Load Leveler Installation with MagneRide

dsddcd

I recently installed a set of RideTech load levelers on my 2016 Denali 1500 when I did it I removed the leveling blocks so that I could let the truck ride on 15-20 PSI at all times ensuring that I always had air in them. Since doing so the truck seems to ride quite a bit rougher which is contrary to what I expected. My only thought was that when I removed the rear block I had to relocate the position of the lower sensor bracket. Essentially the truck is at stock ride height so the sensor is extended approximately 1.5".

So the question is, did the air bags decrease the ride quality or was it the relocation of the ride sensors?

So the question is, did the air bags decrease the ride quality or was it the relocation of the ride sensors?

Both. You really need to get the sensor back to level at stock ride height or the whole system isn't working properly so your shock damping will be all screwy.

Once you do that, 15-20 psi in the bags certainly will firm up the ride, especially noticeable over large bumps, but it should be "firm but good." That may be more than you want unless you tow/haul heavy a lot and simply want the most solid ride (3/4-ton like). Hitching to a heavy trailer will add 30-40 psi in the bags (keeping the same ride height), depending upon your exact tongue weight, which is usually about the right amount to deal with the weight you added well, even if you start out at a lower pressure.

It's not hard to experiment around with different sized blocks and pressures to find the combo you like. You may also consider removing your overload springs since they are now non-functional except when you hit really big bumps or are trying to articulate offroad.

Thank you for the input Jon A!

I have been doing some research particularly with a company call DSC Sport and they offer a programmable controller which I first found on my P cars and now they have ventured out and offer for my other cars! Long story they do use acceleration tables for the wheel sensor but not a static position that I am aware of. I am going to do some testing with sensor position, pressures, blocks.... and maybe if I am lucky DSC might be interested in getting into the trucks.

• 5 months later...

Well, I finally got around to making new rods for the rear that were lengthened by roughly 1.5" and the shocks went from under-damped to just slightly over-damped. So the static position of sensors does indeed have a large impact on the dampening.

I also tried 18's on the truck and it actually got worse since the rear was under-damped to start with. In order to get the ride back to the 20's I had to increase the tire pressure.

When pulling a trailer I had to change the bag pressure from the 20PSIG at factory ride height, 35PSIG for a 6K load on an aluminum enclosed trailer and 80PSIG for roughly a 8K steel trailer. The bags make leveling the load quite easy and don't use the load levelers any longer.

DSC never returned my calls or messages so I don't anticipate that they are interested in this market though I think it could be quite profitable to make a system with smoother ride, more performance oriented.....

The next step is to try different tire pressures and wheel position sensor pushrod lengths to fine tune. Wish I had access to the suspension module!

If I get time this summer I am interested in removing the overload springs to try that.

Quick update, I have been changing the bag pressure to raise and lower the rear. There is a HUGE difference in the 2" range I have adjusted it. Lowered to the point the truck is leveled the ride is worse than my racecar, very harsh. Raised to .5" over stock ride height it is plush and comfortable. In am going to modify the push rod length in order to tuner it further and try different setting with my trailer attached also.

• 7 months later...

Any more update dsddcd?  I’ve been thinking of adding helper bags to my 2016 Denali 1500. I always the magneride especially when towing my car hauler. 

I have been reading about sulastic shackle replacement kit with an option to lower the back by about 1.5". Many promising reviews..Not the cheapest, option kit with lowering option would be around $469.
Here is a link...have any read anything positive or negative?

http://www.sulastic.com/truck-shackle-suspension-sa-04

..lowering kit is on a separate link.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, I did not get any notifications from the Forum there were replys.  

I did make new rods from the leafs to the suspension position sensors using all thread that I cut to 1.5" shorter than the OEM and installed them on the truck.   The OEM rubber heads on the ends of the links will pull off and the all-thread screwed in.   The truck rides much better now with the bags at 25PSI which is stock ride height.  If you wanted to lower the truck you would need to remove additional length from the rods to accommodate.    I am hoping a company like DSC Sport will make an aftermarket controller that will allow for further smoothing out of the suspension but I have not heard anything back from them on the topic.

Archived