6.2 with afe intake = 36hp!

This is BS! No intake will make this kind of power. Headers and tuning will do wonders. I am using my stock airbox and filter with my Magnuson and no other gains to be made with a cai.

RT

You can call BS all you want, but blackbear isn't in the business of deceiving people.

• Like 1

Whaaaat? You must know the vendor cost then?

More of a sarcastic guess/joke, take it easy, your embarrassing yourself.

you are = you're

You can call BS all you want, but blackbear isn't in the business of deceiving people.

He's kidding

Don't get why this is so unbelievable. The L86 is essentially the same as the 455 Hp LT1 in the camaro or the 460HP vette motor, just de-tuned. The motor is de-tuned through the intake (Both the air intake and intake manifold) and ECM programing mostly. If you notice on the design, the opening at the filter to the inlet tube has much more area than the factory tube or M.I.T. or any of the others. There is much less delta/P (pressure drop due to lack of restriction than other designs) plus it functions more like an air horn/velocity stack than the other designs. So freeing up 36 FWHP on a de-tuned 460HP engine is possible to me. Some guys only think in black and white and don't notice that everything is not the same on the design. Done similar intakes on bikes/ATV's where there is very little to gain and picked up across the whole powerband. The 420HP 6.2 is very chocked in stock form and will respond very well to intelligent intake/exhaust and tuning changes. Notice I said intelligent, not just bolting on parts, Need to look at the overall design and figure out if it makes sense or not. In this case it does.

Plus not every tuner is a snake oil salesman, I've me Justin a few years back before things were as big as they are now, and He came off as super honest, knowledgeable and stand up. No reason to believe that this is not a true result.

All this time on your hands internet expert, armchair QB responses are what makes it so tough for anybody to do anything positive cause people get crucified for trying to do anything good and informative for the community. Come to find out one of you guys forgot your meds, or had one too many and had nothing better to do than spout your $.02 and piss on this thread.

How many people can now make a better choice of what intake to spend money on because of Blackbears effort? Thank You.

• Like 3

I don't need to prattle on about what I own or have owned to try and make myself sound like I know more than anyone else. However, one only needs a modicum of automotive knowledge to see that there is something flawed with the results. If I were in the aftermarket business and I found a 36hp increase on a truck with nothing more than a change in perforated paper technology, I would have held off on posting the results until I found out where my assessment went sideways. In no way are they "holding back" in order to release that pent up power in the future. The pendulum is swinging from HP to MPG and the 6.2 has enough HP to satisfy most for quite a few more years. No way would GM hold back the MPG available by simply changing the filter element.

You need big numbers to sway someone to pay $400 for a 12"x8" PVC box and a filter element.

Edited by isellpower
  • Like 1

All this time on your hands internet expert, armchair QB responses are what makes it so tough for anybody to do anything positive cause people get crucified for trying to do anything good and informative for the community. Come to find out one of you guys forgot your meds, or had one too many and had nothing better to do than spout your $.02 and piss on this thread.

It seems that the only people that believe these results are internet experts and armchair QBs. It seems that anybody that has some knowledge of performance vehicles thinks there is something not so right with the results.

Unfortunately for black bear they have apparently lost some credibility with these results. Like was said above, anyone with as much knowledge as Black bear claims to have, should have questioned the results themselves.

• Like 1

I don't need to prattle on about what I own or have owned to try and make myself sound like I know more than anyone else. However, one only needs a modicum of automotive knowledge to see that there is something flawed with the results. If I were in the aftermarket business and I found a 36hp increase on a truck with nothing more than a change in perforated paper technology, I would have held off on posting the results until I found out where my assessment went sideways. In no way are they "holding back" in order to release that pent up power in the future. The pendulum is swinging from HP to MPG and the 6.2 has enough HP to satisfy most for quite a few more years. No way would GM hold back the MPG available by simply changing the filter element.

You need big numbers to sway someone to pay $400 for a 12"x8" PVC box and a filter element.

An engine is an air pump

You have an amazing v8 at your disposal and you want to move it from a sports car to a truck. Whats the easiest way to reduce top end power and keep your torque curve to the left.....an air restriction. In a further effort to reduce power but not decrease towing capacity, they left the torque managment and throttle input on fun kill mode. It's very possible that during testing they ended up with a truck more like an srt-10 when really they just wanted a comfortable truck with towing power. It's clear that they purposely tried to zap the fun out of these trucks. Whether its for insurance reasons, fuel economy, or the warranty, who knows, but there is no denying they did do it intentionally.

Not to mention, these trucks run a bit rich from the factory. I've seen plenty of black smoke coming out of my tailpipe at WOT before my tune. It's also possible freeing up the air restriction leaned out the fuel mixture a bit further increasing the power. But as you can see from the timing, it didn't run too lean.