Silverado operating temperature.

My 2017 Chevrolet Silverado guage indicates 210 to 214 degrees. Dealer check revealed no error codes. Annoys me to run so hot.

A cheapie OBD scanner/reader will let you know what the ECM thinks the temp is.

• Like 1

Thanks for the responses. The gauge is analog stock instrument cluster. Same amount of movement as my 1992 and 2004 GMCs, except now it's all above 210 degrees. The other trucks operated at a max of 210 unless there was a problem. I will buy the reader and report back. Thanks for the feedback.

While the gauge looks analog, it is a digital gauge and the reading is info from the ECM. As said though, that is normal operating temps and has been since the LS1 engines came out. Hotter cylinder temps make sure to have a more complete fuel burn, the engines do make more consistent power and have less spark knock around the 180° area but that will require a 180° t-stat.

• 2 years later...

Put a crammo or caddy stat in to get it a bit cooler. Also if you look closely at the stat disk there is a small flat spot you can put a small 1/8-3/16 bypass hole. Back in the day putting a small bypass hole was a common practice.

IMO the high temp doesn't seem to be problematic day to day. But for long haul the heat bakes the engine bay and all the components there. and with the 0w20 oil there is very little safety margin if you go past change interval or scorch the oil. One of the components not holding up seems to be the vacuum pump.

Edited by Pearl2017

44 minutes ago, Pearl2017 said:

Put a crammo or caddy stat in to get it a bit cooler. Also if you look closely at the stat disk there is a small flat spot you can put a small 1/8-3/16 bypass hole. Back in the day putting a small bypass hole was a common practice.

IMO the high temp doesn't seem to be problematic day to day. But for long haul the heat bakes the engine bay and all the components there. and with the 0w20 oil there is very little safety margin if you go past change interval or scorch the oil. One of the components not holding up seems to be the vacuum pump.

What do you mean "safety margin" past OCI?  What are you referring about...Hours, mileage etc? If your interested I have analytical "back" data on 0W-20 in extreme environment.   

I'm sure your data on 0w20 says its great stuff. But 5w30 10w40 and 15w50 also is great stuff no?. 0w20 was created to attain increased  fuel economy and It represents the minimum viscosity with a minimum of anti wear additives that will work in a modern engine in good condition. Then you add in additional heat with a higher tstat and go so far as to add variable louvers in front of the radiator to control how much cool air enters the radiator. again to drive up heat and efficiency.

your motor is a running symphony till something goes a little wrong. Say you get some oil dilution with a leaky injector or a little extra blow by thru the rings or one of the collapsible DOD lifters doesn't UN-collapse when ordered to do so. then on your way home you get stuck on the I-10 for 2 hours in a traffic jam with the AC on max and the outside air temp is 114 degrees, pavement 140 and your thermostat is 206. Right about then it may strike you. If i had a little cooler thermostat and more stout 10w40 in there with a bit more wear additive the mechanicals under the hood of my mobile crematoria might have a bit more safety margin.

Heat is a double edged sword. It can drive up efficiency but it also accelerates breakdown of all things. Simply put Heat accelerates entropy. Entropy being complete chaos which all things move toward. This is the reason light bulbs burn out and cars break down. Keep your heat high and use light oil like it says in the manual...its fine for you but I'll opt out.