HID in stock headlights?

In general... I know it is a bad idea to run HIDs in reflector style housings. However, I can't afford projectors right now and I can see so much better with the brightness of HIDs. I tried searching for some pics/topics of people running HIDs in their 14+ trucks but couldn't find any. Any issues with heat, melting, hotspots or any issues at all other than being a jerk and getting flashed by other cars? Haha pics would be cool too. Thanks guys!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had them in my 2014 Silverado regular headlights. I had no issues with heat and melting in the summer, the problem is to not be offensive to other drivers I had to turn them down so low that they were not as good as the regular bulbs set properly. I drive dark country roads all the time and the hids would light up road signs so bright that they were hard to look at also

Heck people try to flash me with Halogens and stock headlights. Yes I am lifted but I aimed the headlights down to compensate for that. Now that I think of it I even was flashed when stock. Its mainly people who have no tinted windows though.

I currently have 4500K Miromoto HIDs in stock housings. Aimed them down a bit, and they are fantastic. To the point I am afraid to buy projectors in terms of loosing light output. If i had to guess I would say 1 out of every 50 cars flashes me. I've also sat in a veh and passed my truck to see what it looks like and I've noticed the LED fogs throw more obnoxious light around than the HIDs. I'm not sure why really.

The headlights aren't as bad from a distance as they are at the moment my truck passes you, then its pretty evil....

I had LED headlights in my hummer and they were so bad I removed them. The round headlight threw so much light around just about every veh I passed flashed me. These headlights are much more controlled in my opinion.

As far as lighting up the road signs at night, yes, they catch all the light and are very bright on rural roads in the dark as is the case around where I live.

There is ZERO comparison to the stock headlights, and even with them aimed down to be more respectful they are incredibly better. Period.

I'm not telling you its correct, I'm just giving my personal experience.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

You can aim adjust cutoffs down for both HID's in stockers and LED Fogs. If you are reflecting off road signs that brightly then you are definitely blinding incoming traffic. Get the beam cutoff adjusted 2-3" lower than the height of the HID bulb.

On top of the stock headlamp housings are a white or grey plastic phillips screw slot which will adjust the headlamps. The Morimoto XD fogs use the stocker adjustable bottom post and also have a very defined cutoff that can be aimed downwards to the road surface.

You can aim adjust cutoffs down for both HID's in stockers and LED Fogs. If you are reflecting off road signs that brightly then you are definitely blinding incoming traffic. Get the beam cutoff adjusted 2-3" lower than the height of the HID bulb.

On top of the stock headlamp housings are a white or grey plastic phillips screw slot which will adjust the headlamps. The Morimoto XD fogs use the stocker adjustable bottom post and also have a very defined cutoff that can be aimed downwards to the road surface.

Good to know about the fogs, I think they are the biggest issue. They light up a wall in front of me but produce little to zero usable light on the road, Mainly got them to match the HIDs.

Just like highbeams, if the fogs are set too high, in fog/rain/snow they will reflect light back at the driver. Get them highlighting the road surface to cut beneath incoming weather (and oncoming drivers).

I have 5K hids in my headlights and 5K LED in my fog lights, headlights are angled down to make up for my lift, I don't get flashed at, and have no problems,

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Way too much foreground lighting there

The pictures don't do it justice. I NEVER get flashed by incoming drivers. My truck is lifted with 35s also. What most guys don't do it Re-aim their headlights so they are pointed in the right area. I had to turn my down quite a bit.

They put out tons of light and the factory reflectors do a pretty decent job of focusing the light.

Archived