DEF heater failure and engine light

• 3 months later...

Just came across an article that was published in the last couple of days where the EPA is now cracking down on those who are deleting emissions on diesels.  $4600 fine per occurrence.  $46,000 per occurrence by a shop.  The parent company of Bully Dog got whacked for 6.5 million dollar fine.   Might be just the EPA making an example of some to make others color within the lines, but one has to ask if they want to put their back end out there for the EPA to whack it.  

I understand why one would want to.  I am for eliminating the stuff.  But keep in mind, the EPA is looking to increase their bank account and they have turned their eye to these things long enough.   it would not surprise me if they strong arm shops into reporting of vehicles where the emissions stuff has been monkeyed with.  A real can of worms if there ever was one.

It would seem the best method to address the problem, with the least exposure to a problem, is eliminating the operation of some of this stuff via ECM software programming.  Still a risk, but if all the stuff is still on the vehicle, it is not as easy of a target.

Edited by Cowpie

• 8 months later...

My 2012 Chevrolet Diesel Silverado Truck 136,000 miles engine light and warning light for exhaust fluid issue.  Dealer says tank and heater part cost $300.  Total cost for job could run $1000.  Waiting for truck now.  Put in shop yesterday and won’t be ready until tomorrow.  Says guarantee for 2 years.  Had def injector replaced in October of last year and that costs $600.  Def sucks and should have recalls

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Also have the 2015 LML.  I see where a lot of peoples trucks went into Limp mode once they got the P21DD code.  I never did. Drove it 1,000 miles and no limp mode.  But I changed the DEF heater myself and the code is still there.  So what could the problem be if it's not the DEF heater?  I know if I take it to the dealer they will try and get me to pay for another DEF heater. So I'm trying to avoid that.  Any ideas?

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a 2021 duramax 3500 with 11,000 miles. Having the same problem. Dealership called and can't get parts, so they are hoping to have it fixed some time in June. My truck is a sitting duck and I have to still make a payment on something I can't drive. I had to purchase another vehicle just to go to work. This is beyond frustrating to say the least... I just want to sell it!