Fox 2.5 to level front end? How high with just shocks?

Sorry I know this has been discussed, and there is a 5000 page thread going on leveling kits, but I just have a few questions. 

I am thinking about leveling my truck, I don't off-road it, mainly for looks and snow clearance. 

2017 Sierra All Terrain

Would like to level it with a little bigger tires.

1. How high "should" I go with just new Fox shocks?
  2. Do I need upper arms?
    1. How high can I go with stock arms without unduly stressing anything?
    2. How high can I go with aftermarket arms without unduly stressing anything?
  3. Which Fox shocks would you recommend if money wasn't an object? Will be getting them for trade. 
  4. Anything else I should know if I just want to level it? 
  5. I am not looking to do it cheap, but do I need to do much more if I am just leveling it? 

Thanks!! 

If you don't off road then you're better off with 2.0s. The 2.5s ride better off road and worse on while the 2.0s are the opposite way around. You do need upper arms with the 2.5s.

You could do it with just the bilstein 5100s easily unless you're looking for the improved shock performance. 

Honestly, for you I would just use bilsteins to level it instead of foxes since you don't off road. You will need an alignment afterwards when messing with any suspension on the front.

Sorry I know this has been discussed, and there is a 5000 page thread going on leveling kits, but I just have a few questions. 

I am thinking about leveling my truck, I don't off-road it, mainly for looks and snow clearance. 

2017 Sierra All Terrain
Would like to level it with a little bigger tires.
  1. How high "should" I go with just new Fox shocks?
  2. Do I need upper arms?
    1. How high can I go with stock arms without unduly stressing anything?
    2. How high can I go with aftermarket arms without unduly stressing anything?
  3. Which Fox shocks would you recommend if money wasn't an object? Will be getting them for trade. 
  4. Anything else I should know if I just want to level it? 
  5. I am not looking to do it cheap, but do I need to do much more if I am just leveling it? 
Thanks!! 

Look at my signature. I installed my Fox 2.0s front and rear end. It brought the front end up 1.5”. I left the rear end stock, so I have probably 2” of rake left but it’s hardly noticeable.

I also purchased Method NV 17” wheels for a beefier tire. Went with 285/70/17 BFG KO2 (33”).

Fox 2.0 was about $1k. Tires another $1k.

I’d say it’s about $2k for the upgrade you’re looking for. Took me a couple hours on a weekend with household tools.

You can raise the Fox 2.0s to around 2-2.25” at max. Don’t need UCAs. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, so at 2" lift the front axles aren't too out of wack? Still rides good, no issue with the suspension topping out? 

I might have forgotten it in my original post, ride quality is very important to me, I like the way it rides now!! 

Thanks guys, so at 2" lift the front axles aren't too out of wack? Still rides good, no issue with the suspension topping out? 

I might have forgotten it in my original post, ride quality is very important to me, I like the way it rides now!! 

Correct. Rides better than stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) the higher you go the more potential for parts wearing out sooner than expected. *ball joins and cv boots* this will happen any time you level/lift and is to be expected.

2) you only need upper control arms if you get fox 2.5 models with extended travel meaning the level 0"-3". If you get fox 2.5 that only level 0"-2" you do not need upper control arms.

2) you can go as high as 2" after that it is recommended that you get a drop diff kit and extended brake lines.

3) if you are getting them in trade go for any of the Fox 2.5 0"-2" travel just because it's nothing outa your pocket! There is a huge $$$$ difference between the fox 2.5 and fox 2.0 set up! In reality you should go with chevyroofers set up and just get the fox 2.0 all the way around. If you are not off-roading at all you really do not need the fox 2.5.

4) you must understand that you are looking at using coil overs to "level" your truck. This means that the higher you want it the more pre load is on the spring. This is okay because they are built to do this but it will have an affect on your ride quality a little bit. Meaning that if you have The coilovers set at 0" lift they will ride more like a caddy because there is little to no pre load on the spring. If you then set the coilovers to 2" lift it will ride a little stiffer as the spring has more tension on it. The Fox coilovers ride amazing even set at the 2" max level. the fox 2.0 will ride so much better than a standard level block kit or the bilsteins 5100.

5) again if you just go with fox 2.0 all the way around you do not need to buy anything else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for the info, very useful!! I have to admit I like the look of all the trucks running the 2.5 leveling kit, but seems crazy to spend $200 to lift a $60K truck. I am a little nervous about running the Fox at 2", basically maxing out the preload, hopefully they won't be too stiff. Seems like they could have made them a little longer so you didn't have to put so much preload. 

How about the 2.5's front and rear? Too much damping, just better off with the 2.5's?

57 minutes ago, FAST380 said:

Thanks for the info, very useful!! I have to admit I like the look of all the trucks running the 2.5 leveling kit, but seems crazy to spend $200 to lift a $60K truck. I am a little nervous about running the Fox at 2", basically maxing out the preload, hopefully they won't be too stiff. Seems like they could have made them a little longer so you didn't have to put so much preload. 

How about the 2.5's front and rear? Too much damping, just better off with the 2.5's?

I can comment on the rears...I was looking into getting the 2.0 fronts and 2.5 rear w/ DSC adjustable dampening.  Ended up settling with the 2.0s since I won't tow for at least 3-4 more years.

Spoke to 2 reps (Dirt King & Fox) - they both said that the 2.5 rears are used a ton for towing/if you have a loaded down bed - it basically helps stiffen the rear end up more while towing or making it softer off-road.  I plan on towing a boat in the future, so I'll be purchasing the 2.5s when I get into a 2020/2021 Silverado.

This is what Fox said, so I think we are all in agreement. 

The shocks that will best meet his needs are our Performance Series 2” shocks.

They have aluminum bodies and offer the best ride, and are serviceable as well.

The front C/O’s will come preset to level the front of the vehicle.

985-02-018 (07-ON Chevy 1500 Front Coilover, PS, 2.0, IFP, 4.3", 0-2" Lift) MSRP $449.95 each

980-24-660 (99-ON Chevy 1500 Rear, PS, 2.0, IFP, 9.1", 0-1" Lift) MSRP $139.95 each

On 11/9/2017 at 9:57 AM, FAST380 said:

This is what Fox said, so I think we are all in agreement. 

The shocks that will best meet his needs are our Performance Series 2” shocks.

They have aluminum bodies and offer the best ride, and are serviceable as well.

The front C/O’s will come preset to level the front of the vehicle.

985-02-018 (07-ON Chevy 1500 Front Coilover, PS, 2.0, IFP, 4.3", 0-2" Lift) MSRP $449.95 each

980-24-660 (99-ON Chevy 1500 Rear, PS, 2.0, IFP, 9.1", 0-1" Lift) MSRP $139.95 each

Do not worry about the pre-load on the 2.0's. Many of the guys on the forum have run them and love them! A few people have even swapped from the bilstein 5100's and couldn't be happier! Like I mentioned before and the others are saying, you really do not need the 2.5's for your needs. I have a the Dirtking mid travel uniball upper control arms with Fox 2.5 remote reservoir DSC extended travel all the way around and I love them! Would I recommend this set up for a daily driver....... nope!  I was completely happy with the bilstein 5100 on the road. The Fox 2.0's are even better then the bilsteins! I went with this set up after off roading a lot with the bilstein 5100's and I need more out of the suspension. If my truck was mainly driven on the road I would go for the fox 2.0 all the way around and if towing more just add airbags! 

On 11/9/2017 at 9:44 AM, ChevyRoofer said:

I can comment on the rears...I was looking into getting the 2.0 fronts and 2.5 rear w/ DSC adjustable dampening.  Ended up settling with the 2.0s since I won't tow for at least 3-4 more years.

Spoke to 2 reps (Dirt King & Fox) - they both said that the 2.5 rears are used a ton for towing/if you have a loaded down bed - it basically helps stiffen the rear end up more while towing or making it softer off-road.  I plan on towing a boat in the future, so I'll be purchasing the 2.5s when I get into a 2020/2021 Silverado.

FYI from personal experience with the Fox 2.5 with DSC on the rear I would not get them to help with weight and load!  While you can adjust the DCS they are not easy to access on the rear shocks nor do the help with load. it is used for controlling dampening and rebound of travel which is different then what you were told. Trust me, I have loaded up the truck and messed with them a bunch with no real difference. It is less expansive and much easier and reliable to just add airbags with onboard air! Now when I slapped on airlift 5000 bags it was a huge difference and a quarter the price! If you offroad a lot you want to use the Daystar air bag cradles so you can get your full travel in back with the bags helping for load!

http://www.daystarweb.com/productdetail.php?productID=1232

• 1 month later...

Archived