WT trim with Color DIC, Steering Wheel Controls, IO5 Stereo retrofit.

fwiw-my clock spring wire colors were same as yours. Pin 2 was green/black. So like you that's where I tapped. UPS shows the cluster out for delivery so we'll find out tonite. All of the wiring is done and everything is back in place except for the nice new cluster.

drum roll please..................................IT WORKS:cheers::cheers: I feel like that commercial...so simple a caveman could do it. I mean if I can do it without a hiccup.... hell...anyone can do it. The wiring took about 3 hours but a lot of that was going over and over the wiring to be sure I had it right before I put it all back together. Everything works just like it should. It did take the TPMS about halfway down the drive to calibrate before it came up. And I can't get Trip A screen to come up. Trip B comes up but that may just be a setting I need to play with since I also have a blank info screen. A kinda pisser is the truck had an XM subscription when I bought it. I don't use it but it was kinda nice to have. That's gone but that could be due to sitting all day with the battery disconnected. OH well.....XM sucks anyway. Nothing like it once was.

Anyway...thanks to WAMS programming, NitroDatsik's wires and Harlech's instructions it went perfectly. At this point total cost is about $680.00. That's a new non-heated wheel, Z71 cluster, programming, wires, and the related shipping from my end. Add in the reverse camera and I'm into the upgrades for about $855. I'm happy with the IO4 radio so that should just about do it for me. Thanks to EVERYONE for everything!!!:thumbs::cheers::thumbs:

eta: read the manual (who does that:P) and got the Trip A up instead of B. Also got my engine hours screen that unfortunately didn't carry over with programming so I start at 0.0 hours. Cleared the blank screen. 

Edited by richamor
  • Like 3

fwiw-my clock spring wire colors were same as yours. Pin 2 was green/black. So like you that's where I tapped. UPS shows the cluster out for delivery so we'll find out tonite. All of the wiring is done and everything is back in place except for the nice new cluster.

drum roll please..................................IT WORKS:cheers::cheers: I feel like that commercial...so simple a caveman could do it. I mean if I can do it without a hiccup.... hell...anyone can do it. The wiring took about 3 hours but a lot of that was going over and over the wiring to be sure I had it right before I put it all back together. Everything works just like it should. It did take the TPMS about halfway down the drive to calibrate before it came up. And I can't get Trip A screen to come up. Trip B comes up but that may just be a setting I need to play with since I also have a blank info screen. A kinda pisser is the truck had an XM subscription when I bought it. I don't use it but it was kinda nice to have. That's gone but that could be due to sitting all day with the battery disconnected. OH well.....XM sucks anyway. Nothing like it once was.

Anyway...thanks to WAMS programming, NitroDatsik's wires and Harlech's instructions it went perfectly. At this point total cost is about $680.00. That's a new non-heated wheel, Z71 cluster, programming, wires, and the related shipping from my end. Add in the reverse camera and I'm into the upgrades for about $855. I'm happy with the IO4 radio so that should just about do it for me. Thanks to EVERYONE for everything!!!:thumbs::cheers::thumbs:

eta: read the manual (who does that[emoji14]) and got the Trip A up instead of B. Also got my engine hours screen that unfortunately didn't carry over with programming so I start at 0.0 hours. Cleared the blank screen. 

You're making me want to put the reprogramming on the credit card lol.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

what's that saying?????  It's only money, I have full confidence in your ability to make more.:thumbs:

And well worth the effort and cost. I really missed the steering wheel controls and agree that these should be standard equipment on any vehicle. The color DIC is nicer to look at too and easier to scroll between screens.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so I have read through this a couple of times and I am still confused a little bit. 

So I have a 2015 WT IO3 and have added the alpine x110slv and a new steering wheel with controls and just got the Denali cluster. Yes the cluster was programmed by WAMS. So the cluster works but I can’t control it. Does anyone know if I can just run that one wire from the clock spring harness to the cluster to at least be able to control the cluster? I know controlling the radio might be more involved being an IO3.

thanks in advance everyone.

Is possible, but I believe the cluster communicates to the radio and from there to the hmi module so I think but not certain that you will have to upgrade those things too. You can try and let us know and that would be great for alot of people

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

If your steering wheel controls work on the Alpine I would guess the one wire from the clockspring to the cluster is all you lack. Adding that would take maybe 30 minutes. I did mine without removing the steering wheel. 

The possibilities are that a.) it doesn't work at all b.) it works exactly as it should and you have 100% controls and display info. or c.) you have display control but limited audio info on the display. And my guess would be c.

I'd go for it anyway. Like Nitro said.....it would be a lot of help for everyone. Let us know.

btw:  How do you like that Alpine? It looks huuuuge in the pics.  

14 minutes ago, richamor said:

If your steering wheel controls work on the Alpine I would guess the one wire from the clockspring to the cluster is all you lack. Adding that would take maybe 30 minutes. I did mine without removing the steering wheel. 

The possibilities are that a.) it doesn't work at all b.) it works exactly as it should and you have 100% controls and display info. or c.) you have display control but limited audio info on the display. And my guess would be c.

I'd go for it anyway. Like Nitro said.....it would be a lot of help for everyone. Let us know.

btw:  How do you like that Alpine? It looks huuuuge in the pics.  

I have zero steering wheel control of the alpine right now but I do love that thing. Has anyone sourced the pin connectors for the back of the cluster locally? If i am remembering correctly some one posted part numbers earlier on in the thread right?

The Alpine says it retains the steering wheel controls.....right? Do you still have the factory stereo module in place?

If that's the case then I'd go for the full wiring. Add the 5 at the module and the one at the clockspring. Either it works or it doesn't. At this point with your investment in the Alpine and cluster it seems a no brainer just to try it. 

I think  I still have some extra wires to do the mod with the connectors already fitted. If you want to try it I can send those to you. Let me know if you want them and I'll look to be sure so don't thank me just yet:D

10 hours ago, richamor said:

The Alpine says it retains the steering wheel controls.....right? Do you still have the factory stereo module in place?

If that's the case then I'd go for the full wiring. Add the 5 at the module and the one at the clockspring. Either it works or it doesn't. At this point with your investment in the Alpine and cluster it seems a no brainer just to try it. 

I think  I still have some extra wires to do the mod with the connectors already fitted. If you want to try it I can send those to you. Let me know if you want them and I'll look to be sure so don't thank me just yet:D

Yes the alpine should retain them but I never had them to begin with. I don’t think I left any modules in when I did the radio. I’m hoping the alpine has its own HMI of sorts.

so the alpine taps into the clock spring wiring to get steering wheel inputs. So I am crossing my fingers that I only have to run the one wire to the cluster.

and yes of course I will take some connectors if you have them since amazon doesn’t even have any! Tell me the appropriate amount of beer money to send in exchange in a pm and I’ll send you my address if you find them.

3 minutes ago, mloco575 said:

Yes the alpine should retain them but I never had them to begin with. I don’t think I left any modules in when I did the radio. I’m hoping the alpine has its own HMI of sorts.

so the alpine taps into the clock spring wiring to get steering wheel inputs. So I am crossing my fingers that I only have to run the one wire to the cluster.

and yes of course I will take some connectors if you have them since amazon doesn’t even have any! Tell me the appropriate amount of beer money to send in exchange in a pm and I’ll send you my address if you find them.

I called Alpine before buying my Restyle kit and they told me since the Maestro connected right to the clockspring I could just add the steering wheel/correct clockspring but unfortunately the controls did not work. I then called idatalink tech support and was told the steering wheel controls would not work unless your truck originally came with/is programmed for steering wheel controls due to the way the way the oem setup communicates. I also referenced  the info in this thread regarding swapping the cluster/adding the wires etc and he said they could not guarantee they would work even after doing all that. :sigh:

Drum roll please....

running the one wire from the clock spring harness to the cluster plug made everything work for my setup!

I now can control my entire cluster and my steering wheel controls work for the alpine!

much thanks to Harlech because I would have given up if I had not found this thread!

• Like 2

• 3 months later...

Ok all here I go again.  I;'m going to figure this out hopefully with someones help.  I have an '18 WT Edition missing the steering wheel controls for the radio and phone.  I scanned my RPO codes it says I have an IOB.  I thought this one was the small mono color screen.  However I have a 7" color screen with AA and Apple Car play I do not have Nav .  My questions are.

Do I need to change the screen

I need to use the Denali Cluster from a 2018 and have it programmed

Purchase a Steering Wheel with the buttons

Do I need to upgrade the HMI to 2.5 not sure whats in there now assuming it 2.0

Tell WMA I wish to have all features when I have the cluster reprogrammed in case of later mods like HUD

Could some one please confirm my list my major disappointment in my truck.  I live in my truck its my office I intend other mods but not till i get my steering wheel controls working.

Thanks in Advance

23 minutes ago, David Stevens said:

Ok all here I go again.  I;'m going to figure this out hopefully with someones help.  I have an '18 WT Edition missing the steering wheel controls for the radio and phone.  I scanned my RPO codes it says I have an IOB.  I thought this one was the small mono color screen.  However I have a 7" color screen with AA and Apple Car play I do not have Nav .  My questions are.

Do I need to change the screen

I need to use the Denali Cluster from a 2018 and have it programmed

Purchase a Steering Wheel with the buttons

Do I need to upgrade the HMI to 2.5 not sure whats in there now assuming it 2.0

Tell WMA I wish to have all features when I have the cluster reprogrammed in case of later mods like HUD

Could some one please confirm my list my major disappointment in my truck.  I live in my truck its my office I intend other mods but not till i get my steering wheel controls working.

Thanks in Advance

Iob radios dont have an hmi if i remember right. Dont quote me on this but i dont think theres anything you can do.  You can get nav and backup cam though. From MVI