Drop hitch height?

Just wondering how much drop hitch you guys are using? Stock height truck with a 20ft travel trailer. My old 01 worked good with this 6" drop receiver. But with the 16 at stock height with 33" tires. Ive dropped the hitch to the lowest point and could still probably use another 1.5 or 2" to get the trailer close to level. Nothing in the bed right now and will prob have 1000lbs in it when loaded. But still not sure that will bring the trailer down much more?

Any help guys? Thanks.

Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but this is going to vary for each truck/trailer combo. Easiest way would be to hook up the trailer as you are going to travel with it and measure the height of the trailer at the ball. If it's not siting level then disconnect the trailer, level it out, then measure again. The difference is going to be how much additional drop/rise you need to adjust your hitch to be perfect.

• Like 3

Maybe I'm missing something in your post, but this is going to vary for each truck/trailer combo. Easiest way would be to hook up the trailer as you are going to travel with it and measure the height of the trailer at the ball. If it's not siting level then disconnect the trailer, level it out, then measure again. The difference is going to be how much additional drop/rise you need to adjust your hitch to be perfect.

Hammer head meet nail.

Edited by 15HDriver

I understand the difference between trailers etc. Just was looking for everyones setup. My 01 used the same 6" drop hitch in the middle setting. And now that 6" drop is going to have to be an 8" drop to get the trailer levelled to the same amount. Did not thing these trucks were that much higher. Thanks.

I understand the difference between trailers etc. Just was looking for everyones setup. My 01 used the same 6" drop hitch in the middle setting. And now that 6" drop is going to have to be an 8" drop to get the trailer levelled to the same amount. Did not thing these trucks were that much higher. Thanks.

The new trucks sit significantly higher than previous generations. I didn't check hitch height, but the top of the bed sides at the tailgate on my new 2017 (6.0 2500HD) are around 5 inches higher than my dad's 2006 (Duramax 2500HD). We just started checking all that this weekend for what I'm going to have to do to pull my fifth wheel.

• Like 2

My dad uses a 6" drop on his 2500HD, when pulling his small trailer and his fishing boat. My lifted pop-up still requires a 2" rise to be level. I'd invest in an adjustable hitch, then you'll have all kinds of options!

My dad uses a 6" drop on his 2500HD, when pulling his small trailer and his fishing boat. My lifted pop-up still requires a 2" rise to be level. I'd invest in an adjustable hitch, then you'll have all kinds of options!

Any suggestions?

Talking to a couple of guys that I know here (besides online) that tow TTs & I may not need the WDH for the new truck (tongue weight is around 450#). My 1 friend suggested that I try towing my TT w/o the bars & see how the ride is. I know before I used a WDH on my '04 2500HD, there was some 'porpoising' on bumps.

Any suggestions?

Talking to a couple of guys that I know here (besides online) that tow TTs & I may not need the WDH for the new truck (tongue weight is around 450#). My 1 friend suggested that I try towing my TT w/o the bars & see how the ride is. I know before I used a WDH on my '04 2500HD, there was some 'porpoising' on bumps.

I'm very pleased with my B&W Tow & Stow. They're a great option if you don't need a WDH.

Here's a link: http://www.turnoverball.com/products/tow-and-stow-adjustable-ball-mounts/tow-and-stow

• 1 year later...

I'm now in the same position as the original poster.  Just bought a 2018 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 with 18" tires all factory no lift or leveling.  The top of the receiver is 20" off the ground (and obviously the bottom of the receiver is 18").   I want to go with the weigh-safe hitch.  I'm just stuck deciding between the 4" drop and the 6" drop.  Tow a 18' car hauler with a compact tractor on it and a 18' ski boat.  A 4" drop is what I have in an old rusted hitch ball now and I think that's all I need.  That said, I always prefer flexibility or future potential if available without any huge current compromises.  In the video below a 6" drop is attached to stock 2015 Sierra 1500 and at 2:00 he measures his receiver top height at 19.75" off the ground so basically same as mine.  He mentions at this point also that the bottom of the drop is 10.5" off the ground and he should probably have gone with the 4" drop.  I like the extra 2" of flexibility assuming 10.5" off the ground wouldn't wind up bottoming out on a pitched driveway that changes pitch from a level street or something like that.    Decisions.....