2015 2500HD transmission problems

Hey Everyone,

Just replaced my 2004 2500 HD (with about 300,000 miles) with a new 2015. Trany felt funny all along but assumed it was just "learning" like they said it would. I now have about 1,500 miles on it. In the past 2 days it has been slipping, running much hotter than normal, chattering right after a shift, totally slipped out of gear while driving, got stuck in 2nd gear a few times, wouldn't go into reverse, etc. Its now back at the dealer. Any one having similar issues with these yet? I do not beat on it and fluid level is good.

Hey Everyone,

Just replaced my 2004 2500 HD (with about 300,000 miles) with a new 2015. Trany felt funny all along but assumed it was just "learning" like they said it would. I now have about 1,500 miles on it. In the past 2 days it has been slipping, running much hotter than normal, chattering right after a shift, totally slipped out of gear while driving, got stuck in 2nd gear a few times, wouldn't go into reverse, etc. Its now back at the dealer. Any one having similar issues with these yet? I do not beat on it and fluid level is good.

Sorry but it doesn't matter if anyone else is having the same thing happen ,

Just reply with what they find /do

Hey Everyone,

How hot was it getting?

For the first two weeks I never saw it higher than 160. While taking it to dealer to have them look at it, I made it to 234. Thats when it totally slipped out of gear. I pulled over ant let it cool down then contnued to dealer. Those are trans fluid temps.

Wow. I wonder what's wrong with it. Hopefully it will be back up and in your hands soon. Keep us posted with what they find!

8k on mine so far, and no transmission issues. Might just be one peanut in the turd. :driving:

Edited by 15HDriver

The Latest....Mechanic dug a little deeper and found metal shavings in tranny. Now looking at rebuild or replace. I'm leaning toward this not being a problem everyone will have. Probably something done wrong in the factory or maybe some idiot took it for one hell of a test drive before I got it. Dealer is cool. It just sucks going from the 2500 with a service body and pipe racks to a mini van. Very limited on what work I could do this week. should have it back in another day or to and will update again.

For "therink", Its a gas job. Got it back last night. Feels like a totally different truck. From what they told me, Tork converter "shit the bed." Found metal shavings, dust and other stuff everywhere. It has been rebuilt completely, the only thing original is the housing. I have a mile long list of parts that were replaced. They guaranteed me I will never be back there with a transmission problem. I hope It all works out. They were going to replace the transmission but had trouble getting one there fast so they rebuilt it. Clearly not something everyone needs to worry about, just one bad one in the bunch. Thank you all for your posts and info. I will update as time goes on.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Last weekend I took my 2015 2500HD on a vacation. Maybe 10 hours into the trip overdrive quit working and the engine light came on. Already depressing gas mileage got even worse as rpm was higher than normal. The last 1/4 mile of the trip it never shifted out of 1st gear! Called the closest dealer (45 minutes away) on Monday morning. Took it in Tuesday morning. engine light had gone out and trans seemed normal. Wasted most of a day waiting for them to verify that there was a problem and get me a rental. I wasted yesterday because they said it would be ready and it wasn't. I just picked it up this afternoon(another day half shot). We leave tomorrow to go home. :( Here is what they found.

Black clutches in the pan. Lucky I made it.

Converter and pump cover shot.

They replaced clutches, plates, gaskets, seals and pump cover with new parts.

replaced converter with a reman. Not to happy about that. This truck has 2300 miles on it and now has a rebuilt trans and a reman converter. I work for GM so you can bet they will hear about it.

Hope I make it home. I'll probably worry the whole way.

Last weekend I took my 2015 2500HD on a vacation. Maybe 10 hours into the trip overdrive quit working and the engine light came on. Already depressing gas mileage got even worse as rpm was higher than normal. The last 1/4 mile of the trip it never shifted out of 1st gear! Called the closest dealer (45 minutes away) on Monday morning. Took it in Tuesday morning. engine light had gone out and trans seemed normal. Wasted most of a day waiting for them to verify that there was a problem and get me a rental. I wasted yesterday because they said it would be ready and it wasn't. I just picked it up this afternoon(another day half shot). We leave tomorrow to go home. :( Here is what they found.

Black clutches in the pan. Lucky I made it.

Converter and pump cover shot.

They replaced clutches, plates, gaskets, seals and pump cover with new parts.

replaced converter with a reman. Not to happy about that. This truck has 2300 miles on it and now has a rebuilt trans and a reman converter. I work for GM so you can bet they will hear about it.

Hope I make it home. I'll probably worry the whole way.

Service torque converters for just about all GM transmissions are reman from GM. No service new converters listed in the parts catalog You work for them, you should know that... :smoker:

Edited by 15HDriver

Service torque converters for just about all GM transmissions are reman from GM. No service new converters listed in the parts catalog You work for them, you should know that... :smoker:

Why should I know that? I didn't say that I work in a dealership. In 34 years as a toolmaker in an assembly plant I have never seen a parts book.