Trailer Wiring Connector (7-pin)

I have a 2014 Silverado with all the trailering bells and whistles, and I am very happy with it pulling my 24ft travel trailer. With one minor headache.

In 2014 GM decided to install their trailer wiring connector upside down on the Silverado/Sierra.

The 7-pin connectors are designed so that after you plug in your trailer the flap comes back down on top of the plug and there is a small latch on the flap that hooks over a corresponding bump in the plug to prevent it from coming out.

With the new dual 4-pin/7-pin connectors, GM has them upside down so that the flap opens downwards which completely defeats the locking mechanism. On my set up, the weight of the wiring harness is enough to make it droop downwards just enough that it starts to become disconnected inside. I am constantly having to stop and push the harness back in tighter to reconnect everything.

Thankfully I have the integrated break control (love it) which instantly reports anytime there is a problem in any of the connections.

It seems like such a dumb thing, and an easy fix. My dealer has had nothing to offer, but I just can’t imagine I am the only one this is happening to.

I haven’t seen a 2015 so I don’t know if they’ve rectified this or not. I wrote a letter to GM after buying the truck but never got a response. I feel this is a safety issue because my trailer brakes & lighting system are constantly becoming disconnected.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can’t find any other discussions about it.

I've always wondered why it's upside down as well. It looks like you could just disconnect the harness on the back, push the piece out, flip it over, and reconnect the harness. The damn spare tire is in my way of my big hands or else I would give it a shot. In theory, it sounds easy lol

• Like 1

That picture is the same as mine. Yes, the lettering etc is right side up, so its installed as intended. However, it is still upside down to how the latching/locking is supposed to work effectively.

PS: Yes turning it over and re-installing came up with the dealer, but they tried and said it couldn't be done because the mounting holes wouldn't line up or something.

I tow a lot of different trailers and I find the older plugs (on the trailer side) are to blame. These are designed to be held back by the "flap" that is spring loaded, but friction between the plastic helps greatly. If I get one that's a pain I just swap the plug for 8 bucks and 10 minutes.

Use dielectric grease on the connections inside the new plug when you assemble its and the face of the plug that goes into the truck...

2015 Denali 3500 DRW, Michelin ltx, 4x4

EDIT:

You cannot flip the plug. Just tried it...

Edited by DenaliDually
  • Like 2

• 4 years later...

So I have read the Stream on this conversation about the Plug and I am as well getting frustrated with my new 2018 GMC Sierra. Yes it is also a brand New Trailer and plug. So no it’s not the plug it is because it’s upside down.  The tab to keep the plug in is ineffective when the weight of the cord pulls the door down, the tab moves away from the indent/raised part on the plug, and plug continues to shake out causing your trailer brakes to be disconnected, there fore you can not rely  on the trailer brakes to stop in a emergency. What idiot engineers decided to change it is beyond me 

• 4 months later...

2014 Silverado 1500 Z71 LTZ.  Purchased it used.  Tow a 24ft travel trailer.  No issues first six trips.  Last trip, the brake controller kept displaying codes that indicated a short in the ground wire and no brakes.  Made it home safely during the recent emergency but now the task of understanding the issue begins.  Remounted the controller to a better position and installed a new wiring harness to the controller.  I always thought that the plug on the 'Rado was upside down but I just flipped the trailer cord connector and it worked... for a while.  I was anticipating tearing into the trailer brakes but because of this thread I'll exhaust all issues that may be the issue coming from the tow vehicle.  Thanks to all who have contributed.  My understanding of Chevy engineering is increasing with every mile I drive>