2016 Z71 needs engine swap @ 750 miles

I had my new Colorado Z71 for 2 weeks when I noticed it was leaving oil spots where ever I parked it. With only 750 miles on it, it went right back to the dealer for service. I was told the oil filter adapter plate was the source of the leak, part ordered, it will stay with the dealer. Two days later, I get the bad news, taking things apart to fix the truck, the guy in the shop realizes the block was not properly machined, the new parts will NOT correct the leaking oil issue. New replacement engine was ordered and will be installed. I'm not real happy about having my new truck disassembled and reassembled to this degree, to many fasteners to be under tightened, over tightened, it is very upsetting that I would have to go through this @ 750 miles. I argued with the dealer for a "truck exchange" as the title is clear, but got nowhere. Has anyone seen this before with the GM 6 cylinder? Could it be that my truck is the tip of a recall ice berg? Any ideas on trying to appeal to GM directly for a truck exchange?

It sucks that it has happened this way for you on a brand new vehicle. But this is what warranty is for & you are getting best possible option. I would not expect any issues with loose fasteners due to the engine change.

Yes they are a service NEW engine, so you shouldn't be getting a reman. I'd let them fix it, take the truck back and drive the doors off of it.

Very good on their part for catching the machining flaw.

Just got the call today, my truck is ready! I shoot down to Lester Glenn Chevy in Toms River NJ straight from work, spot my truck waiting to be back in my posession. I get the keys from the desk and walk on out with the sales rep. I'm going to look the truck over real good with the amount of things they had to take apart and put back together. First thing I notice is the gap between the fender and hood, nearly double on the driver side compared to the passenger side. I pop the hood and in less than a minute my suspicions about being able replicate the quality assembly line build with an engine swap in the field is not possible with this dealer.

First thing I see is the plastic housing covering the engineTB assembly was cracked across from the front edge screw access cut out all the way across to the air intake hose to the TB. They actually glued in back together maybe assuming i wouldn't notice? They were even missing a piece of plastic along with the crappy lumpy glue job.

Second, a 6" wide scratch down to bare metal with dents in the top center of the support that spans across the top of the radiator! I turned to the sales manager and sales man and asked if they dragged the oil pan of the new or old engine across the top radiator support to do this damage.

I would not accept the vehicle, told them this is damaged goods after the service department got done with it!

They assured me that they would bring these issues to the attention of the service manager. I said good maybe he will find the missing piece of the plastic cover so they can slap a little glue on and attach it.

This PISSED me off big time after being in the dealer shop for 23 days!

I got back on the phone with GM to continue campaigning for a truck exchange.

After seeing this kind of stuff from LESTER GLENN Chevy in NJ my concerns about replicating assembly line QUALITY in this service department is unattainable!

Just got the call today, my truck is ready! I shoot down to Lester Glenn Chevy in Toms River NJ straight from work, spot my truck waiting to be back in my posession. I get the keys from the desk and walk on out with the sales rep. I'm going to look the truck over real good with the amount of things they had to take apart and put back together. First thing I notice is the gap between the fender and hood, nearly double on the driver side compared to the passenger side. I pop the hood and in less than a minute my suspicions about being able replicate the quality assembly line build with an engine swap in the field is not possible with this dealer.

First thing I see is the plastic housing covering the engineTB assembly was cracked across from the front edge screw access cut out all the way across to the air intake hose to the TB. They actually glued in back together maybe assuming i wouldn't notice? They were even missing a piece of plastic along with the crappy lumpy glue job.

Second, a 6" wide scratch down to bare metal with dents in the top center of the support that spans across the top of the radiator! I turned to the sales manager and sales man and asked if they dragged the oil pan of the new or old engine across the top radiator support to do this damage.

I would not accept the vehicle, told them this is damaged goods after the service department got done with it!

They assured me that they would bring these issues to the attention of the service manager. I said good maybe he will find the missing piece of the plastic cover so they can slap a little glue on and attach it.

This PISSED me off big time after being in the dealer shop for 23 days!

I got back on the phone with GM to continue campaigning for a truck exchange.

After seeing this kind of stuff from LESTER GLENN Chevy in NJ my concerns about replicating assembly line QUALITY in this service department is unattainable!

Good luck to you as this is going to be an uphill battle for you though imo. No doubt i do not hold much hope in your dealer rectifying this issue for you to your satisfaction if they tried to pass that hack work off as a finished product. I would start by documenting the problems you see, take pictures and dates and create a file in case you need to get a lawyer involved here.

Finding things under the hood the very next day, like missing hold down screws in the replaced plastic cover over the engine. Finding wiring harness with their mount clips still on them, but they are not anchored to anything. They routed one of the wiring harness up against the rubber bellows for the steering shaft, as I rotate the steering wheel the bellows rotates and rubs against the wire! I wonder what will go first the outer jacket of the wire harness the or the rubber bellows! I'm hoping to run across another owner with "virgin" Colorado to park them side by side to see EXACTLY what they messed up putting the new engine in. It would also be nice if I could find exploded parts list to check for broken or missing parts. I'm taking pictures of everything I find, but I shouldn't have to second guessing the dealers "ASE" mechanic the service manager assured was qualified to pull off this engine swap!

Maybe take it to another dealer and see if their master tech can look it over and fix your concerns, sadly though most dealers only have a single competent mechanic on hand to actually do something more involved then part swapping or oil changes these days.

I think the first thing you should do is call the 800 gm number and demand a free gmpp ext warranty if they feel their craftsmanship is on par, they should not mind giving you a free warranty to give you a little piece of mind imo.

• 6 months later...

Wow that's so sad to hear man. I can't imagine what you're going through. I had something similar happen to me on a brand new 2007 Dodge Ram. It sucked! Long story short, I had electrical issues within 200 miles, they had to take the entire interior of my truck apart to find the issue. Really sucked. Hope they give you a new truck.

Archived