Aftermarket head unit. Post your pics.

• 5 years later...

A little refresh of the topic for people who are interested; I just finished my setup. My original touchscreen started acting up - the bottom ~1" would sometimes be unresponsive to touch and I was getting frustrated by the lack of AndroidAuto features.

My setup summarized:

• Ordered a double-DIN radio bezel
  • Had it cut on the waterjet for a larger screen
  • Filled up the side gaps due to bezel curvature with plastic weld putty
  • Sanded and repainted the bezel; paint I used turned out to be a little different from the cap but nevertheless I am OK with how it looks at the end
  • Used double-sided tape to secure an Android tablet in place and added a bracket for additional back support
  • Wired a USB charger from one of the circuits active with ignition
  • Sunk the CD player deeper to create space for the tablet
  • Tablet I used is a Samsung GalaxyTab A7 10.4" 2020 model with LTE

Summary of how I set everything up

• Tablet is on all the time, this circumvents the need to wait for bootup and also allows vehicle tracking via location sharing
  • When the key is turned, charging begins, tablet must be unlocked only once, and will remain unlocked while vehicle in use (Smart Lock feature)
  • The screen will stay on while vehicle is in use, that is, while charging works (Android option)
  • The tablet connects via Bluetooth so all steering wheel commands are operational
  • When the key is removed and the door is opened, major music apps stop, and since there's nothing keeping the system from locking, it locks after 15 seconds
  • If tablet ever gets fully discharged and it needs a hard power-on (via power button), or there is a major I can access the button through a tiny hole with a SIM card ejection tool and press the button

Some pictures:

P1040071.jpg

P1040073.jpg

P1040074.jpg

P1040079.jpg

P1040080.jpg

P1040081.jpg

P1040106.jpg

P1040107.jpg

P1040108.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

On 8/7/2021 at 4:40 PM, Vuk said:

A little refresh of the topic for people who are interested; I just finished my setup. My original touchscreen started acting up - the bottom ~1" would sometimes be unresponsive to touch and I was getting frustrated by the lack of AndroidAuto features.

My setup summarized:

• Ordered a double-DIN radio bezel
  • Had it cut on the waterjet for a larger screen
  • Filled up the side gaps due to bezel curvature with plastic weld putty
  • Sanded and repainted the bezel; paint I used turned out to be a little different from the cap but nevertheless I am OK with how it looks at the end
  • Used double-sided tape to secure an Android tablet in place and added a bracket for additional back support
  • Wired a USB charger from one of the circuits active with ignition
  • Sunk the CD player deeper to create space for the tablet
  • Tablet I used is a Samsung GalaxyTab A7 10.4" 2020 model with LTE

Summary of how I set everything up

• Tablet is on all the time, this circumvents the need to wait for bootup and also allows vehicle tracking via location sharing
  • When the key is turned, charging begins, tablet must be unlocked only once, and will remain unlocked while vehicle in use (Smart Lock feature)
  • The screen will stay on while vehicle is in use, that is, while charging works (Android option)
  • The tablet connects via Bluetooth so all steering wheel commands are operational
  • When the key is removed and the door is opened, major music apps stop, and since there's nothing keeping the system from locking, it locks after 15 seconds
  • If tablet ever gets fully discharged and it needs a hard power-on (via power button), or there is a major I can access the button through a tiny hole with a SIM card ejection tool and press the button

Some pictures:

P1040071.jpg

P1040073.jpg

P1040074.jpg

P1040079.jpg

P1040080.jpg

P1040081.jpg

P1040106.jpg

P1040107.jpg

P1040108.jpg

That's slick. Very creative. I'm curious on how the screen will hold up sitting in a vehicle forever. Are there any issues with removing the original screen? Did you just unplug the original and leave the connections behind the tablet? The only thing you would lose would be the radio i guess.

• 3 weeks later...

I've kept the original components in order to get the truck's cab microphone and steering wheel commands without alterations. I've drawn the original touchscreen cables into the locked glovebox in case I need to make any adjustments to vehicle settings (which I normally never touch), but I can connect the original touchscreen there quickly. You don't really lose the FM radio (except for tuning), because you can always say "tune to 95.5 FM" (I honestly only use FM for drive-in theaters and voice command for this works great).

Edited by Vuk
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 2017 Silverado WT and replaced the factory I03 radio with an Alpine I209-GM radio.  I replaced the steering wheel so that I had radio controls and installed a Denali display cluster at the same time.  The Alpine doesn't communicate with the Denali cluster, but it does communicate with the BCM.  I can display gauges and tire pressures on the Alpine display if I want.  I can also connect my phone for Navigation and IHeart Radio.  My backup camera connected to the Alpine and displays very clearly.  You can also purchase a video module to control multiple video inputs.  I recently purchased a camper and I'm going to install a camera on the back of the trailer and input the video on the Alpine.  It's been 2 years since I installed it and I have had no issues with it.

I didn't go with a "double din" radio because I didn't want to cut the dash in order to fit the radio.  I also don't like the way that the factory radios look.  In my opinion, the Alpine looks much better.

• 1 month later...

I first installed a Pioneer 4200NEX with the 7 inch screen but now I have the Pioneer DMH-WT8600NEX 10.1 Floating screen unit. I love the unit so far. It can connect wi-fi, BT, wired/wireless CarPlay. Single DIN chassis and it was very easy to install.

System consist:

Pioneer 8600NEX

PAC RP5-GM51 Interface

Kenwood KFC-XP6902C 6x9 separates for the front stage

JBL Club 6420 4x6 for the rear stage

Pioneer GM-D1004 brick amp mounted under the passenger seat 100wx4

Rockford Fosgate P300-8P 300w powered subwoofer

Small system, but sounds awesome

pioneer 8600.jpg

• Like 1