May need cheaper Ride

JEFFBTRUCKER

Looks like will have to sell my 2014 Silverado with only 26000 miles , I'm getting older with Med Bills, Heath Insurance and Taxes taking almost half my paycheck . I'm looking at used 2012-2014 LT or LTZ Impalas with average miles, they are plentiful and in my price range. Don't know may work something out to keep the truck , already refinanced it twice

2014 Silverdo

Edited by JEFFBTRUCKER

Jeff- I did the same thing. Thought that my med bills were too much and wanted to get them paid off faster, so my thinking was to sell my beloved 08 Duramax and I got into a new 2013 Impala. While the car was fine (get a 2012 or 2013 with the 305HP direct injection engine and 6-speed auto) when everything was said and done, I was not really saving all that much money and I would have paid off my truck a lot faster if I had just kept it like I should have. I ended up 2 years later trading the Impala in towards the POS Duramax I have now and I am not all that happy. I screwed up twice. Oh well. Keep the truck, find a way to make it work out . You will regret selling it, trust me.

Jeff- I did the same thing. Thought that my med bills were too much and wanted to get them paid off faster, so my thinking was to sell my beloved 08 Duramax and I got into a new 2013 Impala. While the car was fine (get a 2012 or 2013 with the 305HP direct injection engine and 6-speed auto) when everything was said and done, I was not really saving all that much money and I would have paid off my truck a lot faster if I had just kept it like I should have. I ended up 2 years later trading the Impala in towards the POS Duramax I have now and I am not all that happy. I screwed up twice. Oh well. Keep the truck, find a way to make it work out . You will regret selling it, trust me.

You were in over your head and actually thought buying a new car would make your situation better? Is this one of those spend your way out of debt things?

You'll notice the OP stated "used" to try and make his situation better not worse. lol

• Like 1

I've seen Nisan Versas going for under 10K here in the Houston area. Boring as hell I know, but can't beat a cheap car with warranty to get through tough times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen Nisan Versas going for under 10K here in the Houston area. Boring as hell I know, but can't beat a cheap car with warranty to get through tough times.

Nothing wrong with a versa have one myself lol 2012 hatchback with 90xxx miles on it. Had some 20s on it with a banging system. It was the first versa I've seen down in the valley with all this turned some heads. But passed it on to my wife so all that had to go lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with a versa have one myself lol 2012 hatchback with 90xxx miles on it. Had some 20s on it with a banging system. It was the first versa I've seen down in the valley with all this turned some heads. But passed it on to my wife so all that had to go lol

Just quoting Car and driver. Appliance car they called it,what ever works. Our travel car is a Camry, called boring by car and driver. It's not that bad, really. I wouldn't mind it being my only car if I had to.

Just quoting Car and driver. Appliance car they called it,what ever works. Our travel car is a Camry, called boring by car and driver. It's not that bad, really. I wouldn't mind it being my only car if I had to.

Whatever gets you from point a to point b that's what matters.

Are you presently upside down on value on this truck or can you sell it and wash away ALL the debt? If it was a wash and I was in as bad a financial shape as you sound to be this truck would be gone very quickly and a $2,000.00 Dave Ramsey car would be parked in my drive, not a newer car LOL that seems to defeat the purpose here. Hope you get your health issues resolved soon.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Many of us can share similar stories but no two situations are the same. I would see a financial professional for advice. Sometimes you may find a good adviser at your local bank. You may also find help at any union or professional organization that you belong to or that you belonged to in the past. Replacing your truck may or may not be the best long term solution but I would not base my decision on recommendations found on the internet. I can recall two situations in my life when I downsized vehicles to resolve financial pressures. Both circumstances were quite different. Both times, I received immediate but temporary financial relief. Long term, I would have been better off not selling and I regret not seeking help from those more knowledgeable in this area!

"Banks specialize in lending funds" and employ advisers who offer good financial advice. I don't visit a bank and increase my debt load unless that is what I want. I use their expertise to help me manage financially through a hopefully long retirement! A well established financial institution has bigger goals than to take advantage of individuals struggling with personal finances. They know strategies to help you better manage your money and they are familiar with services available to help you deal with your current debt.

Banks specialize in lending funds to make the bank more capital, truly some of the last people I would consult in this situation. The discussion should be to locate a vehicle that can be paid for, certainly not another to keep paying on.

Banks create a symbiotic relationship, or at least try to. If they make you financially stable and you bring them more money in deposits, then they can lend your money with interest to other people. If you think all banks are trying to scam you, just keep stuffing your mattress