Improve stiff ride on 1500 with OE 20's ?

Its been a mixed batch researching this topic with some recommending changing the shocks and others the tires.Who here has changed out there original low resistance Continental Ecoplus tires on the factory 20's for something softer ? Did it soften up the ride any or are Bilstien shocks the way to go ?This is a 2WD 1500 truck so it does not have the Ranchos. Thanks in advance

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1500's can have Ranchos.  Rachos are a Z71 thing so if you have Z71, you have Ranchos. 

17" or 18" will change the ride aspect if you stay stock sizes more so than different tires for the 20"s unless you went with maybe a Michelin as they usually have a very compliant sidewall construction for softer ride.   

Thank guys but like I said I am certain I am not running Ranchos.It is a 2WD RCSB WT Blackout Edition that comes with the OE black 20's and Continental Ecoplus tires.This spec truck is fairly light and the ride feels pretty rigid so Im looking to see what light duty guys using factory 20's and 22's might be doing for improvement

2 hours ago, O_J_Simpson said:

If you have Ranchos, there is your problem. The worst shock ever to make it to production. Replace with Bilstien 5100's and move on to other problems in life.

:rollin: Ok... Do you not read? He stated he doesn't have them in the first post, or do you just come in to threads to boast how "bad" Rancho's are with out any basis other than what some people on the internet that have no technical knowledge say because of what they read?

As stated before, they aren't great shocks but they are in no way bad, especially worst ever. Will I upgrade when mine give out or are too tired, of course, but in the mean time unless you are blasting away off road regularly which is what those 5100's are designed for the rancho's will suit most everyone on this board for what they do/need. Then people go off and claim they want a much better ride (hence the shock purchase) yet they max out the pre-load on the adjustable shock and make it stiffer in many cases which nulls the original thought of getting an off road shock because it rides softer.

Question, do you work for Bilstein? You are in a lot of threads saying the same thing (crappy Rancho's, worst ever, Bilstein FTW).

OP tires won't make much of a difference. Your choices are a softer shock or smaller wheel to add more tire. Make sure the tires aren't aired up too much. It is a truck btw, don't expect a soft cushy ride...

Tyler

I'm running the stock Bridgestone 17" tires that came on my 2016 RCSB WT at 35 PSI. The ride is not great but I am used to driving trucks. I tried airing up to 40 PSI for fuel mileage. It got me about .2 of a mile per gallon and I swear I could feel grains of sand on the road !  I'm staying at 35 PSI.

I remember back in 1978 running 35" Gumbo Mudders on 15" wheels the sidewalls absorbed almost everything, even with the crappy Rancho shocks I had on the truck !

That SWB RCSB 1978 F-150 4WD rode better than my current truck and it sure was fun on the pavement in the rain !

I also have a silverado rcsb with the 20s and Continental tires. I have nothing to compare to my truck since this is my first ever vehicle. I'm happy with how the truck handles. I know if I downsize in rims it'll help but I like how the 20s fill up the wheel gap.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

My 17 silverado came with the Good Year Eagle LS2 tires, they are definitely A road bias tires no good for off-roading at all and the tread wear rating is only 360 so it likely wont last all that long, however the shorter tread life is likely due to its soft construction which does give it quite a cushy ride. I imagine the conti's have a higher tread wear number and thus trade ride quality for longer life. Anyways if you are interested in a softer ride stop by your local GM dealer and you can usually pick up a new set of Good Year LS2 "take-off" tires for big discounts at the dealer it might not make a massive difference compared to downsizing the rim but I think there would still be a decent improvement.

if you want a better ride, either change the shocks, or go with a taller sidewall, the rubber itself will make little to no difference in the ride, but the more distance between the road and the rim will, as the tire pressure will act as a secondary shock absorbed, then you got the actual one that may be tuned too stiff for your liking 

Its a truck, dont expect it to ride like an Escalade with tire change.

I did bilstein 5100s and 275/60/20 coopers, rides much better but i still feel the bumps.

If you want to glide on the road then airbag setup on all corners is going to be your option most likely.

8 hours ago, True North Truckin said:

My 17 silverado came with the Good Year Eagle LS2 tires, they are definitely A road bias tires no good for off-roading at all and the tread wear rating is only 360 so it likely wont last all that long, however the shorter tread life is likely due to its soft construction which does give it quite a cushy ride. I imagine the conti's have a higher tread wear number and thus trade ride quality for longer life. Anyways if you are interested in a softer ride stop by your local GM dealer and you can usually pick up a new set of Good Year LS2 "take-off" tires for big discounts at the dealer it might not make a massive difference compared to downsizing the rim but I think there would still be a decent improvement.

Thanks I considered the tires being too hard since the tread rating is near 700 but surprisingly these tires are rated highest among the other factory optional tires.Most reviewers likely have them on smaller rim sizes so of course there is not really much chatter regarding a stiff ride.

3 minutes ago, Ozer said:

Its a truck, dont expect it to ride like an Escalade with tire change.

I did bilstein 5100s and 275/60/20 coopers, rides much better but i still feel the bumps.

If you want to glide on the road then airbag setup on all corners is going to be your option most likely.

Most of the guys who have commented on shocks are 4WD coming from Ranchos.Is your Sierra is a 2WD 1500 ? What made a larger difference the slightly taller tires or Bilsteins ? Thanks

Archived