HID Headlight Shootout - All three options tested

Happen to have a picture showing just the headlights on? With the install of the LED bulbs & ballast, are you still able to use the round covers on the headlamp assemblies?

You have to modify the cover. I used a heatgun to make a "bubble" so the bulb fits inside. It wasn't allowing me to use the covers. I'll try and get some pictures. This is on my brothers truck. If you have a GMC if all fits inside the headlight assembly lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

You have to modify the cover. I used a heatgun to make a "bubble" so the bulb fits inside. It wasn't allowing me to use the covers. I'll try and get some pictures. This is on my brothers truck. If you have a GMC if all fits inside the headlight assembly lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my 2 year old HID kit seems to be diminishing in light output, bulb just went out too, bought the LED kit you suggested, hope to try it soon.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I had the dealership do their "headlight upgrade" to my truck. A little better than that complete suck ass headlights on this truck, but not much. Now, one of them went out already. I'm so sick of these. I clicked on the link you posted BootyHunter86, but it doesn't appear to be the right bulb? I have to do something about these awful damn headlights! Help!!

So, I had the dealership do their "headlight upgrade" to my truck. A little better than that complete suck ass headlights on this truck, but not much. Now, one of them went out already. I'm so sick of these. I clicked on the link you posted BootyHunter86, but it doesn't appear to be the right bulb? I have to do something about these awful damn headlights! Help!!

I'll look for the correct light bulb tomorrow. I'll post the link. [emoji106]
  • Like 1

I went with The Retorfit Source Morimoto kit for my Silverado. The whole kit is very high quality compared to my old lights I purchased from DDM on old vehicles. Nice Braided lines and waterproof connectors. Ill post up again after I install but very impressed so far.

Ill plug Fondupots write up videos. Thats what got me to go with this kit. Its for a Sierra but looks the same just order the Silverado kit instead of Sierra.

Review:

Install:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 15 Sierra 2500 SLE. Purchased a set of HID's from opt7. Worked great for a couple days. Now I'm having a problem when the truck is cold. I turn it on and only the passenger side wants to turn on. I turn the lights off with the knob and then back on again 5 or 6 times and then they will usually both work. I tried contacting OPT7 and they were at a loss. They sent me 2 new ballast still the same problem. I tried it with the canbus thing and without. Still the same problem. Currently I'm running the relay to the ballast to the bulb. This is their 35w slim line ballast system. I tried moving the ground wire to a different spot and that didn't work either. The problem happens both with DRL's and/or when the low beam comes on at night. Any help would be greatly appreciated

I have always bought my HID kits from china for $50, and the worst thing was the connectors, so I just cut them off and solder them.

I recently when to Retrofit Source for my HIDs since they are supposed to be "high quality".

Since the install 2 weeks ago, I had a ballast go, and just today a bulb burnt out. the bulb had the worst smell of sulfur I have ever smelt. This is all in 2 weeks

My opinion. Go to Chine and spend $40-50 on HIDs or LEDs. You get the same or better quality than morimoto from retrofit source.

• Like 1

I just picked up a 2015 Sierra and, like everyone has posted already, the headlights really do suck. I'm new to this whole thing and was looking into picking up the Morimoto 35W 4500K HID's. From what I've read so far it doesn't sound like a plug and play situation, which is fine, but do I need to pick up a separate projector for the headlight? Is it needed or will the HID's manage fine with the ones already in stock headlight?

Thanks

I just picked up a 2015 Sierra and, like everyone has posted already, the headlights really do suck. I'm new to this whole thing and was looking into picking up the Morimoto 35W 4500K HID's. From what I've read so far it doesn't sound like a plug and play situation, which is fine, but do I need to pick up a separate projector for the headlight? Is it needed or will the HID's manage fine with the ones already in stock headlight?

Thanks

You need an HID kit which is 2 ballasts, and 2 bulbs. You can use 9006 bulbs with a little mod to the bulb rather than search for 9012 bulbs. You will also need a relay harness and a capacitor (some people call it a canceller). The rest is the install.

I had a 2015 sierra 1500 and they worked real nice in the stock projectors.

DO NOT put HID's in your fog lights, you will melt the lens. I did and so have numerous other people.

Save your money and do not spend the money for Morimoto. They are all the same. I should know. I have had more problems with morimoto than the cheap Chinese, and the Chinese on ebay replace immediately if you have a problem.

• Like 2

You need an HID kit which is 2 ballasts, and 2 bulbs. You can use 9006 bulbs with a little mod to the bulb rather than search for 9012 bulbs. You will also need a relay harness and a capacitor (some people call it a canceller). The rest is the install.

I had a 2015 sierra 1500 and they worked real nice in the stock projectors.

DO NOT put HID's in your fog lights, you will melt the lens. I did and so have numerous other people.

Save your money and do not spend the money for Morimoto. They are all the same. I should know. I have had more problems with morimoto than the cheap Chinese, and the Chinese on ebay replace immediately if you have a problem.

Thanks for the quick response. I found another thread that ended up saying the same, so that's what I'll end up doing. From the sound of thing the projector retrofit seems to be more trouble than its worth in the Sierras.

Thanks for the quick response. I found another thread that ended up saying the same, so that's what I'll end up doing. From the sound of thing the projector retrofit seems to be more trouble than its worth in the Sierras.

I agree totally. HID's are just fine in the projectors that come in the truck. I personally think some people obsess a bit too much. Everything can be improved upon, but at what cost. Good luck with the install and enjoy the brighter lights.

Just a note. I really have not found any stand alone bulbs that are really brighter than the factory fogs. There are retrofits that are far superior, but the replacement leds are more for color match imo.

• Like 1

I agree totally. HID's are just fine in the projectors that come in the truck. I personally think some people obsess a bit too much. Everything can be improved upon, but at what cost. Good luck with the install and enjoy the brighter lights.

Just a note. I really have not found any stand alone bulbs that are really brighter than the factory fogs. There are retrofits that are far superior, but the replacement leds are more for color match imo.

Yea I'm gunna wait a little while on the fogs, but I wanted to make sure about the headlights first. But as far as the fogs are concerned I've seen 90% retrofits and figured that was the way to go.

I have always bought my HID kits from china for $50, and the worst thing was the connectors, so I just cut them off and solder them.

I recently when to Retrofit Source for my HIDs since they are supposed to be "high quality".

Since the install 2 weeks ago, I had a ballast go, and just today a bulb burnt out. the bulb had the worst smell of sulfur I have ever smelt. This is all in 2 weeks

My opinion. Go to Chine and spend $40-50 on HIDs or LEDs. You get the same or better quality than morimoto from retrofit source.

They carry like a 5 year warranty? Did you not just get them changed out?

I had the opposite experience, kit was easy to install all braided and snug connectors. No issues from the moment I fired them up.

Their customer service is second to none as well.