Leveling kit advice please

http://www.socalsupertrucks.com/fox-2-0-performance-series-coil-over-ifp-shock-chevy-gmc.aspx#.VbGMzp_D_qD

Front shockshttp://www.socalsupertrucks.com/fox-2-0-performance-series-ifp-shock-chevy-gmc.aspx#.VbGNB5_D_qD

Rear shocks

The reason I looked at Fox shocks was bc I have never heard anything bad about Fox. I'm sure there are some negative comments on Fox, but I haven't heard any

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

So now I'm really lost. It turns out I have steel control arms, not aluminum. I spoke with a rep from fox and he said they don't have that coil over available yet for mine. I really wanted to go the fox route but it appears I'll have to either wait or choose something else.

Also, I looked at that icon kit, but it's more money than I intended to spend on this venture.

Josh

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't see why they wouldn't work with steel control arms. Only difference is the ball joint taper sizes and holes to fit the tapers on the knuckles as far as I know. I've heard that the fox shocks aren't really worth the money and king or icon are better for a daily driver as well as off road.

I can't see why they wouldn't work with steel control arms. Only difference is the ball joint taper sizes and holes to fit the tapers on the knuckles as far as I know. I've heard that the fox shocks aren't really worth the money and king or icon are better for a daily driver as well as off road.

Do you happen to know the king part numbers? Their website is awfully confusing honestly. I'm just looking to level my truck in the best way. I plan on keeping this for awhile. I don't want to go the icon route because it's ridiculously expensive.

Josh

Kings are nice but about 1200-1300 a set. Not sure why the fox won't work on steel control arms. The only reason some ask is for bolt lengths. I only go off-road 5% of the time so I just went with bilstein. I got luck and ordered 2 sets off eBay last week and got them Wednesday. Would love fox or king but while nice it's not necessary for my driving.

So now I'm really lost. It turns out I have steel control arms, not aluminum. I spoke with a rep from fox and he said they don't have that coil over available yet for mine. I really wanted to go the fox route but it appears I'll have to either wait or choose something else.

Also, I looked at that icon kit, but it's more money than I intended to spend on this venture.

Josh

I think the problem lies in the bolts provided to mount the bottom of the shock. It's the same problem for level kits from rough country. I think the aluminum control arms need longer bolts than the steel control arms. The shock will work, you will either need to buy shorter bolts or cut the bolts that come with your new shocks, if you choose to go that way.

So I contacted Fox directly through their email support. They responded telling me that the part number I need is 983-02-086. When I look that one up on the site I planned on originally ordering from it says it's for the 07-13's though. I'm sure the Fox representative knows more than the retailer right? I made sure in my email to be clear which truck I have, and even stated the dilemma about aluminum vs steel control arms.

I think I'm just going to have faith that it's correct. I plan on ordering them next week.

Josh

Thank you very much.

So I'm looking at:

(2) 983-02-086

(2) 980-24-660

That should raise the front 2" and also improve the ride quality quite a bit. Then I'm putting 275/60/20 BFG KO2's on. I'm hoping to have this done by September 1st.

Josh

Thank you very much.

So I'm looking at:

(2) 983-02-086

(2) 980-24-660

That should raise the front 2" and also improve the ride quality quite a bit. Then I'm putting 275/60/20 BFG KO2's on. I'm hoping to have this done by September 1st.

Josh

I looked at that front shock first. It's for the '07-'13 models, which technically will for our trucks as well.

Good choices. Keep me posted on how awesome they are

Just out of curiosity, would a larger size KO2 fit with this level? I was under the impression that 275/60/20 is the highest I could go. I sure would like the 285/65/20, but I don't think that would work with only raising the front 2". I'm keeping the stock wheels by the way.

Thanks

Josh

285/65r20 is a 34.6" tall and 11.22" wide. Depending on tire manufacturer of course. On only a two inch level I would say you'll be trimming to fit that. Have seen a 35x12.5 on a 2.5" level and we all know most 35" tires are really 34.5" depending also on manufacturer.

285/65r20 is a 34.6" tall and 11.22" wide. Depending on tire manufacturer of course. On only a two inch level I would say you'll be trimming to fit that. Have seen a 35x12.5 on a 2.5" level and we all know most 35" tires are really 34.5" depending also on manufacturer.

Thanks, I figured I was pushing it, but it was worth asking. I'll stick with the 275/60/20 since I know that'll fit.

Josh

There are a few on here with a 275/65r20 and a level. If you do a quick search you'll probably be able to locate those members info rather easily. Can't remember if they all have the 2.5" but worth a look.

Archived