Fuel filter change.

What is your change interval ? I see a lot of guys saying they change every 10,000 mile. I currently have 11,500 but the DIC say 80% filter life is left. Anyone know what info GM uses for that gauge is it gallons of fuel, vacuum, miles driven ? Just wondering if 10,000 miles is a little aggressive .

Were you changing because of filter monitor or mileage or age?

Kind of monitor/mileage. Monitor was down to 10% and mileage was ~52K. Based on a lot of the commentary it seems that the monitor uses some kind of vacuum to gauge life but the vacuum sensor that triggers limp mode seems like an on/off switch instead of a proportional sensor. Can't find any good info on theory of operation for the LML filter-life system.

What is your change interval ? I see a lot of guys saying they change every 10,000 mile. I currently have 11,500 but the DIC say 80% filter life is left. Anyone know what info GM uses for that gauge is it gallons of fuel, vacuum, miles driven ? Just wondering if 10,000 miles is a little aggressive .

I'm a bit of a nube....I tend to trust the monitors but I'm cognizant of the issues people have had in the past. Always good practice to carry a small bag with a filter, wrench, tools (for the wheel well), rags and gloves for long trips....truck will trigger limp mode if it gets to zero.

Over on a diesel forum awhile back someone made the claim that the LML takes into consideration rail pressure. I wonder if those that are pulling full-time with heavy loads are seeing a shorter filter life...that might indicate a fuel quantity through the filter as a factor. I drive mostly unloaded about 130-150 miles per day and usually (at least before the Michelins) 22 mpg over the course of a work week. My lifetime average is 18.5.

Just saw this:

"The fuel filter pressure switch is a normally closed switch located next to the fuel conditioning module. If fuel supply line vacuum reaches greater than 14 in Hg the switch will open. The engine control module (ECM) monitors the voltage on the fuel filter pressure switch signal circuit and will send a serial data message to the instrument panel cluster to display the FUEL FILTER RESTRICTED message."

I thought the hood scoop was cool on the 2017 and seriously thinking about getting a new 6.6 Duramax but after reading up on the extra maintenance requirements I decided not to. Just seems to be a lot of quirky stuff to fool with. Maybe in a few years when I get real old and have more patience i might get one LOL

I thought the hood scoop was cool on the 2017 and seriously thinking about getting a new 6.6 Duramax but after reading up on the extra maintenance requirements I decided not to. Just seems to be a lot of quirky stuff to fool with. Maybe in a few years when I get real old and have more patience i might get one LOL

With great power comes great responsibility lol

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a bit of a nube....I tend to trust the monitors but I'm cognizant of the issues people have had in the past. Always good practice to carry a small bag with a filter, wrench, tools (for the wheel well), rags and gloves for long trips....truck will trigger limp mode if it gets to zero.

No limp mode.

It will run at whatever capability it can with the fuel available.

Prior to the new filter being released in about 2009, it was common for the filter to reach capacity and the first warning to be falling on it's face part way thru a high throttle position manouever (like passing on a 2 lane). Recommendation to new owners was always carry a filter and know how to change it. (In those days it was easy to change from above).

The new filter came at the same time as the need to change through the wheel well - miserable at best on the side of the road. Maybe the access issue was one of the reasons for the new filter?

In any case, the 'carry and know how to change' recommendation is no longer common on the dmax forums.

We've yet to learn how the new style filter on the L5P is going perform. It is cartridge rather than spin-on and it is located under the truck by the fuel tank. The L5P also has a lift pump in the fuel tank, so hand priming is no longer required.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...