Sierra 1500 Denali magnetic ride shock failure?

Searched the forum back about a year and didn't see any posts on this topic. Here's my situation:

2015 Denali, 75k miles, purchased new 10/2014. Truck has been reasonably trouble free, other than an issue with the OnStar antenna in Jan. 2015. About 2 months ago, I noticed the front end was starting to feel a little bouncy and making a creaking noise on slow speed bumps and figured I'd mention it when my 75k mile service came up. Scheduled my appointment for said 75k service for a week out and 2 days later I notice the rear of my truck is not level. Looking at the back of the truck, the passenger side was lower than the driver side. A tape measure confirmed the top of tire to wheel well measurement was 3.5" lower on the passenger side. Brought it to the dealership right away because I didn't feel it was safe to drive it like that.

My dealer informs me that not only the rear passenger shock, but ALL FOUR of my Magnetic Ride Control (MRC) shocks are bad and need to be replaced, at a cost of $3,000 for the set. Mind you, I've had a very good relationship with this dealer, so it didn't take much effort to get them to attempt to warranty this for me. They said GMC would cover them via a pro-rated warranty where they pay $2k and I pay $1k. I'm not happy, but I need my truck back so I gave the dealer the go-ahead. Two days later, my dealer tells me the shocks are out of stock and none are available from any other GMC dealers anywhere in the US. There is no date on the backorder from GMC, either. Why would all 4 of my expensive shocks fail on my expensive truck within 75k miles and none are available anywhere within the GMC USA network? Well, I'm no Sherlock Holmes, but it leads me to believe there's a problem with these shocks and GM has burned through their inventory replacing them.

Further, my 75k miles is almost all highway miles. About the only "off road" adventures it has seen is when I inadvertently drive over my lawn. Certainly nothing like the great off-road driving clips in GMC Truck ads.

Anyone aware of any similar issues? Thanks in advance.

• Haha 1

The magnetic ride shocks have had this issue since I can remember them being introduced into the escalades in 2007. I'm sure the same shock for your GMC is the same for multiple vehicles. So it's not a case of burning through inventory. Not many are made to just have lying around. Parts are backordered every day and sometimes I've even had vehicles down two months waiting for parts. Unfortunately, it sucks. But I'd be stoked that there was participation in the repair. You know you could nudge the dealer to cover some of that customer cost too. There's a metric that is released on a report every 3 months that shows the dealers goodwill/customer participation amount. See if you can persuade them to cover some of it as well. This looks negative on the dealer reports, but if you have a good rapport with the dealer, they may help you granted they expect your business in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. They usually don't make 75k miles. You did good. Why not try to find a low mileage used set?

Really??? That's pretty disappointing to hear. I had no idea these shocks had such a bad rap. I guess I was naive thinking they were new tech on the 2015 Denali.

Is there any better solution via aftermarket?

The magnetic ride shocks have had this issue since I can remember them being introduced into the escalades in 2007. I'm sure the same shock for your GMC is the same for multiple vehicles. So it's not a case of burning through inventory. Not many are made to just have lying around. Parts are backordered every day and sometimes I've even had vehicles down two months waiting for parts. Unfortunately, it sucks. But I'd be stoked that there was participation in the repair. You know you could nudge the dealer to cover some of that customer cost too. There's a metric that is released on a report every 3 months that shows the dealers goodwill/customer participation amount. See if you can persuade them to cover some of it as well. This looks negative on the dealer reports, but if you have a good rapport with the dealer, they may help you granted they expect your business in the future.

I appreciate this suggestion and I've asked my dealer. My service rep is pleading my case to the manager.

Wow I planned on keeping my truck to 300k so that means I'm in for 3 shock changes. Jesus. And it doesn't sound like you can really drive it when they go bad. Normal shocks you can just put up with the bad ride until you want to replace them.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Don't forget the dealer DMA. He or she can authorize this as well. This is key to know.

What is DMA?

Don't forget the dealer DMA. He or she can authorize this as well. This is key to know.

What is DMA?

What is DMA?

This is the Dealer Manager Aftersales. This person oversees multiple dealers in a specific area. Handles all kinds of concerns with repairs, buybacks and goodwill assistance claims. They do more than that, but they may be able to help you too.

Is there an aftermarket option that offers as nice of a ride quality as the OEM Mag Ride shocks? That's what sold me on the Denali. I tested other models that had Z71 package and non-Z. I found the non-Z better, but the Denali was way smoother for all of the highway mileage I drive.

For those that have been following, my shocks arrived at my dealer this afternoon. They hoped to finish it before they closed today, but called me to say the installation of the fronts was far more complicated than the plug-and-play installation of the rears. I'll have it back tomorrow.