Fresh Sig P226 CA Compliant Version

I picked up a new Sig P226 from the impound today. It's a CA compliant version. So, CA requires a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect. Two novel features that have been around for nearly a century. If they hadn't been, CA legislators would never have come up with them.

But, back to the good stuff. The baseline CA compliant gun appears to have advanced features.

image_zpsjy8rdr3m.jpeg

First the grips are the new E2 grips with a slimmer profile and shorter reach to the trigger. I had actually bought the E2 grips and was going to install them before my wife used the gun.

image_zps9pt9qstv.jpeg

Second, the gun appears to have a SRT short reset trigger installed, which I also bought and was going to install.

And yeah, it has a CA compliant loaded chamber indicator

image_zpshw56jjao.jpeg

It also has the high contrast sights with painted white dots

image_zpspcvcvay6.jpeg

It has a steel (tubular) recoil spring guide.

image_zpspu4z7omj.jpeg

So, It is more than just the original base model. It has most of the higher trim model options.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it a 9 or .40? I do like the chamber indicator on my 229 and i have thr SigLite tritium sights. Not sure about the SRT

Chris

It's another 40 to go along with my P239 40 subcompact. My logic is to match caliber/ammo and have familiar guns in terms of how to get them into action. My preference is to have identical guns in multiple locations in the home. But we can't always have exactly what we want.

I have solid stainless recoil spring guides coming for both guns. The P239 subcompact came with a plastic guide rod when I bought it 5 years ago.

I bought the SRT kits for both guns as well as a basic parts kit for the 226, since it'll get more shooting thru it and I will have parts in case it goes down. The kit looks like all the springs and a roll pin and the grip screws.

image_zpscbovgiz0.jpeg

My P229 was sold as Massachusetts compliant. The seller swapped the restricted mags for normal ones but my loaded chamber indicator is just a cutout in the top of the barrel.

I was mistaken about my CA compliant base model having the Short Reset Trigger (SRT). I had ordered the parts online before the gun was out of impound. So, I installed them in the P226 and my old P239. The SRT is a much nicer single action trigger. It's not much difference on how much you have to let off the trigger after firing to allow the reset, but more about after the reset. You don't have the long take-up after the reset...you don't have to pull the trigger aft as far to fire.

image_zps8h6o6cbz.jpeg

image_zps691fcuty.jpeg

My P229 was sold as Massachusetts compliant. The seller swapped the restricted mags for normal ones but my loaded chamber indicator is just a cutout in the top of the barrel.

I'm good with the loaded chamber indicator, since this isn't a carry gun. In the dark, I can check the chamber for a round by feel and it isn't a snag issue for a home gun.

I'm still on the fence on a tac light and laser for it. One of the Streamlight TLR series is what I've been looking at. There've been a number ADs where innocent people were shot, allegedly due to inadvertent trigger pull when trying to activate/squeeze the front strap mounted switch for the light. Maybe avoid the strap mounted switch and opt for the light mounted switch, which requires two hands?

Archived