2017 Duramax 837 miles and broken down at the dealer

I can assure you that if this is the case this will be my first and last GM product that I ever buy. I am simply disgusted in this entire process!

It's the norm in the auto industry now a days. It's all about saving money vs losing 1 pissed off customer to another brand.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I spoke to the dealer earlier today and they tell me my truck is repaired. I will be able to pick up the truck Monday morning after they get the new Warranty paperwork sorted out. They have offered me a 6 year 150,000 power train Warranty in compensation for the recent failure. I am hopefully that the repairs are thorough and complete, without further issue. I will reply after I pick up the truck.

Nick - Keep us posted!! I take delivery of my 2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Monday. Gotta say you have me worried. I have had zero issues with my 2015 GMC 3500 Duramax and my 2008 GMC 2500 HD Duramax. I looked at mine at the dealership on Thursday. Geez the DEF tank is humongous!!

Nick - Keep us posted!! I take delivery of my 2017 GMC 3500 Duramax Monday. Gotta say you have me worried. I have had zero issues with my 2015 GMC 3500 Duramax and my 2008 GMC 2500 HD Duramax. I looked at mine at the dealership on Thursday. Geez the DEF tank is humongous!!

Ya, I can't believe how big and ugly the DEF tank is... You can't tell me there was no where else to put that.... I am hoping the power steps I get may hide it some.... Maybe the XL power steps...

Shagmax- I had to return a set of AMP Power Boards because the DEF tank was in the way. AMP is now trying to redesign the board. No date available for new design..... Good luck!! My truck accessory guy does not have a fix other than solid boards or tubes.

The dealer is installing a set of factory running boards while it is in their shop this morning. I'm super curious to see how much of the DEF tank they hide, I'll post pictures this afternoon once I get the truck back.

The dealer is installing a set of factory running boards while it is in their shop this morning. I'm super curious to see how much of the DEF tank they hide, I'll post pictures this afternoon once I get the truck back.

Wow, I just read through this thread... Sorry to hear you're going through all of that.

I just picked up a 2017 High Country Duramax on Saturday. It has factory running boards on it, but you can still see that big ugly tank under it.

So the truck runs good, no complaints there. I put a bit over 300 miles on the truck yesterday without a hiccup so I'm hopeful that everything will be fine as far as the engine goes. The only two things I have noticed and this may be me being super critical is a slight vibration in the gas pedal at 1,200 rpms while under a load ( there is zero vibration below 1,200 and it's gone at 1,500rpm) and a very slight whistle from the turbo at highway speed. I honestly haven't had the truck in so much time that I can't remember if it was like this.

As far as the dealer goes, they are taking the truck back on Friday to repaint my front bumper that they damaged while making these repairs. Upon picking up the truck there was grease on the drivers seat, grease on the fenders and hood and 4 serious scratches in the painted bumper, one through the paint into the plastic below the grill. Not exactly happy with the lack of professionalism they repaired the truck with. It bothers me more that I had to bring these issues up, like I wouldn't notice?? They also damaged the plastic cover under the hood which is unacceptable given it was 2 weeks old when they got it.

post-167443-0-52456600-1485956705_thumb.jpg

post-167443-0-83044200-1485956705_thumb.jpg

Wow that sucks. I can relate to the plastic cover under the hood. My 15 I traded in the water pump went out at 7k miles and when the dealer replaced It that plastic piece looked like the had used as the shops workbench for the day. How hard is it to throw down a drop cloth or something before you work on it. It's hard nowadays to find places that take pride in what they do. I hope they get you taken care of.

I'd bring it up to the Service Manager and if he/she doesn't care, then it's time to go to the Dealer GM. And work your way up. That kind of stuff is unacceptable.

After reading your bad luck with you new truck a couple of things come to mind.

1. I would request the dealer to give you life time oil and filter changes and the oil changes will be at your mileage intervals not theirs.

2. Because of the concern of contaminants getting into the engine oil system, request that the dealer send oil samples to an outside test lab for oil analysis after each oil change and have the lab send the findings directly to you.

Just a couple of things I would want, good luck

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a 2017 Dmax 2500HD Denali also but I have had way more issues including the picture in my profile was the very first day I bought it. It is a very long story but to make it short, the truck died in the middle of an intersection 400 mile from my home the day I bought it. At 9pm I was on the phone with GM road side assistance for over 2 hours. They were trying to find a tow truck for me in the middle of Anaheim CA. They kept coming back on the phone every 15 minutes saying they can't find one and the soonest one can tow me is 3 hours. I called BS on that one. I ended up hanging up on them and calling my own. They were there in 15 minutes and $150 later. The dealership said the factory routed the wiring harness on the wrong side of the motor mount and it cut the ignition wires. Their fix? Cut the wires and reroute them and use crimped wire splices.

Issue 2, 3 days later I went to get in my truck and it was full of water (big rain storm). Took it to the dealership and they found the vents to the cab were not sealed at the factory. They replaced the carpeting, cab insulation and sealed the rear vents (there were more details but I am trying to shorten this up). This took 2 weeks. I asked them to look at the fix the other dealership did and they said they did not have time. I told them I wanted the harness to be replaced from end to end just like factory. They said that won't happen.

Truck had 2 dents and they installed the seat belt for the seat on the back of the seat. I had to take it in again to get the dents fixed and so they can put the seat belt where it belongs so I can take my kids to their sports.

Issue 3, check engine light came on. TAC opened a case on it, Reductant Injector Temp. Reset the code and see if it happens again.

Issue 4, Regen's daily. Once or twice a day. Dealership said it normal. BS

I own a 2009 Duramax, traded in a 2015 Duramax Denali, I know how these trucks are supposed to perform. BTW, NEVER an issue with my other trucks. 09 has 187,000 miles on it, never an issue.

The GM district manager called me and let me know that they will not take the truck back but, he would give me an extended warrantee on the truck. I told him I drove it for 10 out of 38 days that I owned it and it's still not right. I contacted an attorney who is going to see what he can do.

Meanwhile, I was talking to a friend yesterday who is looking for the same truck. He found one the is "In Transit" from the factory. The dealership told him that he better get it while he can because they are going to stop making them for awhile then start up again in a couple months. I told him that it sounded like a sales pitch. He called another dealership and they told him the same thing. I have no idea if it is true or not, but interesting nevertheless.

Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Archived