6.2 with afe intake = 36hp!

Cam is the same apparently. Intake, exhaust, tune are the only differences between LT1 and L86.

Right. But it's not going to suck in more air than it's capably of using just because the air is there. Obviously a 1" intake tube wouldn't flow nearly enough air. Conversely, if "more air" was always the answer, all manufacturers would have a giant 3 foot diameter orifice at the front of all of their intakes, with a screen on the front to keep out birds. And those BS K+N demos claiming "3x more air flow!" would have really yeilded their advertised +30 hp on every single car ever made instead of jack squat. Typically, CAI's without a tune make minimal hp gains. This has been proven time and time again with various dyno tests over the years. Throw a tune on and they typically add a handful of hp. Apparently one out of this bunch was able to add 25 hp without a tune. That is certainly not typical. I missed the point about the vacuum mentioned earlier so I'll have to go see if a logical explanation was included.

Some vehicles have more efficient intake paths than others. Believe me, if the vehicle manufactures could get away with large air intakes and still meet the NVH requirements they would if they knew the vehicle owners would take care of the vehicle. At the end of the day the manufactures have to design a system that will be abused by owners who wont change filters and so on.

Also if air restriction didn't make any difference then as said, you would see no change going from a 2" tube to a 3" tube, but it does. The engine only has so many seconds (milliseconds) to try and pull in as much air into the combustion chamber as it can, the more restrictive the intake path is the higher the MAP pressure reading is going to be. Free up the intake restriction and the MAP pressure reading will drop, that has been shown on the test.

And the whole thing you said about "historically" test have shown CAI doesn't do a thing is false as well. I have done my own CAI dyno test, all in 1 day on my 2008 Corvette and found the same data that Justin did, while the gains were not 20+ rwhp, I still gained around 14rwhp with no tuning and none really needed. As said on modern GM engines the fueling is controlled by the MAF sensor, it can handle more light mods easily and can adjust the fueling to stay where the engine needs to be at.

I have logged IAT temps on the truck after I put my Airaid system on it, they were no worse than the stock system since the Airaid seals to the hood liner and draws from the same fender opening and also from a spot under the front head light. I have also watched MAP pressure as well, and just like a member on the Audi forum stated on his test, MAP pressure readings dropped after modding the OEM airbox and boost pressure went up with nothing else changing.

If you think a CAI wont make a difference, find two trucks in 4wd with the same engine and transmission only one of them can have the AFE or Airaid CAI kit. Put them in 4wd and record the 0-60 and the 1/4 mile times. A 20rwhp gain is around a 7% increase in HP, I am pretty sure all things considered the truck with the CAI will be faster in the acceleration tests and as said get better gas mileage as well.

My 6.2l truck knocks down almost 22mpg on the highway as long as I stay under 70mph. That's pretty solid for a 5500lb truck that has the aerodynamics of a flying brick.

Edited by TJay74
  • Like 1

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1509-the-800hp-2014-chevy-silverado-1500-mallet-super10/

That is a link to a cool 800hp retro looking Silverado. It has beefed rods and stroker crank, blower, cam.... It makes 800 hp. It would have made 836hp but they decided to use the stock intake box. They thought the extra horsepower was too much and may have increased gas mileage at the same time, so they left the stock intake box instead of switching out to an afe box.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/2017-yenko-sc-camaro-gets-800-horsepower/

Here is a link to a bad ass 800hp Camaro. I can't believe Yenko, who has been making high performance cars since the 60's wasn't smart enough to not only use an aftermarket cai, they used a completely stock intake box and tubing. They too must not realize the benefits of an aftermarket cai.

Edited by SILVER SLED
  • Like 1

http://www.trucktrend.com/cool-trucks/1509-the-800hp-2014-chevy-silverado-1500-mallet-super10/

That is a link to a cool 800hp retro looking Silverado. It has beefed rods and stroker crank, blower, cam.... It makes 800 hp. It would have made 836hp but they decided to use the stock intake box. They thought the extra horsepower was too much and may have increased gas mileage at the same time, so they left the stock intake box instead of switching out to an afe box.

Here is a link to a bad ass 800hp Camaro. I can't believe Yenko, who has been making high performance cars since the 60's wasn't smart enough to not only use an aftermarket cai, they used a completely stock intake box and tubing. They too must not realize the benefits of an aftermarket cai.

Just a side note, that Camaro has nothing to do with the old Yenko from the 60's. It's built by SVE and then they put a Yenko sticker on it.

One question I have on the 800 hp truck example provided is did they alter the separate fender intake piece(the separate plastic part with the foam that is between the fender and box itself) that comes with the stock intake. My intake had a oval tube shape but blocked other portions of the fender opening that were already cut out. That separate piece that connects to the air box seems smaller than the tube to me. If someone were to open that small opening up (dremel or something) you could potentially see how the stock box could receive more air. I even noted on that separate part that you could see where an already design cutout was made that would match up with the precut fender hole. Anyway just stating something I was curious about and noted when changing out the boxes.

Sent from my Note 5 using Tapatalk

There you have it, 2 high hp builds with factory intakes. Undeniable proof aftermarket intakes are a waste.

Have you considered a career in science or maybe as a litigation attorney? Your ability to find factual evidence and then use them to argue a point is nothing short of remarkable.

One question I have on the 800 hp truck example provided is did they alter the separate fender intake piece(the separate plastic part with the foam that is between the fender and box itself) that comes with the stock intake. My intake had a oval tube shape but blocked other portions of the fender opening that were already cut out. That separate piece that connects to the air box seems smaller than the tube to me. If someone were to open that small opening up (dremel or something) you could potentially see how the stock box could receive more air. I even noted on that separate part that you could see where an already design cutout was made that would match up with the precut fender hole. Anyway just stating something I was curious about and noted when changing out the boxes.

That piece of the box with the hole can be removed and can open up the box the size of the fender opening or close to it, I can't remember exactly. However, that piece seals the box to the fender and doesn't allow hot underhood air to get in. I removed mine, but had some box to underhood seal type stuff that I used to seal the side of the box to the fender.

There you have it, 2 high hp builds with factory intakes. Undeniable proof aftermarket intakes are a waste.

Have you considered a career in science or maybe as a litigation attorney? Your ability to find factual evidence and then use them to argue a point is nothing short of remarkable.

Those were the only two I looked at, I'm sure there are more out there. If that stock box is a restriction on a 455ish hp motor, how does an 800 horse engine poss get that much air?

Dynos are far from factual proof. They can be easily manipulated and have been manipulated by many builders and tuners. Have you never heard of the term "You don't race dynos"? You need to expand your narrow mind.

• Like 1

That piece of the box with the hole can be removed and can open up the box the size of the fender opening or close to it, I can't remember exactly. However, that piece seals the box to the fender and doesn't allow hot underhood air to get in. I removed mine, but had some box to underhood seal type stuff that I used to seal the side of the box to the fender.

Did you or anyone else that modified this feel that the separate piece was a restriction on air intake of the stock system? It would make sense with the results of the BB MIT dyno (since nothing on the box changed) and why all the Full CAI gained power wouldn't it? Anyway Silver Sled it seems if you already removed that insert you considered the fully stock system to have a restriction so just curious if you noticed anything of difference especially at higher RPMs.

Not 100% on this.......just a wild guess here......maybe, just maybe, it's the gigantic f-in supercharger?

Well of course it's a supercharger, and of course with an FI motor intake flow restrictions aren't as important. But if a particular item is a restriction on a 455ish hp motor (like you say the 6.2 in a truck is), even you should know it becomes even more of a restriction on an 800hp motor for example. Maybe you are correct and this 800 hp truck is closer to a 900 hp truck if not for the stock intake box. That owner needs to get on this website so he can learn from you all about what really works and what doesn't. He obviously has no clue.

Well of course it's a supercharger, and of course with an FI motor intake flow restrictions aren't as important. But if a particular item is a restriction on a 455ish hp motor (like you say the 6.2 in a truck is), even you should know it becomes even more of a restriction on an 800hp motor for example. Maybe you are correct and this 800 hp truck is closer to a 900 hp truck if not for the stock intake box. That owner needs to get on this website so he can learn from you all about what really works and what doesn't. He obviously has no clue.

Yeah he probably doesn't know how bad the restriction is.

Are you seriously trying to make the point that because he built that vehicle he must know how every factory part flows on a vehicle that was released to the public 3 years ago?

Yeah he probably doesn't know how bad the restriction is.

Are you seriously trying to make the point that because he built that vehicle he must know how every factory part flows on a vehicle that was released to the public 3 years ago?

I thought you were the only one that knew how every factory part flows.

Did you or anyone else that modified this feel that the separate piece was a restriction on air intake of the stock system? It would make sense with the results of the BB MIT dyno (since nothing on the box changed) and why all the Full CAI gained power wouldn't it? Anyway Silver Sled it seems if you already removed that insert you considered the fully stock system to have a restriction so just curious if you noticed anything of difference especially at higher RPMs.

I wouldn't do it if I couldn't seal the box to the fender, letting in hot air is a big no no. It was on here where a guy talked about the box portion. Mostly for more noise, it didn't make a noticeable diff in performance though. Edited by SILVER SLED