HID Headlight Shootout - All three options tested

28 minutes ago, Terp84Alum said:

2015 Sierra 1500. What is my best option? I'm tired of risking lives at night.

If you have slt/denali projectors, because that’s what I have and I dunno what the other type of headlight has or if it‘s any different

hylux 35w ballast, morimoto 35w bulbs, plug in and done

if you want the fancy pants beam pattern, which is actually functionally better as well, and don’t mind a little diy work, d2s mini 5.0 projectors. (I have 4.0, i think they came out with 5.0 now)

buy from retrofit source

Led’s and regular bulb upgrades pail in comparison to 35w hid.

i think if you tried 100 different setups and were the worlds leading expert on headlight upgrades, you’d chose this setup in the end for cost/performance/reliability

On 7/19/2021 at 6:02 PM, Terp84Alum said:

2015 Sierra 1500. What is my best option? I'm tired of risking lives at night.

Risking lives? Are your headlights out? Are you driving too fast for road conditions? The stock lights are so much better than any sealed beam or most halogen setups (I have been in plenty of the pre HID/LED Sierra K2's, no complaints). Not sure why people think these are not safe, that is just flat out true. People need to have realistic expectations or stop comparing the lights to aftermarket light bars or some other light source that completely decimates a stock headlight setup...

Tyler

53 minutes ago, Amcguy1970 said:

Risking lives? Are your headlights out? Are you driving too fast for road conditions? The stock lights are so much better than any sealed beam or most halogen setups (I have been in plenty of the pre HID/LED Sierra K2's, no complaints). Not sure why people think these are not safe, that is just flat out true. People need to have realistic expectations or stop comparing the lights to aftermarket light bars or some other light source that completely decimates a stock headlight setup...

Tyler

Lol. These headlights are worse (and more dangerous) than my old 2000 Jeep TJ. 

On 7/19/2021 at 8:01 PM, Terp84Alum said:

No that has the morimoto ballast and all that other BS. Hylux 35w ballast and bulbs is all you need.

just call them, its easier. The people that answer the phone know what they are doing.

Edited by truckguy82

• 2 months later...
On 2/13/2015 at 2:00 AM, hutch08 said:

I like those a lot. Looking to do something similar with my AT clone

On 4/15/2016 at 6:55 PM, rilcoat said:

I have always bought my HID kits from china for $50, and the worst thing was the connectors, so I just cut them off and solder them.

I recently when to Retrofit Source for my HIDs since they are supposed to be "high quality".

Since the install 2 weeks ago, I had a ballast go, and just today a bulb burnt out. the bulb had the worst smell of sulfur I have ever smelt. This is all in 2 weeks

My opinion. Go to Chine and spend $40-50 on HIDs or LEDs. You get the same or better quality than morimoto from retrofit source.

I’ve always bought from eBay as well. I wondered if there was much difference between Morimito and eBay. Didn’t really look like much of a difference to me either. 

32 minutes ago, ColdIronAxe said:

I’ve always bought from eBay as well. I wondered if there was much difference between Morimito and eBay. Didn’t really look like much of a difference to me either. 

There is a difference. Build quality and light output as well as ease of connections.
I went from HIDs to the Morimoto XBs and I like the look and light quality. also, you have a warranty with a stable company to fall back on if things go sideways.
IMG_0439.thumb.jpg.f388e333c490e54d26698940b82ddcae.jpg

Edited by MikeBMW

22 hours ago, ColdIronAxe said:

I like those a lot. Looking to do something similar with my AT clone

There is no way that beam pattern is from a 2014/2015 slt/denali

our projectors have sort of a rough lens, reminds me of like privacy glass. They build it to intentionally not have a sharp beam pattern. Why, I have no idea. When I took my slt projector out, it was of much better build quality then the d2s mini 4.0 I replace it with. I don’t know why the hell they put that expensive heavy duty projector in with some crappy beam pattern. D2s mini feels cheaps but the beam pattern is razor sharp and really wide and uniform

Edited by truckguy82

• 2 weeks later...

I have a stock 2015 Silverado 3500 is there a great quality plug and play upgrade for my OEM driving lights and Fog's?  I loved the Newer trucks lights as I traded my 2018 1500 in for this 2015 but the difference in the lights are not even in the same ballpark. I have not upgraded in two yours since the Truck upgrade because I find it all complicated and not sure who to trust with quality and Just simple long lasting proformance as an OEM is.  As I said Plug and play as I am disabled.  Thanks Everyone!

DS

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/7/2021 at 2:14 PM, dodge stomper said:

I have a stock 2015 Silverado 3500 is there a great quality plug and play upgrade for my OEM driving lights and Fog's?  I loved the Newer trucks lights as I traded my 2018 1500 in for this 2015 but the difference in the lights are not even in the same ballpark. I have not upgraded in two yours since the Truck upgrade because I find it all complicated and not sure who to trust with quality and Just simple long lasting proformance as an OEM is.  As I said Plug and play as I am disabled.  Thanks Everyone!

DS

There is nothing that is oem quality except buying a better bulb.