I Like TPMS

I don't know if GM calls them TPMS but I've gotta say that they've possibly saved me from a blowout on the highway (696 for you MI residents).

Just got out of work and got into my truck only to see a warning that my passenger rear is down to 15 PSI. Got out to look at the tire and there is a decent sized screw stuck in the tire. It was just 2 weeks ago that I had a screw in this same tire, but it did not penatrate deep enough to cause a leak. What bad luck. (Or junky Goodyear LS2s?)

So anyway, I limped it to the nearest Discount Tire from my work, luckily only 2 miles away down here in the Southfield.

Got a quote on some 275 65 20 BFG AT Ko2... $1500 with warranty, before $220 trade in on my set of stockers. Gotta pass on that for now...

Sitting here now for probably the next hour i guess.. typed this on my phone, hopefully no crazy typos. Could be worse... that tire could've let go if i had not known it was going flat. That could have been a mess.

Discount tire charged me nothing, however I need to go back tomorrow because when i got home and washed the white goop off the wheel there are scuff marks and scratches in multiple spots.

What a pain in the butt this turned into.

How is TPMS done in these trucks? Sensors in the stems or do they use the ABS sensors like Olds did a few years back? (I guess if the system told you 15 pounds it must be the sensors, but didn't know if you measured that afterwards.)

I don't know if GM calls them TPMS but I've gotta say that they've possibly saved me from a blowout on the highway (696 for you MI residents).

Just got out of work and got into my truck only to see a warning that my passenger rear is down to 15 PSI. Got out to look at the tire and there is a decent sized screw stuck in the tire. It was just 2 weeks ago that I had a screw in this same tire, but it did not penatrate deep enough to cause a leak. What bad luck. (Or junky Goodyear LS2s?)

So anyway, I limped it to the nearest Discount Tire from my work, luckily only 2 miles away down here in the Southfield.

Got a quote on some 275 65 20 BFG AT Ko2... $1500 with warranty, before $220 trade in on my set of stockers. Gotta pass on that for now...

Sitting here now for probably the next hour i guess.. typed this on my phone, hopefully no crazy typos. Could be worse... that tire could've let go if i had not known it was going flat. That could have been a mess.

Not bashing on the TPMS. It's a good thing for most people.

But don't you think that you'd have felt that something isn't right before you hit the highway?

so long

j-ten-ner

How is TPMS done in these trucks? Sensors in the stems or do they use the ABS sensors like Olds did a few years back? (I guess if the system told you 15 pounds it must be the sensors, but didn't know if you measured that afterwards.)

On the stem.

As for the OP, I had a nail in one of my tires that was causing a slow leak. If it wasn't for TPMS I wouldn't have known until it was way low. The TPMS on these seem to be 2-3 psi off, but are all consistent so you can trust if it shows a tire off by just a couple psi.

Before this truck I haven't had TPMS so I just checked all of the tire pressures about once a week. Now I just do a quick look at the tire page in the DIC.

Just bad luck man. I have the Continental tires from the factory on mine and had a nail and screw in the same tire within a month both patched and good to go.

Not bashing on the TPMS. It's a good thing for most people.

But don't you think that you'd have felt that something isn't right before you hit the highway?

so long

j-ten-ner

You know, that is a very good point. While I was driving it to Discount Tire, I honestly do not remember it feeling all that different. It could also have been because I was frustrated that it happened and was a little worried that the screw would go in even deeper as I was driving and that my PSI would begin to drop even more to the point where I wouldn't be able to continue driving. I also kept my speed slow, max 30 MPH. I would imagine if I had merged on the highway, it would have been much more noticeable. These new trucks drive too darn nice.

On the stem.

As for the OP, I had a nail in one of my tires that was causing a slow leak. If it wasn't for TPMS I wouldn't have known until it was way low. The TPMS on these seem to be 2-3 psi off, but are all consistent so you can trust if it shows a tire off by just a couple psi.

Before this truck I haven't had TPMS so I just checked all of the tire pressures about once a week. Now I just do a quick look at the tire page in the DIC.

Wow man props to you for checking tire psi on a weekly basis on your previous truck!! I pretty much only checked mine every few months.

We've TPMS on two of our three vehicles, but I drive the other one. So I still end up checking all three every week while I'm checking fluids.

Wow man props to you for checking tire psi on a weekly basis on your previous truck!! I pretty much only checked mine every few months.

To make it easier to remember I got into the habit of checking the tire pressures everytime I filled it up with gas and that was usually about once a week, at least that's how it was with my 98. My 86 that I had before the 98 I just checked it once a week since I had to fill it up more often lol. The gas station I used to go to 9 times out of 10 also had free air so it was easy to just check the pressure before I left or before I filled up. The bad thing is that they had the air in a bad spot where it was in front of a parking spot and you know it's always that person wanting to park in that exact spot just to go in while there's plenty of other spots open to park in. Well of course now that station is closed along with others because Sheets opened a station in town. Now there's only really one station with free air and luckily they still have the air hose even though it looks like that station also closed, but the air and pressure wash bays are still operating thankfully.

To make it easier to remember I got into the habit of checking the tire pressures everytime I filled it up with gas and that was usually about once a week, at least that's how it was with my 98. My 86 that I had before the 98 I just checked it once a week since I had to fill it up more often lol. The gas station I used to go to 9 times out of 10 also had free air so it was easy to just check the pressure before I left or before I filled up. The bad thing is that they had the air in a bad spot where it was in front of a parking spot and you know it's always that person wanting to park in that exact spot just to go in while there's plenty of other spots open to park in. Well of course now that station is closed along with others because Sheets opened a station in town. Now there's only really one station with free air and luckily they still have the air hose even though it looks like that station also closed, but the air and pressure wash bays are still operating thankfully.

Hmm yeah that is a good way to do since the pump is running and if you happen to need air, you can go ahead and just air up after your tank fills.

Well, I'm runnin on my ugly black spare now because Discount Tire has to send my wheel out to get refinished since they gouged it up. I am very satisfied with how they handled the situation, no questions asked.

I keep saying I'm gonna plasti dip the spare silver so it at least sort of matches the other wheels, lmao.

Hmm yeah that is a good way to do since the pump is running and if you happen to need air, you can go ahead and just air up after your tank fills.

Well, I'm runnin on my ugly black spare now because Discount Tire has to send my wheel out to get refinished since they gouged it up. I am very satisfied with how they handled the situation, no questions asked.

I keep saying I'm gonna plasti dip the spare silver so it at least sort of matches the other wheels, lmao.

Just do the next step and buy a 5th rim like what's on the truck now.

Archived