2014 4wd recall issues

So I have a 2014 LT Z71 Crew cab with 72,000+ miles. Been a great truck for me so far. Until 2 days ago I had to use my 4wd for the lovely snow storm that hit the Midwest that's brought subzero temps along with it. I'm sure you have all read and /or experienced the issue with the 4wd drive STAYING in 4wd even after trying to click it back into 2wd. Well this has happened to me. Thanks to this forum I was able to determine that it's a known issue. Also my dad has a 2015 model and he received a bulletin to bring the truck in to be serviced. I myself have never received a bulletin, email, phone call, knock at the door, nothing...letting me know that my truck is affected by this recall. So now that I am experiencing the issue, I called my local dealership to schedule the service. They tell me that it won't be covered since my truck is past the 36,000 mile trim warranty. Is there a way to fight this with GM? I don't understand how a known issue with 2 year models of trucks can have an expiration date. If anyone has any of their own input to add from experience please comment. I'd like to know if there is anyway to avoid paying for this out of pocket. Thank you in advance

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

pretty sure this falls under powertrain and you should be covered. am i wrong?

I'm not exactly sure. Is there an expiration on the powertrain warranty? Like I said the dealership said that past 36,000 it isn't covered and I'm at 72,000. But it's a recall...how can a recall expire?

This shouldn't even affect any warranty, It was a recall. Did you tell the dealer that you want a recall repair done? or do they think you need a warranty repair?

my 4wd "problem" was repaired when I took it in for the 1st oil change. I was not notified about it ahead of time either. I'm pretty sure it was just a software upgrade, no actual work required.

If it's a recall then warranty doesn't matter. They can easily look up any recall using your VIN. Or you could go to the my chevy site (my.chevrolet.com I believe) and it will show you if you have any recalls. Again you'll have to put in your VIN.

This shouldn't even affect any warranty, It was a recall. Did you tell the dealer that you want a recall repair done? or do they think you need a warranty repair?

my 4wd "problem" was repaired when I took it in for the 1st oil change. I was not notified about it ahead of time either. I'm pretty sure it was just a software upgrade, no actual work required.

Yes I did inform them of it being a recall. But they say that since it's past the trim warranty of 36,000 miles, it won't be covered. My truck has been to the dealership twice since I bought it brand new. I've always done my own oil changes religiously. To me it sounds silly that if GM has put out a recall for an issue that's been pretty widely known, how can they put an expiration date on it? No matter, the issue needs to be fixed. I can't drive around in 4wd permanently. So I will be taking my truck to them tomorrow morning regardless. But they told me that there will be a diagnostic fee of $130. Any repairs that need to be made, that fee would be applied to the cost of the repairs. But again my question is has anyone experienced this 4wd issue when past the trim warranty and had to pay out of pocket for repairs? And if so, were you able to be reimbursed when they found out the issue did in fact pertain to the original recall? That's what seems to be the issue I think. They want to verify that the problem I'm having is or is not related to the recall because it's past the 36,000 mile mark.

If it's a recall then warranty doesn't matter. They can easily look up any recall using your VIN. Or you could go to the my chevy site (my.chevrolet.com I believe) and it will show you if you have any recalls. Again you'll have to put in your VIN.

When I gave them my VIN, the told me that there's 3 open recalls. 1 for the seat belt, 1 for the airbag, and 1 for the 4wd. So I set my appointment for tomorrow morning and I thought everything was fine. They called me back a half hour later to verify my mileage and after telling them I'm at 72,000 miles, they said they wouldn't be performing the work on the 4wd since it's past the trim warranty of 36,000 miles.

When I gave them my VIN, the told me that there's 3 open recalls. 1 for the seat belt, 1 for the airbag, and 1 for the 4wd. So I set my appointment for tomorrow morning and I thought everything was fine. They called me back a half hour later to verify my mileage and after telling them I'm at 72,000 miles, they said they wouldn't be performing the work on the 4wd since it's past the trim warranty of 36,000 miles.

Again since a recall has nothing to do with warranty then it also doesn't matter how many miles is on the vehicle. Maybe you should try a different dealer.

Again since a recall has nothing to do with warranty then it also doesn't matter how many miles is on the vehicle. Maybe you should try a different dealer.

So I called a different dealership and they informed me that it's not an actual recall. It's a repair bulletin and that if it's taken care of before the 36,000 miles are up, it wouldn't cost me anything. So it sounds like I'm gonna be paying out of pocket for this issue [emoji20]

I would contact GM customer care and get them involved. As said, that was a safety recall and those are covered even if the warranty is expired or not.

You need to find a new dealer. This was a Safety issued recall, and needs to be performed on ALL vehicles, no matter what mileage. That dealership is terrible.

A different dealership said it's not a safety recall but a maintenence bulletin. Which sux bc it's not my fault that just because I have 72,000 miles and now I'm not qualified to free repairs on a known issue

A different dealership said it's not a safety recall but a maintenence bulletin. Which sux bc it's not my fault that just because I have 72,000 miles and now I'm not qualified to free repairs on a known issue

Like someone else said, you should contact GM customer care. That is BS.

total BS. I can't believe they won't fix it because of your mileage. They never notified you to bring it in earlier so how would you know? Sounds like the people you are talking to on the phone don't know what they are doing. call tomorrow and talk to the service department manager.

Like i said, i never got any notification from GM either, they just told me about it when i got an oil change. If i would have changed my own oil, according to your idiot dealership, then i wouldn't get the fix either?

Archived