upgrading from 18 inch stock to 20 inch aftermarket wheels

Hey guys just signed up for the site and glad to be here looks like a lot of knowledge flows around.

I want to upgrade from the 18 to 20 inch wheels and go for 275/55-20 tires. I know that this comes stock on the ltz trim i have the the LT so i dont think there will be any rubbing. I just want to lknow what offset i should be shooting for and if there will be any problems i may end up running into.

thanks in advance fellas

Jam

Hey guys just signed up for the site and glad to be here looks like a lot of knowledge flows around.

I want to upgrade from the 18 to 20 inch wheels and go for 275/55-20 tires. I know that this comes stock on the ltz trim i have the the LT so i dont think there will be any rubbing. I just want to lknow what offset i should be shooting for and if there will be any problems i may end up running into.

thanks in advance fellas

Jam

18s have significantly better ride quality due to having such a large side wall.

i also agree but the 275/55-20 will lose only about 3/4 of an inch compared to what im running stock. So i may be wrong but i think i will hardly to be able to tell(wishful thinking). and im not to concerned about a little bit rougher of a ride

The overall diameters of 265/65/18 and 275/55/20 are basically, or nominally, the same. Reduction in the sidewall height is one inch.

I believe the offset for the OEM wheels is 24 mm.

i also agree but the 275/55-20 will lose only about 3/4 of an inch compared to what im running stock. So i may be wrong but i think i will hardly to be able to tell(wishful thinking). and im not to concerned about a little bit rougher of a ride

The difference is significant and noticeable. It's why I had my 20's taken off and replaced with the 18's. It's also more likely to take on wheel damage. Larger wheels do not serve a practical purpose on a truck, they only have aesthetic appeal, and less its offroad and abilities to take on obstacles. You want more rubber, not less between the road and your hub.

My 18s were the Goodyear Wrangler SR-A and the 20s are the Continental CrossContact LX20. Both sets aired to 35 psi and both smooth and quiet. I believe the recommend pressure for the 20s is 30psi. I've thought about bumping the 20s down to 30psi and see if I notice a difference in ride and/or fuel mileage.

Those who changed from 18's to 20's or vise versa and noticed ride quality change. Did you use the same brand and type of tire? If not, what are you basing your assessment of ride quality on?

Went from stock 20's to the same tire on the 18's. Measured difference with the accelerometer on my phone. It's significant, especially on smaller bumps.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I went from stock 18's and P rated tires to LT295/55/20 on aftermarket 20's. BIG difference. The least little bump is felt and very annoying. I wish I would of went with 18's.

Archived