Sierra Frame Changes 2014 thru 2017 ?

Go to the dealer and drive another 2017 Sierra. If it rides the same, it's normal. If it is different, you have data to make a case with GM.

Seems like a straight forward approach...

Good luck,

-S

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've driven several GMC and Chevy 1500's before I bought my truck. Drove a few with different packages, Z71, High Country, LTZ, SLT, and of course the Denali. None of which rode with anything that I could consider harsh. I also drove F150s, Tundras, Rams and Nissans. The Tundra and the Ram were probably the harshest of the bunch. The GMC/Chevy trucks all had smoother rides than any of the others.

Like others have said, go drive a few other trucks with your set up to see if you can nail down what is different about yours.

Would trading to a Denalli with magnetic ride solve my issue? I cant find any information about it on these forums.

Honestly, I think you're making this waaaaay more complicated than it needs to be. Several folks have suggested that you take 1 or 2 different new comparable trucks for a test drive. I concur.

That will tell you instantly whether the issue is with your truck or the suspension/tire package you chose. That's the first thing you should do & costs no money.

I also suggested that you get the shocks checked/tested to make sure they're working properly. That would be step 2.

The dealer has already made up its mind that the vehicle is working as engineered. They agreed that it has a very harse ride. They attributed it to the fact that their field representive acknowledged he has had complaints simular. The field rep said that it was caused by the frame being beefed up to meet roll over requirements.

I rode in the exact same vehicle for 105,000 miles but a 2014 model. That is my test ride comparison. That is my reasoning to expect this vehicle to be usable. I have riden in another vehicle simular but cant find the exact same truck at the dealer/ The closest I can find is a 2017 with a z71 package which is better.

This is the third vehicle I have bought from this delaer. The previous two have no complaints in the history. I am not fabricating an issue. The dealer wont pull the front struts off just to check nor will they replace just becasue I have what they consider a normal issue.

I know this, I cant use the vehicle without it inducing severe pain in my back. This is my problem and I was just asking if anyone here knows for a fact the frame has been stiffened up. That appears to not be an answer that is going to be easy to get.

I am in this at this point by myself and merely seeing if any of the people on these forums have the technical expertise or knowledge about the frame. If it was indeed beefed up, my case is closed. I have spent hours of research and cannot find anything to substantiate the frame has had any changes made to it. Again, that is the reasoning I have been given that this is a normal ride.

I will continue my fight but probably with a certified letter to GM starting the lemon law process which gives them 30 days to remedy the problem or buy back they vehicle. I really wanted to keep this truck and just get the ride settled down.

If the frame has changed, then you cannot use your 2014 as a comparison. That is why people are suggesting to test drive a newer one that would have the same frame. Not sure how that is hard to understand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The dealer has already made up its mind that the vehicle is working as engineered. They agreed that it has a very harse ride. They attributed it to the fact that their field representive acknowledged he has had complaints simular. The field rep said that it was caused by the frame being beefed up to meet roll over requirements.

I rode in the exact same vehicle for 105,000 miles but a 2014 model. That is my test ride comparison. That is my reasoning to expect this vehicle to be usable. I have riden in another vehicle simular but cant find the exact same truck at the dealer/ The closest I can find is a 2017 with a z71 package which is better.

This is the third vehicle I have bought from this delaer. The previous two have no complaints in the history. I am not fabricating an issue. The dealer wont pull the front struts off just to check nor will they replace just becasue I have what they consider a normal issue.

I know this, I cant use the vehicle without it inducing severe pain in my back. This is my problem and I was just asking if anyone here knows for a fact the frame has been stiffened up. That appears to not be an answer that is going to be easy to get.

I am in this at this point by myself and merely seeing if any of the people on these forums have the technical expertise or knowledge about the frame. If it was indeed beefed up, my case is closed. I have spent hours of research and cannot find anything to substantiate the frame has had any changes made to it. Again, that is the reasoning I have been given that this is a normal ride.

I will continue my fight but probably with a certified letter to GM starting the lemon law process which gives them 30 days to remedy the problem or buy back they vehicle. I really wanted to keep this truck and just get the ride settled down.

I posted this in #14 of this thread: "The frame has very little (if anything) to do with ride - soft, firm or harsh. Your dealer and warranty rep are talking out of their asses.

Ride quality is controlled thru the suspension and tires."

I do happen to have a substantial base of knowledge about this.
I don't feel that you're fabricating an issue. However, you've posted extensively about this in numerous threads, but I haven't seen you take any advice, or do anything about it.

Go to a different dealer and do a couple test drives; that will provide the answer. The field rep is a tool, as he doesn't know how a frame works in a truck. He's just making up bullshit. Don't listen to him.

Please, go do the test drives. After the test drives, please come back and report. If you need to go to step 2, then lets look at those shocks.........

I posted this in #14 of this thread: "The frame has very little (if anything) to do with ride - soft, firm or harsh. Your dealer and warranty rep are talking out of their asses.

Ride quality is controlled thru the suspension and tires."

I do happen to have a substantial base of knowledge about this.

I don't feel that you're fabricating an issue. However, you've posted extensively about this in numerous threads, but I haven't seen you take any advice, or do anything about it.

Go to a different dealer and do a couple test drives; that will provide the answer. The field rep is a tool, as he doesn't know how a frame works in a truck. He's just making up bullshit. Don't listen to him.

Please, go do the test drives. After the test drives, please come back and report. If you need to go to step 2, then lets look at those shocks.........

That comment on the frame not impacting ride made me think back when they changed from the c frame to the tubular frame, GM immediately got complaints of frame beaming in the 2500s (mine suffers from it)...their answer is that it is because the new frames are so much stiffer. Frames can absorb or transmit vibrations...they do play a role in ride quality. Going from a c frame to a tubular frame is definitely noticeable...the tubular frames don't flex as much, and feel different if you only ever drove a c frame then step up to a tubular frame.

But I don't know know if they changed frames recently...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

That comment on the frame not impacting ride made me think back when they changed from the c frame to the tubular frame, GM immediately got complaints of frame beaming in the 2500s (mine suffers from it)...their answer is that it is because the new frames are so much stiffer. Frames can absorb or transmit vibrations...they do play a role in ride quality. Going from a c frame to a tubular frame is definitely noticeable...the tubular frames don't flex as much, and feel different if you only ever drove a c frame then step up to a tubular frame.

But I don't know know if they changed frames recently...

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

It doesn't affect ride quality very much. On the trucks you're referring to, they also had suspension changes when the frames changed, so many people may mistakenly attribute something to the frame, which is actually a suspension issue.

The issue of 'frame beaming' is actually a harmonic. While a harmonic could affect the driver and passenger & apparently was an issue on some 2500's, it won't affect them in the way the OP is complaining about. It's really a separate thing.

A stiffer frame allows the suspension designers to design a better suspension, so a stiffer frame actually may result in a better ride as the suspension can do the job its supposed to do without having to compensate for frame flex.

Archived