New GM recall for loss of power steering - June 29, 2017

NHTSA Recall Number: opens new window takes away from VIN lookup section> AWAITING# Recall Date: June 29, 2017

Manufacturer Recall Number: N172085440 SUMMARY:

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2014 model year Chevrolet Silverado LD and GMC Sierra LD vehicles. These vehicles may experience a temporary loss of electric power steering (EPS) assist followed by a sudden return of EPS assist, particularly during low-speed turning maneuvers. The loss and sudden return of EPS assist typically happens within a 1 second period and is caused by an electrical/software issue.

SAFETY RISK:

If EPS assist is lost and suddenly returned, the driver could lose temporary control of the steering wheel, increasing the risk of a crash.

REMEDY:
Dealers will perform a reflash of the EPS module software.
RECALL STATUS:

Recall INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available

MANUFACTURER NOTES:

Visit manufacturer website at https://my.gm.com/recallsfor more information. For GM Canada Company visit https://recalls.gm.ca/#/

Just took my '14 Silverado Z-71 Crew Cab in for an oil change and was notified of this. Taking it back in next Tuesday for the "fix".

They didn't really tell me anything of the fix....Came home and looked on here for some info.

I noticed under the "RECALL STATUS" it says "Remedy not yet available". I wonder how they will implement the "fix" with no remedy available??

BTW, I searched the GM Recall website with my 2014 Silverado's VIN and learned it is subject to the same recall.

My 97' K1500 had the VSS (variable speed steering). It was a rolling death trap and so dangerous I wouldn't let anyone drive it. Nothing like taking a nice sweeping turn down the highway at 45 MPH and having the steering wheel jerk violently out of your hands. Not one TSB or recall was ever issued. Guess the death toll count wasn't high enough for GM to justify it...

Just took my '14 Silverado Z-71 Crew Cab in for an oil change and was notified of this. Taking it back in next Tuesday for the "fix".

They didn't really tell me anything of the fix....Came home and looked on here for some info.

I just returned from the dealer. I had an appointment today for them to "fix" the issue (which there really is no fix yet). I went and sat in the waiting room and twenty minutes later they called me back out. It seems since I was there last week and today GM has decieded NOT to do anything until they come up with an actual fix for the problem....since I have not experienced the issue they said that they probably shouldn't reflash for no reason. They just said to "stay tuned" for further information.

I don't know what to think about any of this. I was unaware of the potential problem until they pointed out the recall to me. I came home after my oil change last week and looked up what info I could find and saw a couple youtube videos that shocked the hell out of me...there is some serious jerking going on with the steering wheel on these videos...pretty scary!

I just bought a 2014 Silverado last week. The dealer called right the next day saying I had to go turn it back in due to the recall for safety issues. So they put me in a loaner truck. Been waiting for a remedy and doesn't seem like it will be soon. I think I will get my new plates in the mail before I even get my truck!

So if this recall is for 2014's what did GM change with the other model years as they are not affected. Makes you wonder if they knew of the problem earlier than they are letting on...

I came home after my oil change last week and looked up what info I could find and saw a couple youtube videos that shocked the hell out of me...there is some serious jerking going on with the steering wheel on these videos...pretty scary!

There is some serious 'jerking' going on in the GM Board room about these recalls too.

Yeah I’m getting the runaround with GM and the dealership. I took my truck in because I almost wrecked because of it and my daughter was in my truck. It happens to me maybe once a week. My truck is at the dealership now and can’t get the truck to cause the error so they want me to come get get and put me back in the truck knowing it’s a safety issue for me and my family. THEY also want me to pay $130 diagnostics fee because there isn’t a remedy for the recall yet so they don’t exactly what the issue is.

I’ve been on the phone with GM to see if they can put me in a loaner until there is a remedy but people keep telling me they will escalate my case but it’s just been advisors acting like senior advisors and not calling me back. So I have to turn my loaner in today and pick my truck up. I’m sick and tired of dealing with them and don’t know what else to do. I’m scared of getting in a wreck while my baby is in the truck but have no other transportation.

Back in 99' when I first bought my 97' K1500, there were thousands of complaints on the NHTSA website regarding this erratic "jerking" of the steering wheel. GM introduced this particular VSS system (variable speed steering) in 1997. This VSS system was used in the C/K series trucks as well as full size vans for certain and other GM makes/models. As stated in earlier post, there was not one recall or TSB issued. GM must have paid off NHTSA handsomely to bury this as it would have affected millions of vehicles.

There is a steering column mounted potentiometer that feeds an input signal to the ECM to indicate steering wheel position and an ECM controlled solenoid valve on the back of the power steering pump that will increase/decrease line pressure to the power steering box. The principle is at slow speed, the ECM allows for you to easily turn the steering wheel. As vehicle speed increases, it takes more effort to turn the steering wheel.

I spent years figuring out how to remedy this erratic jerking of the steering wheel without trying to break the bank. I ended up taking the potentiometer off the steering column and taping it to the 12 o'clock position so it could no longer rotate. In essence, I was tricking the ECM into thinking I was always driving in a straight line. This helped as the frequency of the erratic jerk in the steering wheel was decreased, but it did not completely solve the problem.

The next step was to see if I could retrofit a power steering pump and power steering gear box out of a 1996 model C/K1500 into my 1997, thus completely bypassing the VSS system. I couldn't justify the expense and knowing for certain it would work as GM changed the steering geometry in 1997.

I owned this truck for 16 miserable years and would not let anyone drive it as it was far too dangerous. This POS was a true rolling death trap. When I eventually sold it, I told the new owner about this erratic VSS system and made him sign a release of liability waiver before handing over the pink slip.

Never had any issues out of my steering in the 3 years I have owned it but I checked and my truck is part of the recall. Now if they would recall the faulty AC to go along with it.

I just got off the phone with GM recall service and they told me that it would be mid-september before the "fix" would be rolled out. Very frustrating because I am shopping for a new to me truck right now and have already lost 1 very good truck to this recall. Dealers are NOT to sell any 2014 Silverados until the "fix" is completed on current inventory vehicles!!!!!!

Archived