fix is to replace the pump and all seals and install fresh dexron VI fluid. That TSB states to make sure the system is flushed of PS fluid and if the new seals are not put in then the ATF will cause leaks. Now this is on the Acadia, how much different it is from the truck line, not sure but like I said, if it calls for PS fluid that is what I would put in.

If you want to go with a good synthetic fluid. AMSOIL's power steering fluid is a good choice.

Archived