I've been patiently looking for a great 45 carbine for decades. I thought I had found one that met my vision of what it should be when I saw the TNW Aero Survival. So, I bought one late last year. It is lightweight and seems reasonably accurate and reliable. But the quality of design and manufacture leaves something to be desired.

When I saw the web advertisements for the Flint River Armory CSA-45, it immediately got my attention. https://flintriverarmory.com/

It's a gas piston operated, rotating bolt, semi-auto. Long story, I ordered one a couple days ago. It's probably 1 1/2-2 months before I'll see it. It's not set up for California compliance, but I have a dealer that specializes in that.

That's pretty cool. I've been eyeballing a Sig MPX but am trying to hold out and see if the Trump administration loosens restrictions on SBRs at all. Otherwise I'll just do a pistol variant or the full size rifle.

I have a Colt 9 mm carbine that can eat a case of ammo berrore you realize it, it is one of the "Restricted" rifles

I got so many years ago. Most often i shoot a 300 Blackout pistol that I built, 8.5" barrel and arm brace, it is more fun too shoot than a lot of my "accumulation" of rifles and pistols and super accurate out to 100 yards if i brace it good. As far as .45 I leave that to my 1911's, I would go broke feeding a hungry .45 carbine, I shoot most every week ( when no snow) and go through hundreds of 5.56, 9mm, .45 etc. each session.

A fun target is chunks of brick-- hit that with a 300 BO and a big puff of red dust is the result.

I have a Colt 9 mm carbine that can eat a case of ammo berrore you realize it, it is one of the "Restricted" rifles

I got so many years ago. Most often i shoot a 300 Blackout pistol that I built, 8.5" barrel and arm brace, it is more fun too shoot than a lot of my "accumulation" of rifles and pistols and super accurate out to 100 yards if i brace it good. As far as .45 I leave that to my 1911's, I would go broke feeding a hungry .45 carbine, I shoot most every week ( when no snow) and go through hundreds of 5.56, 9mm, .45 etc. each session.

A fun target is chunks of brick-- hit that with a 300 BO and a big puff of red dust is the result.

I was thinking if I shot one box of ammo out of every gun I had, it might get expensive. Maybe time to shed some that I don't shoot anymore...

Spurshot, I have over 200 rifles and pistols, not all get shot on a regular basis but all have been shot by me after acquisition. I have so many AR's that my favorites get hundreds of rounds each month others considerably less, even though i load the Canyon full before going to shoot that does not mean i will get to shoot each one.

I sometimes trade rifles and pistols, rarely sell one and often give one to friends and relatives.

This has been a lifelong hobby.

• 3 weeks later...

Think I would prefer the time tested Thompson M1 .45. Reliable blow back operation. Simple and effective. And nothing like a something with credentials of a long history.

post-122677-0-41450800-1491693929_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Think I would prefer the time tested Thompson M1 .45. Reliable blow back operation. Simple and effective. And nothing like a something with credentials of a long history.

attachicon.gifScreenshot 2017-04-08_18-25-03.jpg

12 lbs...ugh. My TNW and the yet to be seen Flint River carbines are half that weight. Yeah, I get the nostalgia thing, especially if you can find a truly vintage one. But more for "collecting" than for any duty. I wouldn't want to modify a vintage one, if any feed ramp work is needed, etc..

I have a yearning desire for a pistol caliber carbine. If I could get it to take my Springfield mags, I might just die.

They (Flint River Armory) started taking orders for 9mm and 10mm for deliveries later this year.

I have fond memories of my Thompson, supplied for free by my Uncle Sam along wi,th a totally black German Shepard that loved to chew on people. We kept our side of the DMZ in Korea safe from all enemies foreign and domesticpost-169311-0-30109200-1492747897_thumb.jpeg Oops upside down and i am not knowledgeable in floping it so solly.

post-169311-0-30109200-1492747897_thumb.jpeg

Archived