96 k1500 alternator issue

Hi, since i bought my truck i got alternator issues. Some times every thing is running good and then my voltage drops to approx12v and the engine start running rough with no power. After few minutes in idle it can come back to 14v. Some times it's the opposite, it will charge to 19v and then goes back to 14v. Alternator is test and all good. The alternator only have 2wires, the charge one and and other Brown that seem to go to my cluster.

If some one can help me it will be appreciate !!

**sorry for my bad English loll

An intermittent problem is the hardest to troubleshoot. I think when they tested the alternator, it was working good at that time. The voltage regulator is "built-in" the alternator. It sounds like that is the problem, but a rebuilt alternator will have a new one. My guess is that if you replace the alternator you will fix the problem. If you do it yourself, remember to disconnect the negative battery cable. It's also a good time to look at the belt and replace it while your there.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/19/2017 at 12:38 PM, waumo1 said:

You don't state the miles but my family owned 4 GM vehicles, 3 trucks of 1994 to 1998 vintage.  All the alternators failed in less than 10 years, most less than 50K miles.

Mine made it about 140,000 miles on my '98 1500 Express until I got the bright idea to run a wood chipper using a 12 DC to 120 AC inverter connected to my van's battery. Ordinarily this would not do any harm but for some reason I chose to leave the van running thinking the chipper might drain the battery. Next day the voltmeter gauge was showing 12 volts and the battery indicator light was on.

Archived