Swap out seats

If one has heated seats already both driver and passenger, what are your thoughts of swapping seats for heat and AC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly, I think you would just need the new switches and possibly the extra wires from the BCM to the seat, but don't quote me on that as I couldn't say for sure without a couple of days with a vehicle that already had those options. The command for heat and cool as far as the switches are concerned are one and the same, just think of it when you request Full heat level 3 it sends a 3 to the specific address connected to which seat you want to turn it on, when you request Seat only heat level 3 it sends a 6 to the same address and when you request Cool level 3 it sends a 9 to the same address, a 0 turns all of them off. Granted, it is a lot more complicated than that but the basic premises is the same. The big difference is that from what I have seen the factory heated seats are controlled by an additional controller but the coolers are controlled directly from the BCM.

• Like 1

Makes sense. After looking at the X310/X320 connector details for the dome lamp circuit (for footwell led tap), I found my connector was missing it and a lot of other circuits.

Granted, these circuits are mostly Seat Memory Signals and such... was really bummed about missing the simple dome lamp circuit. So I am pinning that this weekend. I'm in Dallas so AC Seats would be nice. :)

@Darth_Vader - It's also interesting that the pinout shows nothing for "cooled seat" circuits except for a vent motor circuit (Circuit # 5906), so now the question I've got, is how do the seats actually cool and circuits would those be?

Phil, they use a technology that features a plate that cools off when you put voltage through it. I have found some info on it in the past but I can't remember off the top of my head where. I just remember the blower speed being adjusted via the BCM directly. Honestly, when I still had a 2014 I thought it was just air going through as I figured any air blowing up your back side would be cooler than what was building up between my ass and the leather seat. I will dig through my notes, I probably have it written down somewhere, I just haven't focused much on the operation while trying to get the switches deciphered.

I have ran into an weird road block, props to Chevy for using the weirdest baud rate ever, and it has tight tolerances, doesn't seem to like anything more than 5% off and the standard rates are more than 5% off. Looking for a work around.

That's cool. I most likely won't perform this upgrade... but I really like the work you're doing and the discussions behind the "how to". Very intriguing to me and will be following. In all the mods I've done, they have simply been adding missing circuits to gain functionality. You, sir, are on another level :).

Thanks guys, I am going to look in to some other possible applications once I get this sorted out, a lot of the ancillary stuff is controlled on the LIN bus like windows, door locks, seats, etc. I should have working heated seats by this weekend (even though I haven't installed them yet, lol).

• Like 2

I've had to order a mosfet board to control the power going to the seats due to the programmable controller I am working with not supporting the amperage needed to power up the seats. This is essentially what the heated seat module is, and I have one of those so I will experiment with it in the mean time, but luckily mosfet boards are cheap, they just take a while to get in from China.

• Like 1

I've had to order a mosfet board to control the power going to the seats due to the programmable controller I am working with not supporting the amperage needed to power up the seats. This is essentially what the heated seat module is, and I have one of those so I will experiment with it in the mean time, but luckily mosfet boards are cheap, they just take a while to get in from China.

So you are not only doing this for fun and research but actually looking to swap the seats out right?

So you are not only doing this for fun and research but actually looking to swap the seats out right?

Yeah, eventually I would like to install the front heated/cooled seats. But until then I am going to use them to run aftermarket heaters I will install in my cloth seats. I am a big fan of the factory buttons, so that was the driving factor in figuring this out. Until then I might make the cooler buttons do something silly like roll the windows down to mess with my wife.

• Like 2

Yeah, eventually I would like to install the front heated/cooled seats. But until then I am going to use them to run aftermarket heaters I will install in my cloth seats. I am a big fan of the factory buttons, so that was the driving factor in figuring this out. Until then I might make the cooler buttons do something silly like roll the windows down to mess with my wife.

[emoji23] - Awesome!

Check out pages 826 and 837 of the upfitter manual, will show you what pins on the seat side harness are power and ground, tie those in and you should be good to go.

What I find interesting is there are several pins that are on the Denali passenger seat harness that show as "Non-Occupied" on the harness diagram. #3,4,10,23,37,40,41,43,44. In the attached sheets, the yellow indicates what is on my existing harness in comparison to the green which is the Denali seat harness.

I see that I have Battery Positive voltage on my pin #35, could I jump that to pin #2 even though it is size 0.35 vs 2.5. And having said that how do you modify or change pins on these harnesses? I am good on wiring and soldering just about anything but have never done work like this.

As another option, would it be possible for me to replace the body side of the harness, if so where does the other side of it connect to the truck? Just trying to weigh my options, as I am lost at this point.

Upfitters1

Upfitters2

Upfitters3

Probably be too much an under taking to replace the harness so I would either bypass the connector, find the wires on the seat side harness I needed and tie them in or add the pins to the body connector. Most of these connectors can be split apart and pins added or removed, it's just a matter of getting the right size. I'll try to dig deeper and see what stands out. Are you wanting just electric seats or are you trying to get memory seats too? This goes from simple to complicated fast. Some of the pins that show not occupied are probably for options not listed on the standard pin out like the haptic feedback motors.

The body side harness goes forward, then branches off into a "W" into several locations. I don't think replacing the body harness is feasible since it's hard to tell what goes where after the branch out. One of the connectors is behind the door sill kick Panel.