Sounds when you open the door

We don't know what year OPs truck is but the fuel pump does not automatically prime when the door opens til you have either a '16 or '17, I forget which. I can confirm this because when my '15 was in for service I had a '17 loaner and that was the first thing I noticed was the fuel pump priming when the door opens.

My guess is the OP has either a '14 or '15 and the buzzing sound is coming from somewhere under the hood near all the electrical box / pcm area. Mine does this too randomly after shutoff. It buzzes for a few seconds.

It is a 2017 5.3. Today I pulled out my phone to make a video but it didn't do it this morning. Last night it was NOT the regular noise I hear. It was buzzzz, like the sound you would hear on a game show if someone got the wrong answer. It went on for maybe 3 seconds. Even my wife was like "what the heck is that?" I was like IDK the first time i heard it. Ive had the truck for one month now.

You sure it was not coming out of your speakers? My 14 model will every now and then have a glitch where it makes buzzing sounds out of the speakers when I open the door (no key in the ignition). It has done it 3 or 4 times in 3 years and goes away if I shut the door and open it back up.

You sure it was not coming out of your speakers? My 14 model will every now and then have a glitch where it makes buzzing sounds out of the speakers when I open the door (no key in the ignition). It has done it 3 or 4 times in 3 years and goes away if I shut the door and open it back up.

That could be it? I was putting my son in a car seat so I couldn't investigate. If it happens again I will listen there. Ive had the truck a month and opened the door maybe 100+ times and this was the first time its happened, however it was the rear doors opened not the front.

That's it. Mine does that. Pretty sure it comes from speaker.

Lots of confusion going on here. I have a ‘17 6.2 Sierra. I too wondered what this sound was. I tried to do some research online with little success. When I was at the dealer for my first oil change I inquired about the noise. I was told it was the fuel pump priming for the direct injection. GM introduced it in 2017 to remedy the long crank times associated with the new ecotec3 GDI engines. When the driver door is opened (and only the driver door), the pump will prime IF the rail pressure is not optimal to achieve whatever crank time GM has deemed appropriate. So, if you drive somewhere, park, come back to your truck 30 min later, the priming ain’t gonna happen because you’ve still got good residual fuel pressure. However, if the truck sits overnight you will most likely hear it prime the first time you open the DRIVER’S door. And that’s ONLY for 2017’s. That’s what I was told by a service tech, and that’s my understanding of how it works. As for you fellas with ‘14, ‘15, ‘16 trucks, not sure what you’re hearing.
  • Like 2

• 1 year later...

I’m convinced it’s either the fuel pump or he emergency brake. I’m unsure as to why the brake would auto set, but I originally heard this exact noise in my wife’s 17 GMC Acadia. I wasn’t surprised at all to hear it in this truck. On her car it’s for sure the e-brake.

try pressing the E-brake button and compare the noises.

also, I heard it last week when I unlocked and opened the tailgate. Once again this wouldn’t make since for the fuel pump, but would for the e-brake.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone ever hear what sounds like metal clicking when they open the rear doors on a hot day?  I’m getting a noise on both sides from under the cab when I first open the doors.  The truck has to be sitting for a while for it to happen. 

• 8 months later...

The sound might be coming from the speakers, my sister's Acadia was doing it. Unplug the wiring harness inside each door by the hinges and see if there's any water, if so that's your problem. Two of hers were full of water, shook most of the water out then let dry before plugging back in