Travel Trailer recommendations...

Did I miss somthing on the payloads for the 14/15.

It varies based off of what package you have but everyone seems to be fixed on 1500lbs.

When in reality the payload varries from 1,736 to 2,011 lbs.

All of the newer 1500's even the F150 are all higher then 1500lbs now.

Did I miss somthing on the payloads for the 14/15.

It varies based off of what package you have but everyone seems to be fixed on 1500lbs.

When in reality the payload varries from 1,736 to 2,011 lbs.

All of the newer 1500's even the F150 are all higher then 1500lbs now.

They do vary by package and the advertised payloads are for base model trucks. Use the option weight calculator or look at your door jam sticker for an accurate capacity. In my case 1500 was about spot on and you still have to subtract passengers out.

The sticker on the door jam is important but its best to go weigh your truck with full gas, people and whatever you will load for camping, and subtract that from you GVW. you'd be surprised how quick that 1700lb payload vanishes.

spoken from experience as I too was surprised that my 1000lb tongue weight on my 7200lb trailer puts me over my GVW

I'm still looking for a popup for my wife and daughter. My wife is very adept at tent camping, and I was in scouts for 23 years. But, I'm 42 now..and really don't enjoy sleeping on the ground too much anymore. Took the wife to her first RV show a few months back and sold her at least in a popup, maybe a hybrid.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Be careful not to press your luck with the Hybrid. :rollin:

In all seriousness though what I do like about the pop-ups is that you still have the feeling of a tent but you're off of the ground. Plus it does provide a nice place to hide out if you have a rainy day. I'm still tenting it but I don't have kids either and it's probably easier to contain them in a trailer than a tent too. lol

Look in the glove box for reserve capacity. this will tell you what you can load in truck after passengers and fuel. Subtract all aditional weight (tounge weight, WD hitch mount weight and cargo weight). As long as you do not exceed this reserve capacity weight with your TT you will be legal. Keep in mind pulling more than 5% grades will be a issue if you go for max trailer weight. Stay around 75% of max to be safe. Your GVWR with max tow package is at least 7200lb and the newer transmissions pull better.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 26' TT and loaded weight is about 6200 lbs maybe. I have pulled it with a 14 5.3 3.42s did real well it was a load but pulled much better then my 09 5.3 with 3.42 I now have a 15 6.2 3.23 ( wish it had 3.42 ) and it's like night and day. So if I was you and did not want to max your truck out I would say unloaded dry weight max around 6000 lbs

^^^^^^^

How does the 6.2L do with those higher gears, and I am assuming it's got the 8 speed?

I haven't heard of that engine & gear combination before. To be honest, I didn't even realize GM offered anything other than 3.42 or 3.73 for those trucks, interesting.

Your 14 pulled better than the 09 probably because the new EcoTec-3 engines are stronger than the Vortec of the same size. Also, how was the 5.3L compared to the 6.2L with the higher gears?

If there is any issue you don't like when towing with the new truck, a tune can take care if that for you and would be well worth it.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^

How does the 6.2L do with those higher gears, and I am assuming it's got the 8 speed?

I haven't heard of that engine & gear combination before. To be honest, I didn't even realize GM offered anything other than 3.42 or 3.73 for those trucks, interesting.

Your 14 pulled better than the 09 probably because the new EcoTec-3 engines are stronger than the Vortec of the same size. Also, how was the 5.3L compared to the 6.2L with the higher gears?

If there is any issue you don't like when towing with the new truck, a tune can take care if that for you and would be well worth it.

Sent from my crappy iPhone 6

using Tapatalk

i would of liked to have the 3.42 gears but the 3.23 get the job done and as far as the 6.2 its worth the money to me and it's the same motor as the corvette ( LT1 ) with diffret intake and exhaust and yes I have the 8 speed if you really are worried about towing get the NHT package but the only difference is the 3.42 and heavier springs but if you only tow a few times of year like me it's not worth the extra 10k for a 2500 diesel the 6.2 can handle it and with the 3.23 i would say up to 10k lbs you would be ok I just don't like to run on the upper limits because let's face it it's really not made to pull that much all the time

Archived