7000lb travel trailer with 2015 Suburban

Thanks for following up. I was all set to get diesel, and then, unfortunately I kept doing more research. I started seeing a common theme of $8000 fuel injector jobs. When I looked up GM's warranty, it said they specifically exclude fuel injectors and other related items from coverage. So after much more agonizing, I've now decided to go with gas. I know I'll be the one in the right lane watching the diesels blow by, but at least I know exactly what I'm dealing with on the 350 days a year I'm not towing. Plus, while my daily commute is 23 miles right now, there is the potential for that to get much shorter in the future, and from what I've read, the diesel won't like that. Thanks again to everyone who has offered me advice.

Thanks for following up. I was all set to get diesel, and then, unfortunately I kept doing more research. I started seeing a common theme of $8000 fuel injector jobs. When I looked up GM's warranty, it said they specifically exclude fuel injectors and other related items from coverage. So after much more agonizing, I've now decided to go with gas. I know I'll be the one in the right lane watching the diesels blow by, but at least I know exactly what I'm dealing with on the 350 days a year I'm not towing. Plus, while my daily commute is 23 miles right now, there is the potential for that to get much shorter in the future, and from what I've read, the diesel won't like that. Thanks again to everyone who has offered me advice.

They exclude fuel injectors from the warranty? Even during the first 3/36k?

It's hearsay but I've heard of several people getting fuel system/injectors fixed under warranty. Although, the root problem was probably the pump or something else and the injectors were collateral damage.

From GMC website:

Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

From GMC website:

Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming.

Wow.

The 2001 injectors got extra coverage due to all the issues they had with them. Surprised the newer models (which had far less issues) would be excluded.

Wow. I am assuming that it's common amongst brands for the diesel 3/4-1 ton trucks?

Scary. Yes, the overall number of problems is very low in comparison to the number of vehicles sold. However I can't imagine plunking down that kind of money and having a problem and then having to pay several thousand to fix it while still under factory warranty.

I did some research on my own, and I think you are misinterpreting the coverage.

There is a 3/36k bumper to bumper. There is also a 5/100k powertrain warranty. The way I read it, is the fuel system is not included as part of the extended powertrain warranty... but still covered under the 3/36k.

Additionally, when I looked up Dodge's warranty coverage, they state:

5.2 Federal Vehicle Emission Warranty - 6.7L Diesel Equipped Heavy Duty Truck

A. Parts Covered for 5 Years or 50,000 Miles

Diesel equipped heavy duty trucks are 2500 and 3500 models only.

Federal law requires DaimlerChrysler to warrant the following emissions parts for 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

• Air system controls;

• exhaust system (includes catalysts);
• electronic fuel injection system, including

injector;
• exhaustmanifold;
• exhaust gas recirculation valve and control

system (includes EGR cooler);

• exhaust pipes (between exhaust manifold and catalyst);

• fuel pump, fuel lines and fuel injectors;

• intakemanifold;

• on-board diagnostic-system components;

• oxygen sensors and oxygen control module;

• positivecrankcase-ventilation(PCV)valveororifice;

• powertrain control module;

• transmission-control module;

• turbocharger.

So I think we need to be careful in commenting on a lack of warranty on the fuel system... that simply is not the case.

GM states:

Defects and performance for heavy duty truck emission control systems including those found in 6.6L Duramax®Diesel Engines are covered for the first 5 years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Edited by jj46

Yes, everything is covered under the 36,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty. I was referring to the power train warranty. I'm assuming that, with my luck, this problem wouldn't pop up in the first 36,000 miles. And I don't think we need to be careful commenting on that which GMC explicitly states on their website under "Pro Grade Protection".

"Exclusions: Excluded from the powertrain coverage are sensors, wiring, connectors, engine radiator, coolant hoses, coolant, and heater core. Coverage on the engine cooling system begins at the inlet to the water pump and ends with the thermostat housing and/or outlet that attaches to the return hose. Also excluded is the starter motor, entire pressurized fuel system (in-tank fuel pump, pressure lines, fuel rail(s), regulator, injectors, and return line) as well as the Engine/Powertrain Control Module and/or module programming."

As stated above, the fuel system is covered under the 5 year/50k mile coverage, per federal law.

Not sure that the standard 5/100k would be any better for you? I drive 20k per year, but I realize the national average is less than that. Point being, you'll likely run out of miles before you run out of 5 years.

Edited by jj46

6.2 NHT 1/2 ton is the way to go!

6.0 power is terrible as is the fuel mileage, 2500's are great for towing but to not allow them the option of 6.2 is silly.

My last rig was Denali Yukon xl, worked well with auto ride self leveling and was the only way to get 6.2.

Now have 2017 6.2 max tow Sierra, headed to Fla in 3 wks.from NY

Trailer is #8000

post-82791-0-58026600-1477232432_thumb.jpg

• 4 years later...

I have the same situation. My Suburban 15 LT it has the tow package in it which increased our tow max from 6300 lbx to a max tow weight of 8300 lbs. We are in the process of purchasing a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight which is just 32' length with a dry weight of (including 2-30 lbs lp tanks)  just under 6200.  I am concerned that it won't pull it. "It's a Suburban they can do anything". LOL

I was also told that you don't travel with the water tanks full or your grey tank full which takes a lot of added weight out of the equation, which we didn't even think of that.  

Do you think I will be ok.  The dealership is hooking us up with the proper sway bars, braking and equalizers and are saying we should not have a problem. Can anyone give me piece of mind and let me know if I will be able to pull without blowing my motor or transmission? I can't buy both a truck and a trailer.  

1 hour ago, LMP said:

I have the same situation. My Suburban 15 LT it has the tow package in it which increased our tow max from 6300 lbx to a max tow weight of 8300 lbs. We are in the process of purchasing a 2019 Jayco Jay Flight which is just 32' length with a dry weight of (including 2-30 lbs lp tanks)  just under 6200.  I am concerned that it won't pull it. "It's a Suburban they can do anything". LOL

I was also told that you don't travel with the water tanks full or your grey tank full which takes a lot of added weight out of the equation, which we didn't even think of that.  

Do you think I will be ok.  The dealership is hooking us up with the proper sway bars, braking and equalizers and are saying we should not have a problem. Can anyone give me piece of mind and let me know if I will be able to pull without blowing my motor or transmission? I can't buy both a truck and a trailer.  

It will pull it and you'll know it's there behind you.  Be mindful about how much stuff the Missus brings aboard!  Change your fluids frequently, like every 36K and maybe even right after a heavy tow session if the temps got up above 220.  It's cheap insurance.  

Thanks for your reply. I am the missus lol. Everything I have researched doesn't look good. Just afraid dealership wants the sale of the trailer and telling us well be fine to make sure sale happens then I break down, now 2 vehicles need to be towed.

We'll find out next week when we pick it up.  And yes I'm a light packer.

Thanks again.

• Haha 1