2015 2500HD transmission problems

I have 2015 Silverado HD. 8300 miles. while driving home my Check engine light came on. Bit surprised I called the dealer and scheduled an appointment. They could not get me in right away,about 10days.

About 7 days later while driving home, my RPMs were all over the place then hit 5500.

Mt transmission dropped. No gears or reverse. Temp was 125F. Rolled to a stop, and called roadside assistance.

Dealer said, Clutch Material got into the torque converter and took out the transmission. Now I'm subject to a repaired transmission on 6 month old truck that cost me $50,000. Not Happy.

Truck should be ready on Tuesday January 5. I may trade it in....

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend I took my 2015 2500HD on a vacation. Maybe 10 hours into the trip overdrive quit working and the engine light came on. Already depressing gas mileage got even worse as rpm was higher than normal. The last 1/4 mile of the trip it never shifted out of 1st gear! Called the closest dealer (45 minutes away) on Monday morning. Took it in Tuesday morning. engine light had gone out and trans seemed normal. Wasted most of a day waiting for them to verify that there was a problem and get me a rental. I wasted yesterday because they said it would be ready and it wasn't. I just picked it up this afternoon(another day half shot). We leave tomorrow to go home. :( Here is what they found.

Black clutches in the pan. Lucky I made it.

Converter and pump cover shot.

They replaced clutches, plates, gaskets, seals and pump cover with new parts.

replaced converter with a reman. Not to happy about that. This truck has 2300 miles on it and now has a rebuilt trans and a reman converter. I work for GM so you can bet they will hear about it.

Hope I make it home. I'll probably worry the whole way.

What kind of mileage does the truck get when running right?

Question for you fellow 6.0 HD owners. Have any of you ever noticed, say you are making a turn at 15-24mph, when you roll back on the throttle you feel some fish bite in the trans? Almost like the converter is still locked up?

Any of those with failed trans ever notice this? Mine's done it since day one and I've figured out how to drive it where it almost doesn't do it but...I am quite curious.

I have no abnormal temps, in the cold it runs 100-125F, summer about 145-170F.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Folks- I have a coworker who had purchased a 2014 Silverado 1500 5.3L new. After 5000 miles, he began to experience random transmission issues, such as sudden downshifts from drive to 2nd or even 1st gear while on the highway, and also problems with the A/C randomly stopping blowing cold air and getting very hot. He took it to the dealer several times, never a code set. And they could never duplicate the problem, yet it continued to happen, the random downshifting out of nowhere on a flat stretch of road. It scared him and his wife a few times and with the dealer not able to duplicate the problem or find any codes stored and not finding anything with a basic inspection/diagnosis, they were unwilling to look into the issue any deeper. He traded it in on a 2015 Dodge 2500 Cummins. Got a great deal on one and the dealer gave him a good trade in value on his Chevy. Not sure if he did a full disclosure of the issue on the truck he traded in, but with it being under warranty not sure if he had to. But hearing about that issue and the issues I've seen posted on here, there is no way I will get me a newer GM truck unless it is a Duramax with the Allison. As it stands, I'll be going back to an LMM range Duramax like I had a few years ago. (2008-2011?) My 08 was awesome and never a problem with the engine or tranny. I just hope I can find a decent one out there with low miles. I have a very bad feeling about the quality of the transmissions and other components on these newer GM Trucks. I hope that time will prove me wrong though.

Question for you fellow 6.0 HD owners. Have any of you ever noticed, say you are making a turn at 15-24mph, when you roll back on the throttle you feel some fish bite in the trans? Almost like the converter is still locked up?

Any of those with failed trans ever notice this? Mine's done it since day one and I've figured out how to drive it where it almost doesn't do it but...I am quite curious.

Mine does this as well and when I took it in they tech gave me bulletin on drive line "clunk", but that was for the 1500 series. I feel that the converter is failing to uncouple during certain RPM and MPH ranges especially in the coast phases. I am moving soon to Utah and I will re-submit my concerns to a new dealer that handles more of the HD trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine does this as well and when I took it in they tech gave me bulletin on drive line "clunk", but that was for the 1500 series. I feel that the converter is failing to uncouple during certain RPM and MPH ranges especially in the coast phases. I am moving soon to Utah and I will re-submit my concerns to a new dealer that handles more of the HD trucks.

I also experience this same issue. Dealer said they couldn't duplicate it. There is a curve in our town that my truck does this on every time and i told the dealer to test drive it there but they probably didnt or they drove it like they stole it and didnt take the corner like a normal person.

I also experience this same issue. Dealer said they couldn't duplicate it. There is a curve in our town that my truck does this on every time and i told the dealer to test drive it there but they probably didnt or they drove it like they stole it and didnt take the corner like a normal person.

It is the torque converter staying locked, you can use tow haul mode or more throttle to eliminate it, it is not a problem however.

• 2 weeks later...

Mine has 34,000 miles and when I spoke with them about a driveline clunk, they told me GM was not going to fix any of my problems I have been asking about and told me I could find another dealer. Really? I know everytime I take it in it's "operating as designed" So there I saved you a trip in, it's operating as designed.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2015 3500/6.0. At 27k trans acted irregular and ck engine light on. Dealer kept truck for 2 weeks, rebuilt trans. Put a recond torque converter in. Truck came back with a nasty driveline vibration. They flipped the driveshaft 180 and problem is still there. Hopefully they will try a new driveshaft next. Otherwise perhaps they bent the flex plate during the r&r?

• 3 months later...

Just to ad info about my truck to this thread about my transmission problems recently

6.0 @ 36,200 miles shifted weird going down my street, then check engine light went on. Truck wouldn't shift. Stayed at 3000 rpms for about an hour while I got around town.

When it finally shifted / maybe locked up torque converter let go from being locked up....it wasn't right. Something got damaged like the converter.

Dealer put a new torque converter in it along with a module. I asked which module but service adviser didn't know. Didn't get to talk to the tech. Service adviser did mention inside the tranny looked clean. He said they had the pump out & I assume the pan was dropped & inspected

Anyhow, now I have a surging at about 1500-1800 rpm. Something still isn't right. I have a feeling the story I told above hurt something in the transmission. They didn't rebuild or replace the tranny. Still under powertrain warranty until 100k. Might have them test drive when I bring it in for an oil change.

Edited by NY-Vmax-Joe

• 3 years later...

I have 2 2017 6.0L 2500HD. Both burned torque converters at 45000 miles and ruined transmissions. Fixed under warranty 3 weeks later. This is not a good transmission for what this truck is rated for. Will be getting rid of both before 90,000 miles.