For now, the truck is aligned with negative cam to try to get the tires to ride on the inside until we can get it fixed. From the pics and description of your post, we probably have a lift/kit with the same problem. Hopefully it will be recognized and corrected. I'll keep you posted

As I mentioned back on the first page. I too have the same problem. I don't think mine is quite as bad as yours...but still the same problem. I think my tires are showing about the same amount of wear as yours...but I'm at 20k instead of your 12k. Please post all info you get...I'm thinking this has to be a fabtech issue (either general flaw with Gen1 system and 2014+ truck styles...or maybe a manufacturing tolerance defect that just shows up on some trucks and with varying degrees).

Also...just a thought on your comment above... To buy myself some time until we all get this figured out, I had all my tires taken off the rims and put back on backwards so all my insides are now my outsides. This let me keep a true alignment but stop the excessive wear and shift the wear to the other edge. I figured this would even out the wear a bit and it seems to be working pretty well so far. Worked good for me because I have nitto trail grapplers and so the tires are reversible...

Edited by bobn4burton

From what i understand, the steering arms on the spindles dimensions are different between the left and right side. The mechanic measured the distance between the back of the rim and the point where the tie-rods meet the spindle and said that they are about 1/4" - 3/8" different. When turning, the outside wheel turns about 22 degrees and the inside tire turns 18 degrees. Completely opposite of what it is supposed to do and what I've been complaining about since I bought it. Apparently there is either a design flaw or manufacturing problem on the spindles. Either way, it's going to have to be fixed or i will be spending a ton of $$ on tires and other parts that wear prematurely. Not sure who's paying/doing the work but working on that now. I'm assuming they will also be buying me a new set of tires after everything is fixed. i'm supposed to hear back on Monday after Southern Comfort and the Fabtech manager talk.

Good info man.. At this point, has Southern Comfort acknowledged that you have a problem and they intend to take care of it? Or is everyone still beating around the bush?

I'm in the same boat as u guys 2014 acl z92 gen1 lift almost 20000 . Had four pair of front tires put on, seven alignments ,still does the same thing . ALC had it for two weeks got it back three weeks latter started clunking found upper control arm bolts lose . Called fabtech talked to Armon he said the guys doing the alignments need to know how to read the tires and adjust accordingly, not just in the green . Don't know what else to do

I've talked to Armen with Fabtech and several times and had an e-mail chain going for a few weeks and I was told the exact same thing. I had the dealer align it to factory specs, then to Fabtech specs (which made it worse), then back to factory. I knew the problem but no idea what was causing it. When I finally took it to a well known local alignment shop, he could see the problem almost immediately. It's something they don't catch on the $50k+ computerized alignment machines because they never have to turn the wheel and have little to no mechanic experience.

Everyone here having the same problem with: 2014+ Chevy/GM, Aluminum suspension, Gen 1 6" Fabtech lift.

I'm betting on either a design flaw with Gen 1 lifts or a bad batch of manufactured lifts. The alignment shop measured the distance between the tie rod mount on the spindle and the rim and said there was a 1/4"-3/8" difference between the left and right side. I tried to measure it but couldn't get a good read. I'll try to get a good caliper and check again today.

Southern Comfort has been reassuring me that we will get the problem taken care of and is supposed to be talking to the Fabtech manager today. Armen with Fabtech said it's the alignment but everyone here knows there is a bigger issue. The dealer I bought it from has give up and won't return my calls. I'll keep you posted on what I hear from Southern Comfort. It seems like they want to get it fixed as much as I do.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update on my truck. The dealership has had it for a week in a half. I stopped by on the way home yesterday to check on it. i was told that the 4 WD Hi issue is resolved, I assume it was a software refresh. They are also replacing the transmission. The advisor also told me that this is probably not the last item, as they are not 100% sure the grinding noise is coming from the tranny. Ugh. I just want a truck that drives like it's supposed too and that I can trust.

I'm assuming it will be another week before I get it back, as the tranny won't arrive till Friday. We will see if everything is fixed or not. As soon as I have it, I will follow up here.

Just an update... Finally got the truck back to the alignment shop (which is a guy that has been doing 4wd's, suspensions, tires, lifts, etc. for years... he recently purchased a new computer/laser alignment machine). The machine did show that the toe was off a little, I believe on the passenger side only. The alignment guy (technician) did mention that he felt it biting when he turned sharp up into his garage bay so he knew something wasn't right. HOWEVER, it still bites and slides the tires like it did before. Owner of the shop says its not out of the ordinary and that for my tires to have 20k on them never being rotated, he thinks they look great. Long story short, we rotated the tires and got it aligned. There may be some truth to the fact that these did have 20k on them before rotating but I still believe that in 2-3k miles my now front tires (were the rear, perfectly even wear pattern) will be worn down to match the old fronts.

I don't know anything else to do. I sincerely hope they are right but doubt it. Its just a waiting game now.

I did see a friend of mine this weekend with the exact same setup as I have who has 68k miles on his original set of tires. The outsides of his tires look slightly pitted like ours look, and I saw a few slide marks on his tires from where he parked, however, overall, his tire wear looked pretty even and great for 68k miles. I figure worse case, I will try to get up with him, take his truck to the shop and see exactly where it is set, and have mine set that way.

I'm still working with Fabtech and Southern Comfort to see what we can do to get it figured out. I was doing some research over the weekend and thought of a key issue with lifts. When they design these, they have to account for trucks ranging in all wheelbases. In other words, the same lift is designed to work with a truck having 112" wheelbase and a truck with 147" wheelbase. i noticed that none of the kits ask for truck wheelbase and are compatible with extended cab, crew cab, and quad cab. Since these all have different wheelbases, the required Ackermann angle will be different but the lift design (i'm assuming) is designed to meet somewhere in the middle. Since everyone here is having the same issue with the longer wheelbase, I think we are seeing the effect of increased Ackermann. I'm going to continue to dig around and hopefully come up with a solution soon.

• 2 weeks later...

No sure if anyone has gotten a solution to this problem but I've gone back and forth with Fabtech and they are recommending i change to the Gen II lift. At this point i don't see any other options If I want to get the truck right and keep it for a few years. I'll update once a final decision has been made.

Will Fabtech supply the gen2 lift for free? Seems like they should as it is obviously a design flaw with gen1 lifts and 2014+ trucks...

Of course, then there is the issue of labor...

Would you have to replace the whole system? Or are there key components that could just be swapped for gen2 versions?

Well, another update. It has been around 4 weeks since I dropped the truck off at the dealer. They ended up replacing the transmission. I went to pick it up last Friday and did my walk around. Somebody at the dealership sideswiped a pole or something with one of the rear fender flares. I didn't even drive the truck. Left with the loaner. Got a call today to come by and pick it up. Again, I walked around it, but the repair is not to my standards. All they did was buff the damage. The scratches were glossy as hell, but they were still there. Left with the loaner again. Now they are going to re spray the fender flare.

As soon as I get it back and I'm able to drive it, I will see if they addressed the wheel skipping issue. I'm not the happiest camper right now. Now I have a damaged and hopefully repaired 6 month old truck.

• 2 weeks later...

From what I got, I'm able to convert to the Gen II lift but after the cutting/install i won't be able to go back to a Gen I lift. they are willing to send me all the components to swap to the Gen II lift (free of charge) but I'm trying to figure out the labor charge and warranty specifics. Thinking it will have to be installed by an approved shop to be covered under warranty. I am willing to do it myself to make sure it's done right but don't think that will fly. I'm just getting back from a 2 week vacation and will call them again tomorrow to get the details. I'll keep you posted.

Finally got my truck back this week. It now drives fine. My turning radius is equal to a stock crew cab and there is no wheel skip. I must have the gen 2 lift. Good luck with yours Adam. Hopefully the new parts help.

• Like 1

bmc350,

Can you check to see if you have the coil spring spacer on the top of the shock or at the bottom? If it's at the top then you have the Gen II lift. I'm really curious since Southern Comfort told me that they don't use the Gen II lifts on any of the Black Widow trucks. This may not be true and i'm anxious to find out. Also, If you DO in fact have the Gen I lift without any problems it will help my case a lot with a possible manufacturing problem with my spindles.

I'm still trying to find the root-cause of the issue. If you have a Gen II then all of this will just confirm a bad Gen I design. Thanks!

Seems I have the same problem. 13,000 miles and on the second set of tires. I have been dealing with the dealership and Rocky Mountain Truck works (Vanworks) to resolve the issue. The dealership has pretty much washed its hands of the situation. After two alignments and a set of tires, they now say its RMT's problem. They (RMT) installed the lift.

I took it to RMT and the guy I dealt with there (Preston) tried to tell me this is perfectly normal.

Hopefully someone can get their problem resolved and help the rest of us with some answers. Because this is definitely NOT normal....