WT trim with Color DIC, Steering Wheel Controls, IO5 Stereo retrofit.

7 minutes ago, Feliks said:

Ok, so I would need the custom programmed, color gauge cluster and a new steering wheel.  Will my IOB 7" radio work or would I have to also upgrade that to an IO5 or IO6?

Thanks!

I was told the controls would not work with my IOB radio and  you also need to change the clockspring in the steering wheel.  

3 minutes ago, Feliks said:

Well if that's the case, may be getting out of my price range

Yeah I couldn't justify a nearly $2k expenditure just to get steering wheel controls!

3 minutes ago, Feliks said:

yep, that's the number I was thinking too.  probably save GM $5 to leave out steering controls, which I consider a must have safety feature, these days

A standard feature on even the cheapest Kia but they can't put it in a $30k+ truck and then make it nearly impossible to add on?! ?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Question for guys that added the heated steering.

Where did you run the positive wire? Got that installed and just have to wire it, already tested and works. So now want to tap it to somewhere that power shuts off with truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• 3 weeks later...

So I wired the positive for the heated steering wheel the cigarette lighters(as I don’t use them).

Works but back lighting for the buttons or light indicating the heat is on doesn’t light up. Heat works perfect however.

Anyone know why there’s no lighting?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys, just got a new 2018 Custom that came with the IOB radio and basic steering wheel (bah!).  Read the whole thread a couple times and didn't see the exact question I have. Sorry if I missed it.

In order to have radio controls at the wheel, would I still need a new cluster and custom programming with an upgraded steering wheel and an aftermarket radio?? I've seen answers for the IO5 upgrade, but I didn't see anything with an aftermarket.

Thanks.

On 1/19/2018 at 3:42 PM, mikevickers10 said:

So I wired the positive for the heated steering wheel the cigarette lighters(as I don’t use them).

Works but back lighting for the buttons or light indicating the heat is on doesn’t light up. Heat works perfect however.

Anyone know why there’s no lighting?

Mike,

If I remember right the lights on the steering wheel are controlled as part of the controls circuit. Did you have radio controls on your old wheel? I want to say that the lights didn't work until I did the cluster swap and controls wiring but I've slept too many times since then.

16 hours ago, moonmaan said:

Hi guys, just got a new 2018 Custom that came with the IOB radio and basic steering wheel (bah!).  Read the whole thread a couple times and didn't see the exact question I have. Sorry if I missed it.

In order to have radio controls at the wheel, would I still need a new cluster and custom programming with an upgraded steering wheel and an aftermarket radio?? I've seen answers for the IO5 upgrade, but I didn't see anything with an aftermarket.

Thanks.

I haven't seen any diagrams for the IOB setup, but if there was never a steering wheel controls option released in tandem with that radio it's a safe bet it won't work. It seems like in the past that any radio they worked with came with the controls. The IO3 never had a control option.

35 minutes ago, Harlech said:

I haven't seen any diagrams for the IOB setup, but if there was never a steering wheel controls option released in tandem with that radio it's a safe bet it won't work. It seems like in the past that any radio they worked with came with the controls. The IO3 never had a control option.

Hmmm, ok. Thanks for the response. With all my googling and searching, I kept getting an adapter from PAC that showed up when searching for IOB steering wheel controls. Looks like this adapter is specifically for the IOB (and IOA) radio builds, which was giving me hope.

https://pac-audio.com/catalog/radio-replacement/rp5-gm52-har?search_query=rp5-gm51&results=4

I'm getting keyless entry added by the dealership on Friday. While I'm there, I'll venture off to the service department and see if they know anything. Not holding my breath.

Mike,

If I remember right the lights on the steering wheel are controlled as part of the controls circuit. Did you have radio controls on your old wheel? I want to say that the lights didn't work until I did the cluster swap and controls wiring but I've slept too many times since then.

That makes sense, I kinda thought that could be the problem. Cluster is my next mod now. Thanks for the heads up!

17 hours ago, moonmaan said:

Thanks.

I asked a similar question but wasn't able to have it answered here so I researched elsewhere and found you just need to replace the steering wheel along with the clock spring to control an aftermarket headunit using the steering wheel control adapter as the signal is picked up at the clockspring unlike with the factory radio. If you get the idatalink Maestro as well you will also be able to maintain "most" of the other functions in the factory radio as long as the headunit you choose supports idatalink however I haven't had a chance to install mine yet so i don't know what those functions are.

Edited by Marv88
Added info