It's not apparent to me that larger or smaller tires would come into play. Anyone?

It shouldn't change the Ackerman as far as I can see, but I can see it changing the dynamics somewhat. A change in tire width would move the contact patch relative to the centerline of the truck (assuming camber is not 0) and a change in diameter would impact trail (assuming caster is not 0). Not to mention what a change in wheel offset would do. Either of these will change the scrub radius and that might make the Ackerman issue (if there is one) more obvious.

• Like 1

It shouldn't change the Ackerman as far as I can see, but I can see it changing the dynamics somewhat. A change in tire width would move the contact patch relative to the centerline of the truck (assuming camber is not 0) and a change in diameter would impact trail (assuming caster is not 0). Not to mention what a change in wheel offset would do. Either of these will change the scrub radius and that might make the Ackerman issue (if there is one) more obvious.

Good thoughts. Your post also highlights that a change in wheel offset would change the track width and therefore the Ackermann requirement.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update.

I now hear a popping noise coming from the front end when turning at low speeds (>15mph) when turning in either direction. It sounds like slack in either a control arm, ball joint or tie rod end. Thinking it has something to do with the tires binding (my original issue) and now wearing out/putting pressure on other components or they didn't torque the alignment bolts enough after the third alignment. The truck is scheduled to be looked at by a different dealership this time. Only 11k miles and already this much trouble...... Not happy with Chevrolet/GMC.

I'll update after I hear what the dealership has to say.

Picked the truck up from the dealer yesterday afternoon and they had done nothing. Pretty sure they took it to lunch, claimed that they couldn't hear the popping, then said that they didn't want to even look at the tire drag while turning issue since they don't deal with Southern Comfort trucks. As I drove away from the service area, the steering popped several times ad continues to do it consistently.

There is no possible way they couldn't hear it unless they are deaf. After taking with the Southern Comfort rep (who spoke with the dealership), I'm convinced that they just didn't want to deal with it. I'm stumped at this point. Supposed to hear back today from Southern Comfort on the next steps to take and/or where to bring it.

I haven't even had my first oil change and it's falling apart. If nothing gets resolved within the next two weeks I'm going to have to look into lemon law or return options.

This is either a defective lift, lemon truck, or just really shitty service. Ironic since the dealership I bought it is called "Service"

Hello Adam. I have the same truck, 15 Sierra Black Widow with 6" fabtech lift and experiencing similar issues. I bought it brand new. My lock up when turning seems to be a little worse than yours. I don't even make it to the steering locks and can barely back out of or pull into a parking spot. I get to about 10 or 12 degrees of turn and it is like I am applying the brakes, in forward and reverse. If I turn much farther, The truck will actually lock the outside wheel and stop the truck all together. Looked underneath and there are no signs of rubbing what so ever.

I am having some other issues as well. I believe my lock up is due to the fact that my truck has decided to engage 4WD Hi on its own. I've had the truck for 7000 miles and left the 4WD selector switch in 2WD since I owned it. I took it into the dealer for the turning issue and they told me the truck is in 4WD Hi and they can not get it to disengage. I have an appointment to take it in in about a week. I will post back here if the turning issue is resolved with the fix to the 4WD system.

My other concern is what damage has been done to the front transfer case since it has been driven in 4WD Hi for 7000 miles.

Secondly, it seems my torque converter is having issues. There are times when I put it into drive and the tranny does not engage until after I apply the accelerator. This results in a type of launch situation that will actually screech the tires. I also have experienced similar issues while driving, both accelerating and decelerating, from a stop and while underway.

Just this morning a new issue started. a couple seconds after starting and in idle during warm up, a loud moaning started. Sounded like it was coming from the tranny or transfer case. Increasing the idle while in park or neutral did not change the tone or loudness, but when I started driving, the loudness did increase. Eventually it went away and then became intermittent during my 45 minute drive to work. It seemed to only return when the truck was not under load. In other words, when going up a hill or coming down a hill you could not hear it, but while on flat road sections it came back. I will see if it is still there on the way home.

Edited by bmc350

i haven't had any issues with noises coming from the tranny/transfer case but mine does jump a little when going from park to drive. Mine just seems like a delay when engaging in gear. I've suspected that the truck is in 4wd by the way it turns even though the switch stays in 2WD. I've put it in grass and power-braked just to make sure and only had the rear tires spin so ruled that out. I'm wondering if mine is going in and out of 4wd without me even knowing.

I had a buddy help me on the popping noise and it seemed that one of the upper control arm alignment bolts wasn't tight enough allowing the control arm to pop/move when turning the wheel. I'm assuming the last dealer I brought it to didn't tighten it enough after the alignment. I torqued it up and haven't had any more popping but I'm sure the alignment is out again.... so back to the dealer.

I drove my dads 2015 GMC sierra Rock Ridge edition this weekend and it turns/drives great. He has the same tires and 6" Fabtech lift as well but it's the 2nd generation with spacers on the top of the coils. I'm wondering if Fabtech knows about these problems with the first Gen lifts and is trying to cover. My next move is to bring it to an independent shop here and let them align it. If that doesn't fix the turning I will have to look into returning the truck. Can't/won't pay the $$$ for a truck that can't be fixed.

Keep me posted on how your truck comes out when the dealer is finished.

Justin,

Any updates since the alignment? the dealer here wants nothing to do with me or the truck. They sold it to me and now are hoping i'll go away. i have an appointment with an independent alignment shop tomorrow and hoping I can get it fixed. My tires are basically shot with ~12k miles.

BMC350,

Any updates on your issues?

I'm dropping the truck off at the dealer this weekend. They will have all next week to address the issues while I'm out of town.

I haven't contacted SCA, wanted to give the dealer a chance. Not sure if I have the gen 1 or 2 lift. What is the difference?

Gen I lift has the spacers below the strut and Gen II has the spacers on top. I'm wondering if there was a design flaw with the Gen I which caused them to come out with the re-design. I just got mine back from an independent alignment shop (that only does alignments) and was told that the Ackerman angle is way off and it was coming from the aftermarket spindles that Fabtech provided with the lift. I'm having them write up exactly what the problem is and going to see what Fabtech and Souther Comfort will do. I was told that it will never turn correctly unless the spindles are changed.

No idea if this comes from the Gen I lift design flaw or was a problem when manufactured. I'll keep you posted on what they say.

Glad to hear you are getting to the bottom of this Adam. I am still trying to get my schedule to work out with the alignment guy's so, no info to update on at the momont. I'm going to resend him this link and hope he reads it before I come in... At least your last post. If you can, please share the info from the "official" write up when you get it. My tires have almost 20k on them now and the outside edge is worn substantially. I'll post pics later.

Pics I took this morning... Hard to the wear on the inside of the tire as good as the outside but the outside is nearly wore down to what I would call the wear tread of the tire (i.e. if the whole tire were wore like this it would be time to begin pricing a new set).

Outside passenger

IMG 1054[1]

Inside passenger

IMG 1052[1]

Inside driver

IMG 1051[1]

Outside driver

IMG 1050[1]

I also took some pictures a few week back when I drove down an friends pollen covered driveway. I turned off the asphalt and pretty much went straight down his drive way, so for the most part, the pollen on the treads was an indicator of how the tire is riding when not turning. I took pics of the rear tires for reference, good eve pollen coverage on all treads, front tires, not so much!
Rear tire

IMG 0780[1]

Front tire

IMG 0783[1]

IMG 0785[1]

Edited by Justin Ballard

No spacer at the top, Looks like the Gen ! lift with aluminum suspension which is exactly what I have. I also have identical tire wear but more with only 12k mile. The outside tread of my front tires is almost completely shot.

From what i understand, the steering arms on the spindles dimensions are different between the left and right side. The mechanic measured the distance between the back of the rim and the point where the tie-rods meet the spindle and said that they are about 1/4" - 3/8" different. When turning, the outside wheel turns about 22 degrees and the inside tire turns 18 degrees. Completely opposite of what it is supposed to do and what I've been complaining about since I bought it. Apparently there is either a design flaw or manufacturing problem on the spindles. Either way, it's going to have to be fixed or i will be spending a ton of $$ on tires and other parts that wear prematurely. Not sure who's paying/doing the work but working on that now. I'm assuming they will also be buying me a new set of tires after everything is fixed. i'm supposed to hear back on Monday after Southern Comfort and the Fabtech manager talk.

For now, the truck is aligned with negative cam to try to get the tires to ride on the inside until we can get it fixed. From the pics and description of your post, we probably have a lift/kit with the same problem. Hopefully it will be recognized and corrected. I'll keep you posted

Edited by only1adam12