Weight limit I can carry safely in my bed?

wait..now ya'll got me confused, payload max is 1,800lbs on the 4.3/5.3 standard 6'6 bed right? what if i got bubba who weighs 300lbs in the passenger seat in the cab and uncle charlie who weighs 300lbs behind him, and mr.yee-haa (me) who weighs in at 170lbs driving, that's 770lbs in the cab...does that reduce your payload capacity? so with all 3, can i still haul 1,800lbs in the bed?

Look at the door jamb tire placard (sticker) the one on the b pillar when you open the door. Has your payload written on it.

For example. A 2WD double cab 4.3 V6, 3.23 gear on our lot has a payload of 1828lbs. They all vary. Look at the sticker.

Look at the door jamb tire placard (sticker) the one on the b pillar when you open the door. Has your payload written on it.

For example. A 2WD double cab 4.3 V6, 3.23 gear on our lot has a payload of 1828lbs. They all vary. Look at the sticker.

i know my payload......i just want to verify if my payload stays the same even with bubba, charlie and myself, yee-haa, are in the cab at the same time.

i know my payload......i just want to verify if my payload stays the same even with bubba, charlie and myself, yee-haa, are in the cab at the same time.

Occupants and cargo cannot exceed the payload weight. So you and the gang reduce the remaining payload amount. Say 3 of you are 200 lbs each (rounding numbers) thats 600lbs in people. 1828lbs - 600lbs = 1228lbs remaining payload. The sticker says that whole occupants and cargo must not exceed right next to the payload weight.

And from the order guide:

Maximum payload capacity includes weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment and cargo.

Edited by 15HDriver
  • Like 1

Occupants and cargo cannot exceed the payload weight. So you and the gang reduce the remaining payload amount. Say 3 of you are 200 lbs each (rounding numbers) thats 600lbs in people. 1828lbs - 600lbs = 1228lbs remaining payload. The sticker says that whole occupants and cargo must not exceed right next to the payload weight.

you da man!

That's a guide, but w/ trucks I'm 10000% certain they are super conservative in the payload recommendations. All day every day I see 1/2 ton pickups carrying 1500-2000 lbs easy in the bed not accounting for occupants or gear. Not saying you should go crazy, but I think if you drive normal speeds and don't take unneeded risks you can exceed the rated payload by 30% without a hitch. I think you can exceed it easily by 50% even- problem is the effect on braking and the suspension components, the frame/bed is rugged enough to take quite a bit of weight, the leaf springs, shocks, joints etc have very defined limits.

The gvwr for my Z06 is like 375 lbs, if that was 100% accurate 2 guys wouldn't be able to go for a weekend golf trip!!

Edited by crushNchowda

• 4 years later...

There's also registration limits in some states.  I know for here in VT, you have to register your truck for a certain load capacity.

For example, I have mine registered for the lowest load weight (up to 6099 lbs).  If curb weight is 5200-5400lbs, that doesn't leave much for gear, buddies, etc to be over the legal limit.  (although I've rarely heard of anyone being fined)