Odometer and Hour Meter - Where is data stored?

Current owner of a 2004 5.3 Suburban. Looking at a 2005 Sierra HD Duramax with a branded title for mileage discrepancy. I've confirmed the odometer mileage is not correct and I understand the mileage is only stored in the cluster. So there is no way to find the 'real' mileage number. Way to go GM.

Does anyone know if the actual engine hours might be stored in an onboard computer?

I'm interested in purchasing the truck, but need to get a handle on either hours or mileage with some degree of accruacy.

Thanks!

Only stored in the cluster

Scanned today with Snap-On Solus Ultra - it showed engine hours readout from ECM. It showed mileage from cluster. I know mileage isn't correct, as I've discovered two spliced wires in cluster harness and and found a hidden rocker switch - assuming this was ODO kill switch. Trying to get a handle on hours so I can make an offer - or pass.

I was reading something a while ago that said if you have the amount of hours and multiply that by sixty, that will give you an approximate of how many miles are on the engine. You figure a 2004 driving 15K per year should have around 165K miles today, multiplying the hours by sixty may give you an idea of how many miles is on that truck.

If that truck has a tampered odometer I'd run.

I know, I'm headed that way. But....if I can get a comfort level with accuracy of engine hours and pick it up for way below book, I'm sorta interested. I'm having a local guy that does a lot of duramax fleet work look at it. His advice over the phone, 'you'd better get it a price low enough you could throw $10K in it and it still be a deal'.

If the odo has been tampered with, I'd be extremely concerned as to what else has been messed with. It's one thing for the odo to die but to intentionally turn it off... I have to second the run away idea.

Ya it's one thing to have the cluster go out and have to put another one, but it's a totally different thing to see that someone actually tampered with it. I honestly don't care how cheap you could get it, there's other D-maxs out there that you can get and not worry about how everything might be.

Don't count on the EH hours to be accurate either.

How can the ECM hours be off? As I understand it, the cluster reads hours from ECM, unlike mileage which is only logged in cluster.

Nevermind: Just read that a number of issues can cause ECM to reset - one being batteries disconnected for an extended period.

How can the ECM hours be off? As I understand it, the cluster reads hours from ECM, unlike mileage which is only logged in cluster.

Nevermind: Just read that a number of issues can cause ECM to reset - one being batteries disconnected for an extended period.

And you have no idea if that is the ECM that came with the vehcle

Archived