HID Headlight Shootout - All three options tested

Bright Source came to troubleshoot the HID problem with my truck and determined it is in fact that the truck has a hidden electrical problem. Time to fight SHAW GMC again on the 14th issue with this new truck, lets see .... replaced transmission as it decided to shift into 1st at a 100 kph, replaced radiator due to numerous pin holes, integrated trailer brake assembly indicates that its not functioning (sometimes even when I have no trailer attached it warns me) and gm tells me its my trailer, which functions fine on other trucks. Infotainment system doesn't read devices though USB or SD and navigation system occasionally has major highways disappear that were there before. SHAW keeps saying " no codes no problem". Skid plates left hanging on by a couple of threads after oil change. When they worked on the HIDs and they gave up I drove home and then opened hood and air box was not attached to manifold.........The list is long my friends....DON'T USE SHAW'S SERVICE OR BUY TRUCKS FROM THEM, ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY YOU DO NOT EXIST!

Edited by Mountain Devil

Bright Source came to troubleshoot the HID problem with my truck and determined it is in fact that the truck has a hidden electrical problem. Time to fight SHAW GMC again on the 14th issue with this new truck, lets see .... replaced transmission as it decided to shift into 1st at a 100 kph, replaced radiator due to numerous pin holes, integrated trailer brake assembly indicates that its not functioning (sometimes even when I have no trailer attached it warns me) and gm tells me its my trailer, which functions fine on other trucks. Infotainment system doesn't read devices though USB or SD and navigation system occasionally has major highways disappear that were there before. SHAW keeps saying " no codes no problem". Skid plates left hanging on by a couple of threads after oil change. When they worked on the HIDs and they gave up I drove home and then opened hood and air box was not attached to manifold.........The list is long my friends....DON'T USE SHAW'S SERVICE OR BUY TRUCKS FROM THEM, ONCE THEY HAVE YOUR MONEY YOU DO NOT EXIST!

Is shaw GMC your dealership? you dont have to get the same dealership you bought the truck from for warranty. Other dealership will try harder so you can change your preferred dealer to them.

• 4 weeks later...

I did my FXR upgrade a couple days ago, after having halogens, 55W HIDs, 45W LMZ LEDs, all in the stock projector, and then now finally doing my FXR upgrade, I can confidently say that the FXR upgrades are far beyond being worth the cash and work to put them in (for the Sierra guys, the Silverado guys have it much easier to install). I love my FXRs. Already have a few friends with non projector housings wanting me to take a stab at retrofitting lights into their vehicles haha

Just snapped a couple of more pictures. Hopefully better. cea972798c7a8b0a8215cebb835c47e3.jpg2d4f96c6d4617ac6c54de2abf6921c27.jpg7f203f1c106e5582d76860f5e98451a9.jpge5a7a72abfac9ff491745eb41d5d6c51.jpg

I did my FXR upgrade a couple days ago, after having halogens, 55W HIDs, 45W LMZ LEDs, all in the stock projector, and then now finally doing my FXR upgrade, I can confidently say that the FXR upgrades are far beyond being worth the cash and work to put them in (for the Sierra guys, the Silverado guys have it much easier to install). I love my FXRs. Already have a few friends with non projector housings wanting me to take a stab at retrofitting lights into their vehicles haha

What's FXR? If you don't mind me asking.

Regular name = Cristian

Forum name = BootyHunter

Nice!!

FXR is a specific projector from 'The Retrofit Source' (link below) that alot of people are swapping out inplace of the OEM projector in conjuction with an HID system. Most using the Moimoto brand also found at TRS.

Where did you order your LED's from? I'm on the fence bewteen going HID or LED and I change my mind everyother day lol

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors/morimoto-fx-r-bi-xenon-projector-48316.html

Edited by BowHunter1
  • Like 2

Regular name = Cristian

Forum name = BootyHunter

Nice!!

FXR is a specific projector from 'The Retrofit Source' (link below) that alot of people are swapping out inplace of the OEM projector in conjuction with an HID system. Most using the Moimoto brand also found at TRS.

Where did you order your LED's from? I'm on the fence bewteen going HID or LED and I change my mind everyother day lol

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/components/projectors/morimoto-fx-r-bi-xenon-projector-48316.html

Lol. I bought the kit locally in downtown LA. I'll upload a picture of the kit tomorrow. Seems solid and took about 20 minutes to install. The fogs were a bit harder. Hardest part is removing the air box intake. :)

Oh and they gave me a 1 year warranty. Kit cost me 70 +30 for the fog HID kit. So 100 will get you way better than stock lighting.

Edited by BootyHunter86

Lol. I bought the kit locally in downtown LA. I'll upload a picture of the kit tomorrow. Seems solid and took about 20 minutes to install. The fogs were a bit harder. Hardest part is removing the air box intake. :)

Oh and they gave me a 1 year warranty. Kit cost me 70 +30 for the fog HID kit. So 100 will get you way better than stock lighting.

Cool deal! Definitely interested in your take on them especially for that price so keep us posted! Does this company in LA have a web address or just a walk in store??

Just snapped a couple of more pictures. Hopefully better. cea972798c7a8b0a8215cebb835c47e3.jpg2d4f96c6d4617ac6c54de2abf6921c27.jpg7f203f1c106e5582d76860f5e98451a9.jpge5a7a72abfac9ff491745eb41d5d6c51.jpg

What's FXR? If you don't mind me asking.

Like BowHunter said, it's an HID projector from TRS. They DD posted output pics of it vs HIDs in the OEM projector at the beginning of the thread

Cool deal! Definitely interested in your take on them especially for that price so keep us posted! Does this company in LA have a web address or just a walk in store??

It's a walk in store. I doubt they have a website. If you guys want a kit I'll happily go and purchase one and ship it out. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Worked with MorrisLee at my shop today. Changed out my ballasts to Morimoto 5five and Morris adjusted his LMZ fog lights

Really nice wide spread on those LMZ lights and a good cutoff coming from that factory housing

My lights responded well to the 50w upgrade it the stock projectors. I'm still working on the RX350 retrofit so this will do for now.

QNbM8gO.jpg

Om13Yb2.jpg

4yZFPMw.jpg

51UUhI0.jpg

maaaa5g.jpg

bY8t4e3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Was thinking of doing this to my Silverado LTZ, but was concerned with failing inspection (seeing how aftermarket HID kits are illegal for on-road use in every US state).

Hmmmm..... you'd need to hide those ballasts real well.